Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times

Advertisements

After reading all those posts on "Keep ____ Weird: if not Austin where else?", I started to get bummed out. So I will lead the pack on posting about the great things I know about Austin I have wanted to move to Austin for the last 7 years and I'm finally realizing that dream this summer. So here is what I know for sure about Austin.

1. I have never met an unfriendly person in my many visits to Austin over the past 8 years.

2. I can go out ANY night of the week and hear great live music...not so where I currently live which is Pittsburgh. In Austin, there are all genres of music represented on any given night.

3. The weather--yes even the hot, scorching summers! I love them. Yes, it's hot, but you acclimate to the weather.

4. The laid back attitudes of sales clerks, waitresses. I love how waitresses come over and sit down at your table and talk to you first, then take your order, and then talk some more! It's refreshing to me! It makes me want to tip them even more.

5. The multitude of outdoor activities available in Austin.

6. The hike & bike trails all over the area.

7. Town Lake...oops-sorry, I meant Lady Bird Lake.

8. The Mom & Pop bars in the neighborhood...for instance, Ginny's Little Longhorn--where else can you go and have a great time, play Chicken Sh#t Bingo and listen to great country music!?!?

9. Floating the Guadalupe--yeah, I know--not in Austin, but not a far drive either!!

10. The many festivals.

I'll come back and post more...just need some more time to think. Feel free to add why you think Austin is a great place to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 19,847 times
So glad to scoot by this post! We moved to Texas and made the HUGE mistake of landing in Dallas! Which personally I can't wait to escape!!!! I have been begging my other half to please get us back home, but really in all reality I LOVE Texas and would love to find someplace better than Dallas to make our HOME in!

We are driving down to Austin this week and I am very excited! I can't wait to check it out and fingers crossed we will be able to relocate from the smoggy town of Dallas to Austin

Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM

147 posts, read 695,458 times
Your no wannabe friend, you're already a Texan.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
Your no wannabe friend, you're already a Texan.
Thanks JJ! Coming from you, I'm quite honored

Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
The laid back attitudes ...
That's what brought me here in 1985. We live at a more brisk pace now, but relative to other places in the country, Austin is laid back in the right ways.

That said, it's still easy for a family to over-schedule their kids, for Dad to work too hard, for Mom to work to hard, for everyone to be in too much of a hurry, etc.

Then one has to remember "Hey, it's Austin, slow down, chill out, relax. "

Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl72 View Post
So glad to scoot by this post! We moved to Texas and made the HUGE mistake of landing in Dallas! Which personally I can't wait to escape!!!! I have been begging my other half to please get us back home, but really in all reality I LOVE Texas and would love to find someplace better than Dallas to make our HOME in!

We are driving down to Austin this week and I am very excited! I can't wait to check it out and fingers crossed we will be able to relocate from the smoggy town of Dallas to Austin
I totally understand what you are talking about. A few years back, we moved from Austin to Dallas for half a year. I insisted that we move back, and we did. It was horrible. I hated it. Valet parking, horrible allergies worse than Austin. Come to Austin, you'll love it!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 AM

122 posts, read 407,368 times
Hey Texanwannabe!

Thanks for posting all the positives about Austin! We moved here in August, and we are very happy. We must do that Guadalupe float soon! BTW, where is Ginny's Little Longhorn??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
After reading all those posts on "Keep ____ Weird: if not Austin where else?", I started to get bummed out. So I will lead the pack on posting about the great things I know about Austin I have wanted to move to Austin for the last 7 years and I'm finally realizing that dream this summer. So here is what I know for sure about Austin.

1. I have never met an unfriendly person in my many visits to Austin over the past 8 years.

2. I can go out ANY night of the week and hear great live music...not so where I currently live which is Pittsburgh. In Austin, there are all genres of music represented on any given night.

3. The weather--yes even the hot, scorching summers! I love them. Yes, it's hot, but you acclimate to the weather.

4. The laid back attitudes of sales clerks, waitresses. I love how waitresses come over and sit down at your table and talk to you first, then take your order, and then talk some more! It's refreshing to me! It makes me want to tip them even more.

8. The Mom & Pop bars in the neighborhood...for instance, Ginny's Little Longhorn--where else can you go and have a great time, play Chicken Sh#t Bingo and listen to great country music!?!?

9. Floating the Guadalupe--yeah, I know--not in Austin, but not a far drive either!!

10. The many festivals.

I'll come back and post more...just need some more time to think. Feel free to add why you think Austin is a great place to live

Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
5434 Burnet Road is where Ginny's is located. I have yet to win a game of Chicken Sh_t bingo but I've had fun trying.

I'll recommend the Horse Shoe Lounge for a cold beer. It is at South Lamar and Oltorf.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 AM

I have yet to win a game of chicken Sh#t bingo at Ginny's also , but it's still loads of fun! You feel like you're with family when you are there! (I don't know if that's a good thing or not!).

I also forgot to mention The Broken Spoke...I love going there also and seeing James White all gussied up in his colorful western shirts!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
Cool been here 45 years and loving every minute

yeah austin is a great place to live but if it keeps getting any bigger it will be for naught. we need some of you outta towners to teach us how to use other forms of transportation because this traffic is ruining the image of austin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post

10. The many festivals.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: