Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 55,648 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Texan who graduated from UT and has been out of state too long! I am planning a move back to Austin, and upon a recent trip noticed the problem with the areas McMansions. These things are everywhere! Who's allowing them to be permitted? Where's the legislation banning these eye sores from Austin's beautiful historic neighborhoods? Man, it's heart-breaking to see what some of these 'developers' have done. They use every square inch of possible building envelope, then you end up with huge lot coverage and a ruined street.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - I'm a real estate guy (isn't everybody), but it's been my passion for the last 15 years since my days at UT- I LOVE historic charm, right through the cool 50's and 60's ranches, and I'd love to make it my goal to return to Austin and personally help get measures into place that would make it impossible for these bohemeth properties to get approved in the first place. People complain, and the local politicians 'talk' about the issue, but obviously there's been no action. Keep Austin Weird and Keep Austin ORIGINAL is the goal right? It's a crying shame to see that beautifully restored single story home from 1945, sitting side by side with a 5,000 square foot stone covered square box that takes away any view whatsoever and makes it look like you're staring at a gigantic wall..

I'm on here to find out what people in Austin know about any measures in place, or proposed, that would combat this problem.. Anyone???

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 03:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Here ya go: McMansion Ordinance.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 PM

17 posts, read 43,149 times
Obviously more government is needed to force people to only build houses you like.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Keep Austin Weird is about to be gone. Conservatives are moving in and want to see CHANGE.

Bye, bye hippies and hello white collar workers!! Now let's finish up putting those 500sq ft / $400K condo's in the middle of downtown. Then let's make it bigger then the Frost Bank Tower!!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbang View Post

I'm on here to find out what people in Austin know about any measures in place, or proposed, that would combat this problem.. Anyone???

Cheers.
The Austin Chronicle has some good journalists writing about this every week; Katherine Gregor and Wells Dunbar in particular.

The articles are all on the AC website archive The Austin Chronicle

Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 AM

251 posts, read 710,133 times
Quote:
Conservatives are moving in and want to see CHANGE.
That's scary seeing the words "conservative, want and change" in the same sentence without seeing "don't or against" somewhere in there.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I wouldn't blame all that on conservatives. After all, downtown is primarily more liberal than the outlying counties. I agree with the limits, especially after moving from Houston where there is no zoning. I know it's only one persons personal opinion, but I don't like Mcmansions stuffed onto small lots either.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I agree, love roses. And you're not alone - that's why there IS a McMansion Ordinance, because enough people objected to the McMansioning of established neighborhoods with the building of oversized houses that completely destroyed the ambiance for their neighbors. And not all of those are "hippies", either (though a lot of us were). Many are people who want to preserve their property values as well as the nature of the city itself. (And Keep Austin Weird isn't going away any time soon.)

Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 70,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Keep Austin Weird is about to be gone. Conservatives are moving in and want to see CHANGE.

Bye, bye hippies and hello white collar workers!! Now let's finish up putting those 500sq ft / $400K condo's in the middle of downtown. Then let's make it bigger then the Frost Bank Tower!!
The areas where mcmansions are being built are in town and very much blue areas where rich Democrats live. Also I doubt there is a single Republican living in any of these city and condo towers, lofts etc.

Conservative vs. hippy has nothing to do with it. The Keep Austin weird vibe is being lost because of yuppie rich liberal democrat Hillary and Obama supporters who watch too much HGTV and want everything nice, big, modern and NEW.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:57 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Also I doubt there is a single Republican living in any of these city and condo towers, lofts etc.
Oh, there are a few lawyers that I know that will be moving down there, and I suspect there are a few Republicans amoung them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin