Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times

Advertisements

Weirdly, my 8 mile commute has gotten better because I live central, just south of the river and I go north on I35 in the morning, through downtown to 290 E, and the heaviest traffic on the adjoining roads has now moved well south (Stasseney) and well north (Grand Ave Parkway) and that is where accidents are more common. It is slow moving crossing the river every day but then quickly opens up. 15 years ago the choke points were closer in to the south (William Cannon, Oltorf, Riverside) as well as north (St John's, 51st, Airport) and my morning drive was closer to 30 minutes, now it is reliably 20. Development changes congestion patterns in all sorts of ways! I know there is some sort of measurable effect when traffic gets heavy enough that people stop changing lanes to "maximize their speed" which slows the overall speed significantly and the heavier traffic actually moves a bit faster overall and accidents are reduced as well. I think this is what now happens through downtown, further out you get drivers frustrated by the long effort to get on the highway and less steady traffic when they get on, so changes in speed and changes in lanes, and then bam! accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 AM

56 posts, read 105,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I lived off of East Parmer Lane and took 35 and some random back roads in to work each day. Traffic really wasn't too bad. I'm from the Northeast, so maybe I'm use to it, but there were never days where I was in traffic for hours in Austin. I think it's a well-planned city, even the sprawling areas outside of the city.

The other nice thing about Austin is the toll roads are barely ever used it seems and the speed limits are higher. So if you don't mind paying, you could always use those roads if you're looking to get rid of sitting in traffic.

I agree with Mr Jones. I recently move to Austin from the northeast and the traffic here isn't as bad. I guess it depends on what you're used to. I drive a lot for work so I'm in this traffic every day but I've noticed myself complaining much less about traffic in Texas than I did in NYC and NJ. I've also been in LA traffic so Austin traffic isn't nearly as bad as bigger cities. Sometimes I'll avoid the highways and find back roads that are empty during rush hour. In North NJ and NY, EVERY street has traffic.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
In the past couple years I've had 2 instances of leaving events in the downtown area of Austin in late afternoon on a weekday. In both instances, it took me 90 minutes to get out of Travis County on I-35, which is more time than it took to drive the rest of the way to home in San Antonio.

Yes, your traffic is bad, compared to San Antonio's.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:09 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
In the past couple years I've had 2 instances of leaving events in the downtown area of Austin in late afternoon on a weekday. In both instances, it took me 90 minutes to get out of Travis County on I-35, which is more time than it took to drive the rest of the way to home in San Antonio.

I have that happen in reverse! Leave NB around five and spend as much time getting from NB to the approach to Stassney as I do getting from the Stassney exit of I35 to home! And I live south of downtown!

Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 PM

420 posts, read 403,217 times
Quote:

Strangely. We DGAF. Thanks for leaving your money!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
I'd say if you were driving southbound on MoPac between 2222 and the river on any Saturday in the past two months, you would think traffic IS THAT BAD. Gridlock city.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 AM

11 posts, read 8,927 times
I think it's all relative. I hate it, but that is because I live outside of Austin and am spoiled. My California and Houston clients think the traffic is laughable. And YES, compared to places in Europe (you hit the nail on the head with Paris) the traffic here is a walk in the park.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
It was already untenable in the 1990s when I lived there.
Can't imagine dealing with it now.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgochamp View Post
I agree with Mr Jones. I recently move to Austin from the northeast and the traffic here isn't as bad. I guess it depends on what you're used to. I drive a lot for work so I'm in this traffic every day but I've noticed myself complaining much less about traffic in Texas than I did in NYC and NJ. I've also been in LA traffic so Austin traffic isn't nearly as bad as bigger cities. Sometimes I'll avoid the highways and find back roads that are empty during rush hour. In North NJ and NY, EVERY street has traffic.
Yes, but the northeast, specifically NYC, has a far superior mass transit system. I didn't learn how to drive until I was in my mid thirties, picture that. Sure there's plenty of gridlock in NYC but that only affects the suburbanites who refuse to use Metro North. Most native New Yorkers take public transit.

Traffic into and through Austin in horrible. I have friends who live in town who say their commute from the eastern part of the city to their kid's school on Lamar can take up to an hour. An HOUR. He is actually amazed by this and I don't blame him. This is coming from a guy who has lived in Austin for much of his life. There are few "back roads" that can help many of the commuters here as they all end up leading to the "main roads" that are always gunked up.

I don't complain about it though. Call it capitulation or resignation. I am very happy where I moved and if I wanted to move closer, I would. but actually moving into the city wouldn't save me much time in traffic at all. Short of living centrally, all of the other northern locations have local traffic that can take over thirty minutes (I commute into downtown).

Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Quote:

I have been to Austin many times and luckily haven't experienced any heavy traffic congestion other than on I-35. Hopefully Austin does build up its mass transit or freeway system in coming years to handle the growing population. If Austin added roughly 800,000 people to Travis county it would be the size of S.A/Bexar County and it would then have a horrendous traffic problem when it reaches that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin