Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 10:39 AM

27 posts, read 42,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I had moved to Austin (from California) back in early 2012, but it didn't work out for me as I had hoped it would, and I returned to California to a great career in late 2015. Problem is, I still have a lot of my stuff in storage out there in Austin. My biggest concern right now is bringing back to California one of my autos. It was non-operational the entire 3 .5 years I lived there, so I never got it registered and it still has Calif. plates with 2011 reg. tags. But now that I've had it all repaired and plan to drive it back to California end of this month, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to get it registered in Texas as long as I can provide an address and my (still valid) Texas DL. I'm only asking this because driving this car (which does draw a little attention) across Texas with expired registration makes me nervous, and I also think it would be cheaper to register it there, rather than deal with all the expired registration BS out in California. Any thoughts on this, or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 10:48 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
You know, honestly, if I were you, I'd call the Travis County tax office and ask them what to do. I just looked on their website and they have temporary permits but I didn't check to see what qualifies.

https://tax-office.traviscountytx.go...s/temp-permits

Main number: (512) 854-9473 Monday - Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. CST

TaxOffice@traviscountytx.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: