Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:46 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1457 View Post
^^^ this is 90% of the responses in this forum. People come here to market their neighborhoods.. The people who live in the best neighborhoods don't waste their time on this forum, only the shills.
People explain what they like (and don't like) about the neighborhood they live in or have lived in. Would you rather they tell you how bad or good neighborhoods they don't live in are? I like my neighborhood, I will point out the good (and the bad), but honestly, I don't want the values to go up here - it just means higher taxes. I may also tell someone why I did not chose to live in another neighborhood. My reasons may not match another persons perspective, but it may still be helpful.

But if you mean the really, really rich people don't post on here, you are probably correct. But we have had posters from all across the city (and surroundings), so I guess none of those could be the best anymore since someone decided to post from them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
People explain what they like (and don't like) about the neighborhood they live in or have lived in. Would you rather they tell you how bad or good neighborhoods they don't live in are? I like my neighborhood, I will point out the good (and the bad), but honestly, I don't want the values to go up here - it just means higher taxes. I may also tell someone why I did not chose to live in another neighborhood. My reasons may not match another persons perspective, but it may still be helpful.

But if you mean the really, really rich people don't post on here, you are probably correct. But we have had posters from all across the city (and surroundings), so I guess none of those could be the best anymore since someone decided to post from them .
Nailed it, TW. I post enthusiastically about my neighborhood (and on a larger scale, my area/city) because I truly like where I live. A lot. As a prospective buyer new to a state or city, I'd love to hear from people who actually live in the city who can give me great recommendations and truly love where they live. Many people give opinions on this forum based on driving through an area visiting a relative or what they've heard from others. I derive no benefit from my enthusiasm, because it just encourages more people and more people brings more taxes somewhere down the line

Old 09-28-2017, 05:55 PM

163 posts, read 158,843 times
Tarrytown, Pemberton Heights, Westlake Hills,

Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscityseeker View Post
Safe, clean, perhaps more expensive, well regarded areas in the Austin metro..?
"Most desirable" is highly subjective.

Many of us have no desire to live in the city of Austin. So "most desirable" would be outside the city.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1457 View Post
The people who live in the best neighborhoods don't waste their time on this forum, only the shills.
You might be surprised.....

Old 10-01-2017, 06:29 PM

151 posts, read 238,586 times
Westlake (Westlake Hills, Rollingwood, Rob Roy, Davenport, Seven Oaks to be specific), Tarrytown, Mount Bonnell, Pemperton Heights, Highland Park West, Cat Mountain, Barton Creek, anything on Lake Austin, and generally everything else along 360.

Of the mentioned neighborhoods, Tarrytown, Pemperton Heights, Mount Bonnell, Highland Park West, Cat Mountain and stuff north of Lake Austin along 360 are in Austin proper. Parts of Davenport has portion within the city limits of Austin too. The other areas are outside the city limits.

Last edited by sua2017; 10-01-2017 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 03:54 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse2000 View Post
Lake Travis area

Very safe, great schools, good restaurants and reliable shopping, specially around Bee Cave.
Depending of your budget you can buy single family homes from around $400,000 to over $1,000,000 in places like Spanish
Oaks, my favorite.

I am within 10 minutes to movies, shopping, restaurant, supermarkets like HEB and Whole Foods.

Within 20 minutes to the Barton Creek Mall.

30 minutes to downtown.

I love this area!
Hi ~ Coming to see the area has been on our 'agenda' for about 9 months now (hoping to make it there in Nov). Could you tell me some differences between Lakeway and Bee Cave? I love the 'original' 60's-70's style homes of Lakeway. Is that 'style' predominantly just in Lakeway? Thank you!!

Old 10-04-2017, 04:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
Hi ~ Coming to see the area has been on our 'agenda' for about 9 months now (hoping to make it there in Nov). Could you tell me some differences between Lakeway and Bee Cave? I love the 'original' 60's-70's style homes of Lakeway. Is that 'style' predominantly just in Lakeway? Thank you!!
Bee Cave isn't old enough to really have much that old. This year marks 30 years since Bee Cave was created, and there's a big party coming up. You'll find a few here and there still on some land, but for the most part, Bee Cave is "new" with newer homes.

Other differences is Bee Cave city tax is way low at a mere 0.02%. Most of Bee Cave communities have HOA's where the older Lakeway neighborhoods don't have HOAs (some do). Bee Cave neighborhoods are "master planned" for the most part. Only the newer Lakeway communities are master planned.

For the most part, it's called "the Lake Travis area" since it's all Lake Travis ISD, so it's all about the same. Much of the area is not even "in" a city. It's "Travis County" which is why many people just call it Lake Travis area or Lakeway area.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:48 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,673 times
Thank you FalconheadWest. That helps a lot.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
FWIW, I went out to Bee Cave for BBQ when I first came to Austin in 1969. At that point it had been a community (very small, but a community nonetheless) for quite a while - since before the first post office in 1870. It wasn't incorporated until 1987, but it was there. It was quite a drive out in the country, but well worth it.

Lakeway was first started to be a resort community and hotel in 1962 and real estate development started very soon after that. Lakeway incorporated in 1974, by which time it was definitely a community. (It was still "out by the lake" and more of a retirement/lake home community then - at that point 2222 and Mopac was not far from being out in the boonies and 2222 was still curvy and fun to drive! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin