Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 PM

27 posts, read 27,678 times

Advertisements

I've been in Austin for 16 years, I lived south, north(ish) (like Braker and 183), east and now live in Wooten, aka "cheap Crestview". I'm itching to get out of town a bit, I've been pretty all over the place with what I think I want, but let me try to break it down.

I have a two-year-old, and would really love if I lived in a little safe cul-de-sac with neighbors that grill and the kids run around. I don't know how to find such a thing, do you just move to a cul-de-sac and hope you make friends?

I'm not a fan of the common burb house, two story, lots of brick, etc.. Some of the newer style homes I do like, for example, the "Farmhouses" at Bridgewater. Some of the newer designs they have at Crystal Falls.

Crystal Falls actually seems ok, except there is nothing out there but burbs for days, you have to drive through rows of houses for 15 minutes to get to HEB. Bridgewater seems kind of neat, but you're so dependant on 290, that and my wife is partial to stay north, we have more friends out there.

I would also love a greenbelt or hill country view out out my back porch with a nice breeze to keep the mosquitos away, and a pool, and a pony (just kidding about the last one).

So, thanks for sticking around while I rambled, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Oh sorry, I forgot the budget! Max around be around 650, but could move up a bit if the right thing showed up.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,572,865 times
What about Good Night Ranch or Easton Park? (Although I could be off a bit as far as what you're looking for).

Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM

Thanks! but both are pretty south, most of our friends are up north

Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,322,434 times
Where do you work? Will commute be an issue?

We're in Steiner Ranch and really like it. We just so happen to be in a cul-de-sac, and our neighbors are all wonderful. We do block parties all the time, kids play together, etc. But I think we just got lucky there.

We are probably more west than north, but I can be in Cedar Park in less than 20 minutes using back roads, so pretty close.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
How about Orchard Ridge or Rancho Sienna or Water Oak?

Or are you looking for a more established neighborhood? How about Georgetown Village? There are so many subdivisions that it's hard to choose, though your preference for not what most of the builders are building out there does limit it somewhat (I share your taste in that regard, by the way). My gut says look at Orchard Ridge if it's not too far north for you - the whole subdivision seems to be being designed from the get-go for the lifestyle you're looking for.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:16 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,572,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclegg View Post
Thanks! but both are pretty south, most of our friends are up north
I feel you. I’m a “north of the river” resident as well. I just wish there were some options like that up this way, but land is just so much more expensive up here.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:02 AM

Lots of good suggestions! I have some friends that live in Rancho Sienna and it ticks a lot of boxes for me. I didn't know about Orchard Ridge, looks really interesting.

I guess I'm not sure I'm willing to never see my central friends again. I know when I drive out to Rancho Sienna we all joke about how we'll be able to see the northern lights because it's so far.

Avery Ranch is interesting, my wife has some friends there, I know it's all about families. From looking at a map it looks really hard to get in and out of. Isn't there only one road in and out of the whole place, and then you're on 620 which can be pretty backed up, right?

Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,033,797 times
maybe mueller? Also northwest hills has *tons* of kids. It is still turning over so you could end up on a cul de sac with all old people

Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,337,866 times
Still not sure about what you're looking for.... not all suburban houses are two stories though it is a popular choice. Your desire to have no mosquitoes is obviously In jest because that's just not possible especially with a green belt lot. My area of round rock is still pretty wooded with critters aplenty yet amenities like heb are less than ten minutes away. I'm a mile away from Walmart and other shopping. Housing stock is varied one and two stories, average price is in low 400s for smaller homes and homes that need remodeling, large half and one acre lots. Very quiet, peaceful streets that were designed for families (most streets are cul de sacs). Average age of resident is late 40s but that is changing as the older homeowners sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin