Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times

Advertisements

4 of us guys are heading to Austin for 4 days in early November.

We are in our 40s. Longtime friends that haven't all been together in a few years (moving away and such).

I'd be curious to hear some recommendations for places to go. Things we like:
  • Drinking (mix of American swill, craft beers, general cocktails, nothing highbrow)
  • Games in bars (pool, ping pong, Golden Tee, darts, random other stuff)
  • Beautiful people. We are married, and not strip joint people, but we enjoy having beautiful people around for the ambience.
  • Sports (already going to the UT game that weekend, but awesome sports bars are a plus)
  • Poker - seems there is seriously no gambling anywhere. Is that right?
  • Exploring - any areas outside the main center of the city worth seeing for 1/2 a day nearby?
  • Food - very tasty, but not super expensive.
  • Meeting locals - people who'd be receptive/friendly to 4 middle aged guys from the north. We are a social bunch, and on prior trips some of the best times we've had were goofing around with locals wherever we were.

We will not have a car, but if something extremely cool came up that needed a ride, we might be open to renting one for a day. We are staying in the Clarksville area of town.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 02:35 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
A few random thoughts:

- Take a car to Lockhart/Luling for an afternoon of BBQ at Three different holy grail stops.

- A mid to late morning hike up "The Rock" & an Afternoon of Wine Tasting driving back from F'burg.

- If the first weekend in Nov, might want to head down to New Braunfels/Gruene for a day. Wurstfest on a Friday night or all day on Sunday (& then some CFS at the Gristmill or a band at the Gruene Hall).

On all 3 of these day trips, it would probably be smart to have a designated driver, fwiw.

Here's a couple of links from guys who posted similar ISOs last year:

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...l#post49340045

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...l#post45080056

Have fun !!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:06 PM

The Lockhart option sounds pretty awesome. Wonder what an Uber would cost to go 30 miles each way. LOL.

What about right in town? Recommended places to go that fit my bullet points?

Old 09-18-2017, 03:10 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I've visited Austin twice this year (first time for me). Was with my daughter both times. We basically walked and didn't drive anywhere.

For the drinking, bar games, etc - 6th Street, period (at least my opinion). Beer pong in bars, and one has basketball sized beer pong. Lots of choices, including sports bars. Towards the business end of 6th St in the Lamar St direction, bars a tad more upscale. Also some good eats. I enjoyed ALC (Austin Land & Cattle) if you like steak houses.

I run, and enjoyed the bike trail along the Colorado River.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
Kung Fu Saloon
people watching at the outside bars at the JW Marriott, W

Had to laugh at the beautiful people comment. You mean so you can flirt with the ladies? Not judging - just struck me funny And anyway, it's Texas! Like the song says, Texas women is Texas gold.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Kung Fu Saloon
people watching at the outside bars at the JW Marriott, W

Had to laugh at the beautiful people comment. You mean so you can flirt with the ladies? Not judging - just struck me funny And anyway, it's Texas! Like the song says, Texas women is Texas gold.
Until they get here and see how young the nightlife here skews and how all the young ladies are skeeved out by the grandpas trying to flirt with them.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Ha, well, not flirt, necessarily. Gawk maybe? Also, we're in our 40s, not 50/60. Frankly would be more comfortable in bars that aren't totally stuffed with 20-somethings.

Would love a mixed crowd, or at least some places where people are 30s, not 20s.

I did run across the Kung Fu Saloon in my searches and it looked pretty interesting.

Parlor and Yard looked really cool (for the daytime).

Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
well A-Tex, there's lots of 30s and 40s obnoxious, skeezy types hanging out at the bars on West 6th heading towards Mopac. Fave bar right now is Roosevelt Room. OP, check the music calendar for Cedar Street, Guero's, C-Boys, Stubbs

Old 09-18-2017, 05:12 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
For bars, forget 6th street. Rainey Street - good mix of age groups. You shouldn't feel like you're crashing a college party but you will definitely not be the most attractive people there. Don't try to park there (take an Uber in and out) but it's a good time.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Also look into the Domain or Mueller. Rock Rose is fun and an older crowd. Mueller has some good spots and is a bit more family friendly, but has some hipsters around to look at. A friend and I went to Stella Public House last Friday and were pretty gross from a work-out but were surrounded by a mixed crowd. The food and drinks were great. Mueller is more central and the Domain is more north. The domain has Punch Bowl Social which would have a lot of those games and bar atmosphere you're looking for. I'm pretty sure it's a chain, so it's not unique to Austin, but the area is very nice. I'll also throw out Manor Road east of 35 as a nice spot with some chill bars. Check out Haymaker and cross the street to get some great pasta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin