Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214 View Post
We are going to Dallas on our trip but something tells me it won't be a fit. Too big of a city. Nashville, Raleigh, Boise, Portland, Spokane, Cleveland are ALL on our list. We just happen to be coming to Texas for my workshop so we want to check out the area to even see if it's a fit for us.
Austin is becoming a big sprawling city no matter what you heard, and becoming ridiculously expensive. Not at the San Diego levels yet, but getting there. I moved 6 years ago from there but still get back- my dinky house in the suburbs has gone up to $300K since I left. I always thought that was "San Diego levels" and not worth it for that house.

Its a cool, fun place though, not at the level of the hype, but nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM

163 posts, read 158,816 times
Greenbelt

Old 11-15-2017, 04:42 PM

23 posts, read 28,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevooo View Post
Wow. Seemed like a pretty simple question. Lol. Well...not really knowing what you're into, here's what I like to do sometimes-

Rent a bike a cruise around downtown (Rainey St to Lamar maybe) cross the river and go down S. Congress, ride down the trails along the river or to Zilker Park. Stop on Barton Springs Rd for a drink and and a bite to eat (Shady Grove maybe). Take a stroll thru the university area (along the Drag). Maybe go for dinner or something at the Domain and walk around that area - it's close to Cedar Park. That should give you a basic idea of Austin. The suburbs are fine and are pretty much like suburbs anywhere. I remember when Austin didn't even really have suburbs. And it wasn't so long ago!
Thank you!! Yes, I keep saying no one is actually answering my questions so THANK YOU!!

Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 PM

172 posts, read 177,445 times
Zilker Park (probably closed to the public as they setup the Trail of Lights, but you'll see the tree which will be lit 11/26)
Hike & Bike Trail around Town Lake
Central Library
Capitol building
Bob Bullock Museum
University of Texas & The Drag (Guadalupe Street)
The Domain for shopping and dinner
South Congress for some shopping and lunch
Barton Springs Road for food
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Downtown & Rainey Street (nightlife)

Y'all will be just barely missing the Trail of Lights, which starts 12/9.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM

27 posts, read 21,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Student View Post
Eh, I live within 5 miles of the coast and I still get the 90 degree days.

The "San Diego weather" goes about 20 miles out from the coast.
For someone coming from San Diego, I'd be more worried about the summer weather than the winter.

We don't get the occasional 90 degree day in the summer, it's 95-105+ every single day from early June to late August. Also, it doesn't cool down much at night (it's still about 90 degrees at midnight). Even just sitting on the patio late at night can be unpleasant. It makes outdoor activities completely impossible unless you like the heat.

In comparison, winter isn't that bad. There are occasional frosts and freezes, but it's rare to have a day stay below freezing, and there are many 60's-70's days in the winter. Even in the middle of winter, most cold days are just 40's-50's.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 PM

23 posts, read 28,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2000 View Post
For someone coming from San Diego, I'd be more worried about the summer weather than the winter.

We don't get the occasional 90 degree day in the summer, it's 95-105+ every single day from early June to late August. Also, it doesn't cool down much at night (it's still about 90 degrees at midnight). Even just sitting on the patio late at night can be unpleasant. It makes outdoor activities completely impossible unless you like the heat.

In comparison, winter isn't that bad. There are occasional frosts and freezes, but it's rare to have a day stay below freezing, and there are many 60's-70's days in the winter. Even in the middle of winter, most cold days are just 40's-50's.
Thanks, I am not too worried about the weather and I live inland San Diego where this summer it was 90+ for several months. We don't have the humidity though so that would take come getting used to, however we had a LOT more humidity this summer and last than ever before. Tropical storms traveling up from Mexico.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:36 PM

343 posts, read 306,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214 View Post
Thanks, I am not too worried about the weather and I live inland San Diego where this summer it was 90+ for several months. We don't have the humidity though so that would take come getting used to, however we had a LOT more humidity this summer and last than ever before. Tropical storms traveling up from Mexico.
Op, have you considered San Antonio? Your money would probably go further there and you could go to Austin basically every weekend if you wanted to.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,969 times
I would totally skip the Domain shopping area unless you want to travel here to visit Nordstrom and BabyGap?

While we are there all the time, I'd never recommend the Domain to out of towers, especially if time is tight.

I suggest you visit Mt Bonnell for killer views, google it....and since you're into fitness, ya'll should have a race up the steps.

Book a "Duck Tour" - you will see the city from land and water. Book in advance, they fill up. If you like Tory Burch stuff they swing by her house. Then go have lunch or dinner at the Hula Hut or maybe the Driskill or Terry Black's BBQ since you'll be dropped off back downtown. Check out Home Slice for Pizza and walk around South Congress Street before or afterwards.

Let us know how the trip goes!

Old 11-19-2017, 01:27 PM

74 posts, read 91,341 times
Well, do you belong to any particular minority or religious group?
If you do, you might want to see if there is a community waiting for you here in Austin.
Also, do you have a favorite cuisine? Perhaps go to yelp and see if there's anything similar here.
Do you have any relatives near by or within driving distance? It's hard to start somewhere brand new without enough support.

A few years ago, I was talking to a career counselor and she asked me what my ideal place to live would be. The things I told her were simple, but out of my reach at the time. I said, ideally I'd live in a place with four seasons, near at least two family members, where I'd be able to find a decent job. I told her I wanted to live in a reasonably sized city with advanced medical facilities, but live in the suburbs, and that this place needed to have a decent Asian population and of course Asian restaurants.

When I think about that old list, the only thing that Austin doesn't have for me is four seasons. You'd think that it wouldn't matter, but it mattered a lot to me. The first summer here was very hard. I spent a lot of time indoors in a funk the way some people are in cold climates. It's gotten better here, but it will never be ideal. Still, it checks off all the other requirements, so I'm trying to enjoy the heat more. I'm really excited about next summer! My kids will be older and I'll be healthier, and my parents will be here visiting!

Lastly, to return to your original question, go check out a free museum day! Here's a link to Free Fun in austin; you can also check out their fb page.
https://freefuninaustin.com/visit-au...ries-for-free/
No matter what, go to some part of Zilker Park or the Zilker Botanical Gardens too.
I think that Austin has a lot to offer, but you really have to make a priority list of what matters most to you in the short and long run.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:46 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,798 times
Agreed, your money goes further in San Antonio, and we love the city also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin