Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:27 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
https://www.mapsofaustin.com/downtown-austin-map

Eeek. That’s the problem. I think JT and I have identified quite a few of the actual neighborhoods that you’ve lumped together. There is also Georgian acres that is north of 183 and south of rundberg bordered by Burnet (I think) and 35. It’s very similar to others, low-mid income with several pockets of recent immigrants and more second-third generation Latinos and new families.

I feel like a lot of Austin residents fail to identify the diversity of many of the neighborhoods in the city by lumping them together. This is no fault of your own and by no means bad, but this thread, if done right, could be a great opportunity to explore some of the neighborhoods in the city that get overlooked or lumped together. I mean, look at all those lil areas the "Riverside" and "East Austin" area actually entail. GOvalle, south shore, actual "east" Austin, etc, All of these have amazing stories and histories that once you get into the neighborhood you find out about. The article I posted earlier about Windsor Park was very enlightening and I know many of the neighborhoods in the city have amazing histories just as my neighborhood does as well.

Link to goo maps of the whole city
I understand there are many many more neighborhoods but like the saying goes "see the forest through the trees". It would be virtually impossible and take a full day to describe every neighborhood and kind of takes the fun out of it.

One person combined Steiner, Riverplace, and Lakeway and I can tell you Lakeway is nothing like Steiner but I still enjoyed the analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
North Lamar - Smelly ethnic grocery stores

Yea. Kinda.
It's the only Muslim area and there's Chinatown. The housing stock is mainly ranches and very diverse for sure. There are Indians there as well for that person asking...

Old 02-07-2018, 06:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I understand there are many many more neighborhoods but like the saying goes "see the forest through the trees". It would be virtually impossible and take a full day to describe every neighborhood and kind of takes the fun out of it.

One person combined Steiner, Riverplace, and Lakeway and I can tell you Lakeway is nothing like Steiner but I still enjoyed the analogy.
Yep. I understand. And hopefully some people may jump in with some more expanded opinions on other "lumped together" areas. Fwiw, many of those "Rundberg" areas are very similar in the demographics and general reputation/stereotype. However, to get a full understanding of Austin you gotta dig a bit deeper. I'd love to hear about the smaller neighborhoods in the areas where others live. I don't know much about the more affluent areas in Austin as I would, say in my hometown of San Antonio.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:34 PM

436 posts, read 570,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It's the only Muslim area and there's Chinatown. .
Oh I was agreeing with you, politely. Sure as hell don't smell like HeB . But this area is the only place to get a decent kebab in town thats for sure. As for Chinatown MT market, well the wafting perfume of the seafood market in the back can take the wind out of the uninitiated....but I go there every week for supplies.

If its one thing I would miss out of this part of town its the amount of truely amazing hole in the wall eateries that most of Austin will never see. Not just the cabrito taco trucks either, we got everything from Banh Mi's to Gyros all within a couple blocks. Cheap and good, some language barriers to overcome but nothing major.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:10 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
One thing I really like here is the architectural variety of the different neighborhoods. We really have it all, from Modernist white boxes to MCM to Craftsman to Tuscany style. You don't find this in many parts of the country. My favorite areas for a variety of reasons have been Cherrywood, Agave, Windsor Park, Pemberton Heights, Travis Heights east & west, Emerald Forest, Northwest Hills, and around Hancock/Crestview has some interesting fairytale looking homes.

This list changes somewhat year to year, and can be debated forever, but for any newcomers it's a terrific start towards understanding any characterization.
The 20 Best Austin Neighborhoods - Austin Monthly - July 2017 - Austin, TX

Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
One thing I really like here is the architectural variety of the different neighborhoods. We really have it all, from Modernist white boxes to MCM to Craftsman to Tuscany style. You don't find this in many parts of the country. My favorite areas for a variety of reasons have been Cherrywood, Agave, Windsor Park, Pemberton Heights, Travis Heights east & west, Emerald Forest, Northwest Hills, and around Hancock/Crestview has some interesting fairytale looking homes.

This list changes somewhat year to year, and can be debated forever, but for any newcomers it's a terrific start towards understanding any characterization.
The 20 Best Austin Neighborhoods - Austin Monthly - July 2017 - Austin, TX
In the spirit of this thread, can you list each neighborhood and the main type of houses for those that are uninitiated?

Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Well it starts at Rundberg. Bordered by Rundberg, I35, Dessau (Cameron turns into Dessau there) and east Braker. Mobile home park south of Rundberg, low income houses and apartments to the south, progressively more expensive houses as you go each block to the north. We have a lovely duck pond (now considered an official protected park) regularly stocked with fish. Lots and lots of retirees.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does this include the Rundberg/Lamar intersection? If so, do you know what happened to the Rundberg Running Man? Are you him? LOL He was on the news a couple of times in the past years, and I've seen his Youtube videos. My son and my nephews became obsessed with him, and we always drive through there to honk and wave at him when my nephews are in town visiting. The last two times I drove by, he wasn't there. This kind of made me sad. LOL Is he still around??

Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM

436 posts, read 570,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does this include the Rundberg/Lamar intersection? If so, do you know what happened to the Rundberg Running Man? Are you him? LOL He was on the news a couple of times in the past years, and I've seen his Youtube videos. My son and my nephews became obsessed with him, and we always drive through there to honk and wave at him when my nephews are in town visiting. The last two times I drove by, he wasn't there. This kind of made me sad. LOL Is he still around??

Rundberg and Lamar is more Georgian Acres than Windsor. Strange how all these blocks around here have their own names. I drive to the HEB there at Rundberg and Lamar weekly and he's there, almost every time I drive by. Not always dancing, sometimes just talking to people.

Was always worried that the weird died with Leslie, but there are pockets of weird left here and there, but much rarer to find.

Am I who? If I danced that much I would be dead in an hour.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:08 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Rundberg and Lamar is more Georgian Acres than Windsor. Strange how all these blocks around here have their own names. I drive to the HEB there at Rundberg and Lamar weekly and he's there, almost every time I drive by. Not always dancing, sometimes just talking to people.

Was always worried that the weird died with Leslie, but there are pockets of weird left here and there, but much rarer to find.

Am I who? If I danced that much I would be dead in an hour.

"RunninJT"...."Rundberg Running Man?" ...LOL...I kid, I kid.

I've seen him dancing, singing and talking to people. I don't see him run anymore, though. He used to run down the sidewalk, disappear and reappear later. I never knew how far or where he ran to? I drove by there twice in the past couple of months, and he wasn't there either time. Any other time, he was always there, so I was a bit worried. But if you've seen him recently, then he's good.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
On the other hand, places like Steiner and Avery Ranch(among others) will have homes of some age(15 years for AR, older than that for Steiner) as well as scores of new builds and homes from the $200s to well over $700K...making it pretty tough to characterize the "neighborhood" with one stroke of the keyboard. Never mind that AR has 4000 homes and would likely be just as tough to describe as it would be to pigeonhole a small city of 10,000 residents.

Doesn't mean it's not fun to stereotype
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin