Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:38 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,966,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
Vendors can walk when it is convenient with very little penalty.
WTF does that have to do with the bond? You think vendors paid out of the operations budget can't walk?

The source of the money is meaningless for the vendors. They're paid the same, it goes through the same procurement process. The contracts are the same.

The difference is Robin Hood makes non-bond money more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:04 PM

172 posts, read 176,498 times
I would assume taking on a bond would be the smart move if the rate you get the bond at is less than the rate the State recaptures our money via Robin Hood. Then you factor inflation into the scenario.

If Robin Hood was either reworked or done away with, AISD's M&O budget could be used better for maintenance (paint, sidewalks, etc) as well as raises for the teachers. Until then, AISD either languishes or passes bonds.

I've always complained about the number of administrators on the payroll. But I've been reminded of all the mandates that must be followed by the district. There's a lot more work that goes into education today. Think of Special Ed/Special Needs. It's a lot more involved, and there are many more hoops to jump through, than it was when I was in school in Austin in the 90s.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM

420 posts, read 400,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
novacek understand it perfectly - what you don't seems to get is they are adding BONDS on top of the property tax for stupid things like painting - sidewalk etc

that over time will explode the total rate you pay - i guess you don't care if they BARROW today and pay 2-3-4-5 times more over the life of the bond to theses issues - buts math is math -you can not barrow yourself out of problems - try refinancing your house every year to paint it, put a new roof, replace the windows, repairs the slab, etc etc and where you are - simple you a heck of alot more than either your house is worth or you can't pay the bills

liberals use these tricks for those who don't understand basic math or are not paying attention -

all i am saying is any attention on what they are using bonds for - or i guarantee you austin will become just another broke california type city - history is repeating itself

you are going to see more and more of the budget go to payroll, benefits, etc and less available for required maintenance - just watch
Please try and learn what a bond is first.
Then learn how to spell.
Then construct a sentence.

Then you might be able to articulate an argument.

You're literally the poster child for why we need to invest in education first and foremost. Otherwise, we end up with, well, people like you running rampant on their coached talking points and lacking the ability to think for themselves.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 PM

716 posts, read 534,306 times
sticks and stones thats all you got you aint got crap - i know what a bonds is and how they work and what they do to out of control liberals who like to use them for everything from sidewalk repair to planting trees to painting buildings-

stick you butt in the sand and deny that that can will be misused by the politicians - i won't

Old 11-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
sticks and stones thats all you got you aint got crap - i know what a bonds is and how they work and what they do to out of control liberals who like to use them for everything from sidewalk repair to planting trees to painting buildings-

stick you butt in the sand and deny that that can will be misused by the politicians - i won't
I'm pretty conservative, both fiscally and socially. You are making us look bad. You have the right to speak your mind, but c'mon, man.

I understand your concern about governments, and in this case, school boards, wasting taxpayer money. That is a legit concern. You have made it known that you do not want to use bonds. My question to you is: what do you suggest we do instead of issuing bonds?

AISD's current budget covers the basics: salaries and some upkeep. How do we address the deteriorating buildings? How do we address overcrowding in some schools without expansion? How do we address modernizing the system to keep up with other districts around us?

Do we raise the tax rate so we have more money in the budget to address those things?

Do we rely on increasing tax appraisals and keep the tax rate steady?

How do we account for Robin Hood taking more and more money as either the tax rate or tax appraisal goes up?

How do we address multiple facility needs in the short term? Do we just address one issue at a time while the other situations worsen? Or do we issue bonds to address multiple problems now instead of later?

I'd like to hear your solutions.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 PM

420 posts, read 400,451 times
Quote:

I’ll keep my ass in the sand, and my toes in the water. Thanks.

Just answer the questions in Al’s post above in a manner that actually makes sense.

Bottom line, the bond makes sense. It’ll be our responsibility as voters to hold the administration accountable. And it sure beats paying a 25% tax to recapture on the exact same money.

I’ll understand if you’re just too myopic to somehow not make this a partisan issue.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:22 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,605,987 times
Whatever your opinion is, if you haven't voted already, vote today by 7pm. You can vote at any location.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 PM

For: 70%
Against: 30%

31% reporting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin