Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I live in Midessa and I am looking to possibly buy a lake house at Lake LBJ in a few years.Is there anywhere where i could find a house with a few acres on the lake waterfront so I could get the ag exemption?I dont think Horseshoe Bay would have the ag exemption but maybe Granite Shoals....i just dont know.I dont like the thought of paying lots of property taxes.Thanks yall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello everybody, I live in Midessa and I am looking to possibly buy a lake house at Lake LBJ in a few years.Is there anywhere where i could find a house with a few acres on the lake waterfront so I could get the ag exemption?I dont think Horseshoe Bay would have the ag exemption but maybe Granite Shoals....i just dont know.I dont like the thought of paying lots of property taxes.Thanks yall.
You just missed out. They just sold ninety plots (acres) of land on Horseshoe Bay . The land was starting at 30k per plot with no time frame to develop. They sold all of them in one day.

I was suppose to go but my appointment was at 9am the same exact day the Hurricane was hitting us . Apparently they sold out that day. I wasnt really going to risk my life in flood country to buy some land but I guess some other people did.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
A few points:
-If you own a house with waterfront on LBJ, you WILL be paying a lot of property taxes, regardless of any exemptions;
-The county really has the final say on AE, but I doubt that you are going to be allowed to claim that for waterfront, that is just too lucrative. Even if you appear to meet some requirements, the county will find reasons to deny it;
-Even if you could qualify, the minimum acreage will be at least 5, if not 10, acres and then 5 years waiting before you get the benefits of the exemption.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
A few points:
-If you own a house with waterfront on LBJ, you WILL be paying a lot of property taxes, regardless of any exemptions;
-The county really has the final say on AE, but I doubt that you are going to be allowed to claim that for waterfront, that is just too lucrative. Even if you appear to meet some requirements, the county will find reasons to deny it;
-Even if you could qualify, the minimum acreage will be at least 5, if not 10, acres and then 5 years waiting before you get the benefits of the exemption.
Okay Thanks very much Trainwreck for those very informative points.I think i could prolly afford 5 to 10 acres.However, I may buy some land closer into Austin and try to get the AE on it instead .I will just have to consult with realtor as the time gets closer.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:53 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
Okay Thanks very much Trainwreck for those very informative points.I think i could prolly afford 5 to 10 acres.However, I may buy some land closer into Austin and try to get the AE on it instead .I will just have to consult with realtor as the time gets closer.
The main goal is to buy land that is already AE so you can avoid the 5 years; however, the sellers know this and will up-price the land accordingly.

After you are in AE, then you can possibly transfer into a wildlife exemption, which tends to have less impact on the land. Not sure on the details.

Finally, for big pieces of land you can get an 'ecolab' exemption. The statesman doesn't like it, but it is available and makes an end-run around the five year waiting period.
Ecolab exemption for Texas property taxes needs examination

Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The main goal is to buy land that is already AE so you can avoid the 5 years; however, the sellers know this and will up-price the land accordingly.

After you are in AE, then you can possibly transfer into a wildlife exemption, which tends to have less impact on the land. Not sure on the details.

Finally, for big pieces of land you can get an 'ecolab' exemption. The statesman doesn't like it, but it is available and makes an end-run around the five year waiting period.
Ecolab exemption for Texas property taxes needs examination
Thanks for the tip Trainwreck....I had not heard of the Ecolab thing so i could see how it could help.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Trainwreck....I had not heard of the Ecolab thing so i could see how it could help.
I did an ecolab last year but am not renewing it this year. If you get it to work without expensive fees to lawyers let me know.

It cost about 6K for the researchers and 10K for the lawyers.

The plus side of ecolab is that it is immediately available, while ag/wildlife has to be in place for 5 years before you can get the exemption.

There was a bill this past session to get rid of ecolab

Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I did an ecolab last year but am not renewing it this year. If you get it to work without expensive fees to lawyers let me know.

It cost about 6K for the researchers and 10K for the lawyers.

The plus side of ecolab is that it is immediately available, while ag/wildlife has to be in place for 5 years before you can get the exemption.

There was a bill this past session to get rid of ecolab
okay thanks Austin....i will keep that in mind when i purchase my ranch.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:24 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
ag exemption wont save you on the house itself or the property immediately around it. Dont think you are getting an ag exemption on the whole thing.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:19 PM

283 posts, read 255,030 times
My understanding is that even if the land has an ag or wildlife exemption, if you have a house on it they will carve out at least one acre to be taxed at the normal valuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin