Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 05:15 PM

4,495 posts, read 4,575,128 times

Advertisements

...Anybody know what they're building at that location?

Up until maybe 4 or 5 months ago, it was the long time location of a Chevron/Pinky's covenience store and gas station. All of a sudden, they closed down and put chains around the gas pumps and the doors. The way it was chained up, I thought maybe the city shut them down for non payment of taxes, or something. I kept thinking and hoping they'd get it worked out and would re open. They had the best convenience store coffee of all the convenience stores along Wm Cannon from 35 to 290 in Oak Hill. In the past week or 2, the building was tore down. Today, I drove by and it looks like the construction is going back at least a half a block on Northbound Manchaca beyond where Conrad's Carpet, is, or was.

I never heard what they are building. I hope it's not another apartment or condo or townhome complex like the one that's nearly directly across the street on the southbound side of Manchaca. That intersection is already congested enough as it is. I don't know how the city could possibly approve building new condos or townhomes complexes or whatever at that intersection. It will be nearly impossible to turn left onto Manchaca from the exit of the complexes, so close to the light at Wm Cannon. It makes no sense. Plus there's a fire station just to the north on Manchaca and the firetrucks and ambulances use that intersection quite frequently, nearly everyday. And sometimes there's 3 and 4 at a time. And sometimes emergency vehicles will approach that intersection from all directions. Manchaca is really not all that wide of a street north of Wm Cannon. Imagine those EMS vehicles and fire trucks trying to get thru that intersection with all of that excessive traffic, even more than there is now.

Not only that, but I don't know why anybody would want to live so close to that intersection. If you open the windows I bet you could probably hear the noise of the traffic so loud you would have to turn up the volume of your tv in order to hear it. If density is important to a renter or home owner, they would certainly have plenty of it living so near to that intersection.

I'd much rather see a good restaraunt or a little strip center at that intersection than an apartment complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 PM

80 posts, read 100,317 times
Probably a Starbucks. That parcel is zoned commercial, not sure why condos would suddenly appear.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:53 PM

172 posts, read 176,952 times
CVS Pharmacy

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=283131

Also found the permit to demolish Carpets by Conrad. That much area is probably too big for a CVS and parking. Might be CVS + other retail property.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:04 PM

Found the site plan: https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5407313

Check out file ~014

It's definitely just a CVS with parking and a drive-thru.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:08 PM

80 posts, read 100,317 times
Ughh.... hasn't this area arrived yet?

Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,503,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post

Check out file ~014

Excellent...Look for a Walgreens next, probably right across the street.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:11 AM

32 posts, read 62,348 times
There is already a CVS on the SE corner in the back of the plaza. So they are closing that one down to expand?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2pgh View Post
There is already a CVS on the SE corner in the back of the plaza. So they are closing that one down to expand?
I think it's pretty obvious they will be moving into the new space. Not sure what will take the place of the old CVS.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM

4,495 posts, read 4,575,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post

Check out file ~014

Thanks for that info, Longhorn Al.

I reckon the CVS across Wm Cannon will close up, then. I been going to that CVS back when it was an Eckerd's, in the mid 80's. It's surely one of the oldest CVS's still in operation in Austin, if not the oldest.

I would like to see a Tacodeli go in where the old CVS is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: