Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 09:03 AM

24 posts, read 18,875 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to let people know that the water surrounding the Auditorium shores dog park is carrying a staph bacteria that infected my dogs. I took my dogs there and made the mistake of not bathing them afterwards. (I will not make that mistake again) Overnight my bulldogge started to get a rash and blisters on his back. I took him to the vet and after a skin scrape we found out it's a bacterial infection. After I told my vet what happened she said that she knew the area and that the water there is nasty and to wash my dogs if I let them swim there in the future. So just a word of caution to keep in mind if you are enjoying that dog park.

He is on some antibiotics and it's clearing up pretty quick, so if you have noticed any skin issues after visiting that dog park I would go check with your vet to be safe.

This is him at the dog park in question with no skin issues

A pic showing the location, as you can see the skyline behind him.

And this is him the day after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 AM

202 posts, read 350,386 times
Good to know!!! It's been a couple weeks since we've been and I was wanting to go soon, but now I will stray away for a bit. So glad to hear your pupper is doing well!!!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,494,433 times
Looks like he could use a little something for wrinkles

Glad he's OK.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:32 PM

844 posts, read 2,014,737 times
Oh jeez, that's awful - glad he's recovering!

Old 10-01-2017, 11:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,441,656 times
Is that dog park also not fenced? One of the reasons why I've been avoiding these unfenced dog parks is because they have bodies of water I don't want my dog swimming in.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,631,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Is that dog park also not fenced? One of the reasons why I've been avoiding these unfenced dog parks is because they have bodies of water I don't want my dog swimming in.
It is unfenced. I take my dog there specifically for the water. I think a big chunk if its visitors come for the water. Seeing this is a bummer.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:53 AM

24 posts, read 18,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It is unfenced. I take my dog there specifically for the water. I think a big chunk if its visitors come for the water. Seeing this is a bummer.
Yes we went there for the water too, my dogs can be heat sensitive. My vet did say that you can wash the dog afterwards and that it may prevent illness.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:47 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,631,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post
Yes we went there for the water too, my dogs can be heat sensitive. My vet did say that you can wash the dog afterwards and that it may prevent illness.
I was just there last week and haven't had any issues with my pup, but I will now start to wash him off at home after. I usually let him jump in and get wet and then run around and dry off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin