Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 01:55 PM

882 posts, read 688,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I lived in San Rafael CA for 23 years, moved to Austin for 5. Moved back two years ago. I moved for personal reasons, and I don't hate Austin. But every day I am SO grateful for the California weather. I am SO happy to be back here. In addition to the weather in Austin, which was very difficult for me, as I love to garden, there were some social issues that bothered me. Although there are lots of good features in Austin, and it does depend on your age and your expectations of what you consider a good life, I am much happier back in CA. It is home to me. I'm not discouraging anyone from moving there, but just be aware that it is a different culture, and the weather can be a huge negative. I just got back from a Christmas visit to Austin. I enjoyed it, but I always return to CA knowing that I made the right choice.

Just a comment, also, that while there are some walkable areas in Austin, these are also the very expensive areas. If you want that, it will be just as difficult as CA to get a reasonable COL. So if you want to have the lower COL that seems to draw people to Austin, you most likely will have to be a commuting person. In my limited experience, Austin has been making transportation improvements, but they haven't kept up with the population growth. It takes many years to build an additional freeway.
There are expensive areas in pretty much any city. It would be quite a cherry pick (as yours was) to imply no difference in the COL from the Austin area to the Bay Area. Many people are commuting in the Bay Area and can't get remotely close in price to the Austin suburbs. Your average rent in San Rafael is double the suburbs of Austin and you still have a commute if you need to go to the city. I've had friends in San Rafael and Tiburon and it would take them a minimum of 45-50 minutes during rush hour (but often over an hour).

Last edited by Independentthinking; 01-01-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 02:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Jan 1, it's 29 in Austin right now (for a high). It's 69 in LA. Everything east of the Rockies is locked in a deep freeze while everyone west except the Pacific Northwest is basking in glorious warm sunshine.

That should tell you all you need to know about which climate is better.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:52 PM

882 posts, read 688,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Jan 1, it's 29 in Austin right now (for a high). It's 69 in LA. Everything east of the Rockies is locked in a deep freeze while everyone west except the Pacific Northwest is basking in glorious warm sunshine.

My daughter used to feel the same way when she visited Hawaii. Then she moved there and found the only time she could enjoy that sunshine was when she was passed out on the beach on her only day off after working her 60 hour week to survive there. She never really enjoyed herself always having so many financial worries. But the weather was nice.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:21 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
There are expensive areas in pretty much any city. It would be quite a cherry pick (as yours was) to imply no difference in the COL from the Austin area to the Bay Area. Many people are commuting in the Bay Area and can't get remotely close in price to the Austin suburbs. Your average rent in San Rafael is double the suburbs of Austin and you still have a commute if you need to go to the city. I've had friends in San Rafael and Tiburon and it would take them a minimum of 45-50 minutes during rush hour (but often over an hour).
I didn't mean to imply that costs in Austin are the same as in CA. Obviously, that is not true. I was just trying to say that if the OP wants walkability (I'm not sure he/she does) that it will cost enough that his COL won't go down much from CA. You are absolutely right that the suburbs in the Bay Area are more expensive than the suburbs in Austin.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:31 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,449,996 times
Quote:

As much as you are obsessed with weather, comparing temperature measurement on a single day from two places to draw inferences on general climate (a long-term average of atmospheric/environmental conditions) or weather (short-term atmospheric/environmental conditions) defies common sense and several other senses.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,299,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Where on earth would you get that idea?

Everyone from Texas knows that in EVERY SINGLE Texas City a Car is mandatory & that NO Texas City would be considered Walkable? Are you a newbie to Texas, Texyn ??
No, just remarking on what people go on and on about when describing Austin.

Quote:

Miami isn't freezing.

Last edited by Texyn; 01-01-2018 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 10:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Where are these people? Usually it’s the opposite - much gnashing of teeth over traffic and a lack of parking, etc.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:24 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

Miami isn't freezing.
Miami will be getting into the low 40's the next three mornings. LA won't get below 50. LA high in the lower 70's, Miami high in the lower 60's. Give it up...

There's a reason they developed Hollywood where it is. They needed dry, sunny, and warm conditions much of the year to film movies...

Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Thanks, guys. Btw, I'm a gal not a bro.

I should have mentioned that I am not in SF. I am north of SF where compensation already lags. The Accounting positions I'm seeing posted in Austin as far as pay mirror where I live now. Combine that with the lower COL and it will be an improvement for me.

I don't know, I was talking to a leasing agent in Austin today, and she said that it gets in the 100's maybe 2 week out of the year. That is what I am experiencing now every summer where I live. I can live with that. As far as the cold, does it really go down to 6 degrees F? I can handle low 30's, which is what we get here. I've been following the temperature daily on my weather app.
Two weeks of the year? The last year I was there it was over 100 for like 100 straight days. I never minded the heat until living in Austin long enough.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Two weeks of the year? The last year I was there it was over 100 for like 100 straight days. I never minded the heat until living in Austin long enough.
It apparently averages 12 days of 100+, at least based on a random article I pulled up from during the drought. OTOH, it was the 69th day over 100 that year:

Quote:
[2011] The high recorded at Camp Mabry on Tuesday was 104. It was the 69th day of 100-degree or hotter weather this year, tying a record set in 1925.

Austin averages a dozen 100-degree days a year.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...AeKtp2Ome9tnM/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin