Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times

Advertisements

As a recent transplant, I've sort of been enjoying the various questions I get as soon as someone finds out I'm a newbie. Just for fun, I've compiled a short list of the top inquiries that I've heard from co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances, etc...

My top 3:

1.) "So, what brought you to Austin?" This question seems to be flavored with a mixture of surprise, authentic interest and maybe even a bit of suspicion The surprise usually comes when I mention that we chose to come here. I can understand this, as it can sometimes be hard to see the attraction in the familiar.

2.) Where did you come from and what's it like? They know I'm a Yankee but they're not sure from what state/region. Cleveland, Ohio doesn't seem too common of an answer, so I get a bit of exotic points here Interestingly, most people think I'm from New York. I suppose it's a bit of dialect atavism...both of my folks are from Pennsylvania, which has a combined East-Coast/hillbilly accent.

3.) "What do you think so far?" I'm generally very positive but I have brought up a few things that bother me about the city and for the most part, people have been pretty receptive. They seem to be generally interested and amused by the things I notice as someone who isn't from here. Most people I've met from work, live fairly far outside of the city and so I'm kind of the "city guy" who can ride his bike to work. Funny stuff!

So what are your's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
When you tell people you're from Cleveland, do they bellow "CLEVELAAANNDD!!!"?

I have no idea why but I do that every time I get off the plane in Cleveland when visiting friends.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post

I have no idea why but I do that every time I get off the plane in Cleveland when visiting friends.
HAHAHAHA!

I get A LOT of Drew Carey questions...funny thing is I've never watched that damn show. I saw the opening sequence once with him jumping about to the "Cleveland Rocks" song and became nauseous immediately. Sort of like the "Keep Austin Weird" and "Live Music Capital of the World" Chamber of Commerce slogans...like a nickname gone bad

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
"CLEVELAAANDD" ....that reminds me of a not so funny story. I was walking out of the stadium in Pittsburgh several years ago when the Browns beat the Steelers (rare happening --and you know it's true Twange!) when this black man followed me out yelling "CLEVELLAAANDD" just to irritate me. He saw I was wearing black & gold. He must have been 7 ft tall, but I didn't care...I whipped around and gave him a piece of my black & gold mind!! He looked down at me and said "You don't have to get all nasty on me" LOL!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 AM

681 posts, read 2,912,791 times
You've got to have some fun with those questions. Develop a set of answers that are so far out but still potentially true that folks won't be able to tell you're pullin' their laigs.

1. The Judge said it was either Austin or another 10 years inside.

2. The Isle of Man, in the Irish Sea.

3. Its OK except the food's too bland and the dental care here sucks.

Or make up your own.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
HAHAHAHA!

I get A LOT of Drew Carey questions...funny thing is I've never watched that damn show. I saw the opening sequence once with him jumping about to the "Cleveland Rocks" song and became nauseous immediately. Sort of like the "Keep Austin Weird" and "Live Music Capital of the World" Chamber of Commerce slogans...like a nickname gone bad
Is that where it's from? I had no idea why I did that. I did watch that show for the first couple of seasons. Weird that was in the back of my brain just waiting to be used.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,264 times
1.) It's pretty.

2.) So. Calif. It's expensive and too busy and there are too many Joneses who didn't get why we didn't want to keep up.

3.) It's still pretty, even in the winter (no snow! yeah!). The people are so friendly and there are a lot less Joneses (sadly, they still exist around here though in much smaller numbers).

Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
HAHAHAHA!
I saw the opening sequence once with him jumping about to the "Cleveland Rocks" song and became nauseous immediately.
For the first couple of seasons, the theme song was "Moon over Parma". When I first went there, I ask our friends if we could go to Parma and they said no, it sucks.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 165,373 times
Question Austin not-so-good things?

[quote=twange;3181378]As a recent transplant, I've sort of been enjoying the various questions I get as soon as someone finds out I'm a newbie. Just for fun, I've compiled a short list of the top inquiries that I've heard from co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances, etc...

3.) "What do you think so far?" I'm generally very positive but I have brought up a few things that bother me about the city

I'm so curious to know—what's not to like about Austin? EVERYTHING I've heard about Austin is that it's the most wonderful place in the state (world) to live. I've only been to Dallas/Ft. Worth (which I loved), but have always wanted to explore Austin/San Antonio.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post

I don't know exactly how we got here, but when people mention Cleveland, what always pops in my mind to say is "Hello Cleveland!!!" ...

I also feel like saying that if I get lost in a building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin