Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
a 2 bdrm apt didn't seem all that much cheaper than renting a house.
Probably the apartments that are comparable in price are slightly smaller but also closer to "stuff."

You can rent a 3 bedroom house with a yard for $1500 -- but it'll be a very small one (like 1200 sq ft) and probably far South. The comparable 2 bedroom apartment will likely be in a newer complex with amenities...but an apartment. Just depends where you want the value to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 10:26 AM

882 posts, read 688,283 times
Pretty much finished touring Round Rock yesterday. Nice city. We'll be hitting Pflugerville in the next couple of hours. I'm not seeing a lot of current listings in Cedar Park, but have a decent enough list for Leander.

I found the traffic lights interesting (nearly shot right through a red within the first 5 minutes of driving). I'm used to vertical lighting so was thrown off by the horizontal lighting.

Also, thought it was funny how Waze just didn't want me to get on I35. It was like it was screaming at me...TAKE FRONTAGE ROAD!, TAKE FRONTAGE ROAD! Now I get what all the talk is about the interstate. It gets just a tad busy at times.

Another question is how clearly marked are the toll roads (in other words, would someone absolutely know if they were entering one and being charged tolls)?

We went to a place called Baby Acapulco's last night and are going to try Black's Barbeque tonight.

Got a good Tex-Mex place for tomorrow night to suggest?

Also, the Mrs. thought the apartment suggestion was a good one, so looks like we may check at least a couple out. I think we're both finding that perhaps a town home might be a good compromise.

We're actually not used to so much space as our house in the Bay Area is a whopping 1070sf, lol.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. Nice to see so many helpful people.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 09-16-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 11:34 AM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
Depends on where you will be tomorrow? Check out Chuy's. Jack Allen's Kitchen is always tasty, not TexMex but local to here with a few locations.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Depends on where you will be tomorrow? Check out Chuy's. Jack Allen's Kitchen is always tasty, not TexMex but local to here with a few locations.
Jack Allen's will be packed for Sunday brunch; but worth the hassle, IMO. Same for Chuy's at lunch time...any location(well, except for the hassle part...get there at opening bell if you don't want to wait). You asked specifically about 'night', so that info may be of little help

Really does depend on your starting point.

You may or may not notice that the Leander, Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park "boundaries" are pretty darned fuzzy, especially as their ETJs bump together...you may not have any idea you're leaving one and entering the other, depending on your location. Take a look at Ronald Reagan Pkwy to get an idea of what I mean. Zoom WAY out to see the puzzle, then zoom in on your specific area...
Geocortex Viewer for HTML5

Old 09-16-2017, 02:57 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
Rent for 6 months to a year to figure out where you want to live.

Learn where the ghetto is and where it is not.

Also learn what you want to be close to for recreation, shopping, etc.

We live in Round Rock and it has grown quite a bit, and the city does a lot for residents.

I wouldn't rush into buying a house only to find out its too far of a drive to work, and the area is a little seedy, plus you don't like where it is.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:01 PM

882 posts, read 688,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Rent for 6 months to a year to figure out where you want to live.

Learn where the ghetto is and where it is not.

Also learn what you want to be close to for recreation, shopping, etc.

We live in Round Rock and it has grown quite a bit, and the city does a lot for residents.

I wouldn't rush into buying a house only to find out its too far of a drive to work, and the area is a little seedy, plus you don't like where it is.
Yep, exactly our intentions. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2017, 05:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Pretty much finished touring Round Rock yesterday. Nice city. We'll be hitting Pflugerville in the next couple of hours. I'm not seeing a lot of current listings in Cedar Park, but have a decent enough list for Leander.

I found the traffic lights interesting (nearly shot right through a red within the first 5 minutes of driving). I'm used to vertical lighting so was thrown off by the horizontal lighting.

Also, thought it was funny how Waze just didn't want me to get on I35. It was like it was screaming at me...TAKE FRONTAGE ROAD!, TAKE FRONTAGE ROAD! Now I get what all the talk is about the interstate. It gets just a tad busy at times.

Another question is how clearly marked are the toll roads (in other words, would someone absolutely know if they were entering one and being charged tolls)?

We went to a place called Baby Acapulco's last night and are going to try Black's Barbeque tonight.

Got a good Tex-Mex place for tomorrow night to suggest?

Also, the Mrs. thought the apartment suggestion was a good one, so looks like we may check at least a couple out. I think we're both finding that perhaps a town home might be a good compromise.

We're actually not used to so much space as our house in the Bay Area is a whopping 1070sf, lol.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. Nice to see so many helpful people.
Well, I can't get past their Interior Mexican side of the menu, but Azul Tequila is the place I take clients when they are on the fence about whether or not to move here and friends who CAN get to the TexMex side seems to enjoy it just as much. So far it always seems to do the trick of convincing them to do so. I tend to go to the original at Ben White and South Lamar, but have enjoyed the "new" one on Dry Creek Drive just as much.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:20 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
chuys is an austin staple. A lot of locals poo poo it, but their food is consistently good.

We have been going to el dorado cafe which is new and good.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
I hate Chuy's food, but their drinks are good. (Well, that's not true. I like their Baja shrimp tacos but that is it.) I like Maudie's a lot more, and Trudy's food also--and Trudy's drinks are amazing.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 AM

420 posts, read 403,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
I hate Chuy's food, but their drinks are good. (Well, that's not true. I like their Baja shrimp tacos but that is it.) I like Maudie's a lot more, and Trudy's food also--and Trudy's drinks are amazing.
That's funny. I've never been a fan of Trudy's food, and really enjoy Chuy's (Hatch enchiladas for the win for me) - different strokes! Both do have the best Mexican Martinis.

Since OP is north side, I'd probably lean Chuys on I35, or Trudys North Star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin