U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,074 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I am considering taking a new job and it may require relocation to the Austin area. My wife and I currently live in Redding, CA which is a primarily a rural area 3 hours north of the Bay Area. My wife and I are mostly conservative in our values and morals and are just looking to get some feedback regarding the Austin area. We hear that Austin is mostly "liberal" but Texas as a whole is mostly conservative.

Also, we LOVE the mountains and I understand there are no mountains in Austin. How have others managed?

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 PM

20,964 posts, read 42,556,131 times
Well, if you just MUST have mountains, you can take a road trip to Big Bend.

Austin is mostly a live and let live kind of place (with a few outliers). Which is to say, conservatives and liberals tend to get along. You might be more comfortable, from what you say, in one of the more rural areas around Austin - would you be working north or south?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 PM

147 posts, read 665,948 times
All things being equal, I think you'd have yourself a good time in Dallas.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,484 times
Jimmyjack must think there are mountains in Dallas. Regarding your traditional values and morals, you would be welcome in Austin. As Texas Horselady said, Austin is very much a live and let live kind of place. Also I would say in general that Austin is not particularly liberal democrat as much as it is made up of people who don't really trust government or big business, on both sides of the spectrum. So I'd say it's kind of a libertarian town with leftist views on environment and conservative views on taxes and government.

Just avoid certain parts of town like Hyde Park and you'll be fine. You should try looking for houses in southwest Austin.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM

147 posts, read 665,948 times
No Maam;

When we want mountains here like the ones they have in California, we go to Colorado. There's no way around that and hills don't count. Having been to Redding, I think they would like Dallas a lot more than Austin.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 AM

6,331 posts, read 17,065,869 times
This has come up in multiple threads in the past, such as "is Austin Liberal", etc.

The blunt truth is nobody really cares about your values and morals in Austin. You will be judged on whether you are a fun and interesting person to be around, common interests you share with others, activities you enjoy, whether you're a friendly neighbor, competent co-worker, good parent, etc.

The real question is, will you be accepting of others if you judge them to have values and morals different than your own? If not, Austin might not be the place for you because there are all types of people here.

I have friends from all stripes and with most it just doesn't come up that often in conversation how we vote or or what we think about the subject of the day. I do have a few friends with whom I enjoy debating those types of things, but we appreciate each other and know that our friendship is enriched by our differences.

So, yes you will be accepted but not because you are conservative but because you are a good friend to others.

Steve

Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 AM

27 posts, read 102,731 times
Steve,

You just stole my words man. Well stated! I am from Austin and went to college out at Tech, that's Texas Tech for those of you who are not from Texas. Let me tell you, if that's your kind of place, you might not like Austin, Dallas would indeed be better for you. I am not talking about the views, none...I'm talking about mentality of people. Overall, very critical of others and I have never seen that many W04 bumper stickers on cars, i mean trucks in my life at a college campus. Austin has the best mix of people, food, parks, cleaner than every other city in Texas, not even close, more educated people, etc... .

Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 AM

9,247 posts, read 25,370,394 times
I'll 3rd what Austin steve said And I'm a conservative who lives just outside of Austin and like he says, I have friends of all types. No one is confrontational like they are in other cities and I love that.

As for the mountain issue. We are originally from Texas and moved to Colorado for about 5/6 yrs. and then when we moved back, we chose the Austin area. It's not mountainous, but the hills are pretty good sized and eased the shock Like another post says, just take a jaunt out to West Texas or even hop a flight to Colorado or New Mexico to get your mountain fix. It's only about 2-2.5 hours by plane to Colorado and NM and West Texas would be even quicker than that.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM

27 posts, read 102,731 times
Some might not like hearing the truth, but the truth hurts at times. I will be the first to be brutally honest with you...if you do not like Austin or the people, or the lack of mountains, don't make the move! Visit before you move always! We have so many damn California people living here now, they act as if this is the mini-cali...not really. If you are truly from A-town as some of us refer to it, or whatever other name you "very few locals" call it, you know the true Austin and it's slowly starting to drift away. I know and like many of the Cali folks who have made Austin their home and can totally see their motives for the move-$$$. I do not blame them, infact I do not blame them at all, but if you come here, please do not complain about the atmosphere and lack of. I will just tell you...very hot humid summers and early falls, no mountains, but very nice hills, traffic sucks here too, but not near as bad as Cali, wages do not pay near as well, but the cost of living is way lower! For us locals, we are pissed off about the Cali movement because for us, the cost of living has gone way north. That's it for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: