Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDailyCompulsion View Post
Well I called again, this time from a pay phone, and still no answer.
I don't want to have to drive all the way down there, he is completely on the other side of town and gasoline isn't exactly cheap, and my time is valuable.
And because I live so far away, he charged me a $40.00 delivery fee. My girlfriend wants to just say screw it and call a repair guy, but chances are that will cost just as much as we paid for the fridge.
That's why he is getting away with this...because people don't want to confront him. I wouldn't care what gas cost...I would be going to his place of business to make it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,628 times
I have to agree...Sometimes it is just the principle of the matter. IF he is open to giving you a replacement, make sure he delivers it for FREE. IF he is not, document your mileage and unanswered/unreturned calls and add it to the REFUND you SHOULD get.
I watch way to much daytime court tv (or have in the past) and all those judges ask for records, documentation etc... so should it go that far (which I hope it doesn't) you want to be prepared.
My sincere hope for you is that this is all a big misunderstanding/miscommunication and he will make it right!!!

I got this directly from the craigslist FAQ page...just in case...

"What recourse do I have for a transaction gone wrong or a person/post that is not being honest?
If you feel you've been cheated in a transaction or that there is false advertising on the site, please let us know so we can look into it on the site, and so we can be prepared to provide whatever help we can to police and other investigators."

Last edited by AGA; 03-17-2008 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
I have to agree...Sometimes it is just the principle of the matter. IF he is open to giving you a replacement, make sure he delivers it for FREE. IF he is not, document your mileage and unanswered/unreturned calls and add it to the REFUND you SHOULD get.
I watch way to much daytime court tv (or have in the past) and all those judges ask for records, documentation etc... so should it go that far (which I hope it doesn't) you want to be prepared.
My sincere hope for you is that this is all a big misunderstanding/miscommunication and he will make it right!!!
AMEN! I couldn't agree more.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I don't suppose you used paypal or a credit card for the transaction?

If he is also repairing appliances, you could file a bad report on Angie's list. They also may be able to provide some dispute resolution. Also there is always the BBB.

Finally, does he have a permit to run that kind of business out of his home? Does his neighborhood association know? How about the EPA ? I'm sure there are regulations out the wazoo concerning the possible things he is disposing...

Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,628 times
Oh yeah...disposing of the freon is a HUGE issue. That is why it costs so much to have someone haul a fridge away!!!
And even if there is no HOA (which I guessing there isn't) a call to codes enforcement might just "help clean up the neighborhood".

Give us some time compulsive...we can come up with alot of things to help, I'm sure!!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 PM

42 posts, read 206,048 times
Okay, thanks again for all the replies. Hopefully it is just a big misunderstanding... I called him this morning from another different number and he actually answered. I told him the refrigerator isn't working and he said "What's it doin'?" So again I said "It's not working... the freezer is running fine but the fridge part is room temperature." So he said he would see if he can get his technichian over to my place. I asked him if that would be today and he casually said "Probably not." So I asked him when he thinks he could come by and he just said he doesn't know but if he can't get him to come over he will just switch it with a different one. Hopefully he is being truthful and this matter is done with soon. Will keep you all posted.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,328 times
I know what you're going through. I, too, was recently scammed on a fridge through an apartment complex in Tampa, FL. Basically, the landlord billed me for an new fridge a month later after I moved out. They want the easy way out--an easy $500 on my tab. They refuse to just replace a part from the manufacturer, claiming that the part is very expensive and will cost as much as a new fridge. The part is just a broken plastic bar that goes to the shelf inside the fridge door. How can that cost $500? Well, I got no help from their regional manager. She told me the same crap--that they won't replace it. That the shelves are broke and the fridge is broke. Oh really, how is it that a month after I'm gone that suddenly the entire fridge is broke? They are lying, scumbag cons! My bill does not state that a fridge is broke, but merely the shelves. The new maintenance crew obviously went in there, messed up the fridge to make it look like I did it. They have keys to all the apartments and can go in them and do whatever they want, take pictures of the damage, and get away with blaming the former tenant! On top of this, they are also charging for scratched and painted on countertops that was like that when I moved in. This isn't the only scam at that apt complex.

I'm sure they have pulled this little scam on other folks before; I can't be their only victim. I warned others--Do your friends and family a big favor--don't refer them to "Ascott" place. They lure people with their $99 move-in offer, then once you're there awhile and then move out, suddenly the relationship turns sour. And don't think you're doing them any kind favors by busting your back cleaning the place, making it look nice for them. They will still charge a cleaning fee on top of anything else they want and get away with it. Where there's a will there's away, and they will find a way to charge you beyond the usual cleaning/removal fee--even if it wasn't your fault. They can't seem to hire ethical, honest people to run their office. When I was there I noticed high turnover, so many new workers come and go. New management is about the same as the old management. New faces, same old scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: