Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 AM

408 posts, read 696,030 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

My name is Shay and myself and my friend Ryan are thinking of moving to Austin. My friend Ryan is African American and also gay, and I am mixed, but I look like I am just black. We are students and interested in moving to the south where things are a lot warmer than here in Dayton, OH. I have been hearing and reading some things about Austin: that it is not as diverse and cultural as the natives claim, that there are some subtle but outspoken racism as well, and that it might not be the safest place for all minorities. This worries me considering that I was really looking forward to moving and going to school and pretty much starting over in Austin. I would love to know anything that anyone could tell me about the cultural and minority climate there, anything would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,761 times
My response is that of a straight white guy so maybe not the best, and I don't live there.
That said, i've been there a couple times and people seemed very laid back to me. Everyone was very friendly, and I saw many different types of people and no one seemed discriminated against.

Though I'm sure discrimination can and does happen anywhere against all different types of people, but I would think Austin is pretty safe.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
I think people can find discrimination anywhere - that being said, I agree that Austin is generally known for it's laid back, live and let live lifestyle. I would never consider it "unsafe" for minorities, nor can I imagine subtle racism occuring so much that it would be a deterent from moving here.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,169 times
I could not imagine that being a problem here. Most people here are very tolerent if not embracing!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:06 PM

This is really great to hear! I had heard some things after telling friends and family where we were intending to move and didn't get the best responses...so this is good!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:14 PM

Also is there a promising gay community? My roommate is gay and he is concerned that there might not be a variety or gay hotspots/clubs/bars ect...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Maybe the responses were because you mentioned Texas - Austin is very different from most of the rest of Texas. I've been in parts of East Texas that make Mississippi look progressive. C'mon down, I think you'll like it fine here. The only complaint I've heard from some of my AA friends is that there isn't a predominant AA community here. In a way, that's good if you like to stay mainstream, but if you want specific cultural activities tailored for African Amercans, you may not find that. On the other hand, they do have gay/lesbian activites- funny huh?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Yeah, well we are not looking for anything specified to the African american community(my roommate and I are really liberal and open, we don't really belong to any commuity, we mingle with everyone!) just to go to school and be happier than we are now in Ohio. Just wanted to test the waters and see what the response was.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
I know of at least one popular gay bar - Oilcan Harry's. I'm sure there are others.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,428 times
I am from Miami and visting Houston possibly moving there, and not only is Austin claustrophobically land-locked, I wouldnt think its a favorable place for minorities...thats just me....but if someone wants to prove to me that Austin is not some homophobic racist city...I'D love to hear, so that way if I do decide to move to Houston, I can also visit Austin from time to time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin