U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:03 AM

27 posts, read 116,104 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new home in Lake Forest and are in need of a water softener. Does anybody have a recommendation. This was not something we had to worry about before and are clueless about what we need. We talked to somebody about exchange (salt) systems but also found a company called LifeSystems that is supposed to be better for the environment because it does not dump the salt water into the sewer when it backwashes. HELP!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 PM

3,226 posts, read 13,177,728 times
Do you have a water loop already?

We just bought our softener from Sears. About $400, and it does the job fine for our family of 5. We use potassium rather than salt. I prefer it.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,632 times
Save your money. When I bought my house in RR seven years ago, the salesmen were all over the neighborhood. I resisted the "hard" sell about the "hard" water. I have yet to see a need for the water softener or the expense. Several neighbors have quit using theirs too.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 5,577,476 times
Anyone use a water deliver service? We live in Avery Ranch and the tap water tastes horible.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 PM

3,226 posts, read 13,177,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLngHrn81 View Post
Save your money. When I bought my house in RR seven years ago, the salesmen were all over the neighborhood. I resisted the "hard" sell about the "hard" water. I have yet to see a need for the water softener or the expense. Several neighbors have quit using theirs too.

Maybe it depends on where you live - but I tested ours. Myself, not the sales people... and it's hard... and you can tell it by how it feels on your skin, hair, the buildup on the shower, the difference in your clothes when you wash them etc.

As long as you have a loop - it's not necessary to buy the expensive stuff that those traveling salesmen want to sell you... just go to Sears, Home Depot and pick the middle grade one.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,314,695 times
Jenbar,
What brand was it that you got? It does sound like a reasonable price. We have a loop, but just haven't done anything yet. We also avoided the door to door guys.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 AM

76 posts, read 392,091 times
Lowes or Sears is better than Home Depot. The guy from Home Depot came out to give us an "estimate", and told us we needed a $5000 for our family of three in a approx. 1950 sq ft house. After we stopped laughing, we kicked him out.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 AM

13,796 posts, read 30,627,983 times
Most people decide to soften their water for maintenance reasons. In places with really hard water, your water heater will scale up in very short order (sometimes within a couple years), causing the heating element to burn out (in electric water heaters) or greatly lowering the efficiency (in gas heaters). In both cases, the volume of the tank and the amount of hot water available is reduced. Pipes will also eventually scale up, too.

Personally, the 'super soft' water that you get from some systems feels 'slimey' to me, but I think that just comes from growing up with some harder water .

Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM

212 posts, read 1,010,784 times
We just bought a softener after resisting since August. We are sick of the white residue all over the place from the hard water and our laundry seemed dingier here, our dark countertops were not as shiny and our dishwasher which is stainless inside was all full of chaulky residue.

After all the sharks came by trying to sell us one, I finally went with the guy most the other neighbors went with - I have his info at home but he has been doing these for over 20 years.

I was going to use a Sears one but they use a cheaper resin in them which means they break down quicker and need to be replaced more - or so I was told. The chlorine is what hurts them and they end up costing more over the life of the unit and use plastic fittings.

I ended up going with a higher end model that was pretty heavy duty - cost me $1,850 including tax and install. I usually go cheap on these sort of things but i just don't want to deal with this anymore and figured it would fix the problem.

We are in Round Rock - Behrens Ranch

Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM

27 posts, read 116,104 times
GANKS - was your guy Rick from Choice out of Pflugerville? We have only been in the house a couple weeks and definitely feel the need for the softener. We have done a lot of research and have determined that the salt exchange systems may not be for us. We also found other types of systems (besides salt exchange), but that only confused the situation. Not for nothing, but through our research we also learned that softening the water will not help the taste. For that we need a filter, probably carbon, that one guy wanted $500 for. Also, did you know that if you use a salt water exchange system you are exchanging salt for the minerals and you cannot use this water on plants or it will kill them?! Very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin