Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I would like to hear the recording: Austin bomber recorded 25-minute 'confession' to his deadly crimes, police say | Fox News

If there is anything unusual about this young man it is that nothing so far about his history would seem to explain why he started planting bombs and killing people. The only red flag so far is that he was let go from his job last August for "failing to meet expectations". Again the recording he left behind could explain some of this.
It is still a puzzle...

Bomber described making devices in 25-minute confession tape

Quote:
"We’ve told you all along they all have similarities, which they did, as far as specific components but there were also differences between them and on this recording he identifies what those differences were," explains Manley.

While the bomber talks about the destructive tools he used, he never mentions why he committed the acts or why he chose the victims he did.

"There was no indication of why these specific addresses in those that were delivered to homes or those that were placed in those communities or those that were mailed. There was no reason given why he selected those individuals," says Manley. Officials are still looking for any connections that might shed light on why he did it.

The lack of a clear motive is something everybody wants to understand, but Manley says "sometimes you can't assign a reason to unrational acts."

Many in Austin were working with the theory that the bomber was targeting people of color since the first three attacks involved two black families and a Hispanic family. Conditt's video didn't shed any light on that either.

"He does not at all mention anything about terrorism nor does he mention anything about hate. But instead, it is the outcry of a challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point," continues Manley.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Apparently he is a far right conservative. He wrote a paper on his views and the NYT got a hold of it. He believes in the death penalty (ironic?) and is against same sex marriage. He was home schooled by extremely conservative Christian parents. Not sure any of that is relevant or not.
My immediate family wouldn't qualify as "extremely" conservative, but as someone who grew up absolutely steeped in evangelical culture in Texas, I can tell you that seeking help for mental health issues outside the church is extremely stigmatized. Showing any emotion besides anger is seen as feminine. Suburbs and homeschooling are isolating by design.

I hate to resort to stereotypes, but two days ago, when I was talking to coworkers, I kept referring to the bomber as a "he". One of them said, "Well it could be a 'she'", to which I could only say "I'd put money down that it's a white dude in his 20s that can't get laid."

Scoff at this next statement all you want to, but as someone who grew up post-Columbine, my experience is that young, involuntarily celibate men are some of the most dangerous people out there. Just about every terrorist, domestic and foreign, Christian, Muslim or atheist, lone wolf or organized, fits this profile. It's the profile that gangs and extremists use to recruit people because they're so filled with pent-up frustration, and violence is often the only outlet that isn't seen as emasculating.

Last edited by Westerner92; 03-22-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Thought this had some interesting information:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/austin-bo...110349128.html

Quote:
Mark Anthony Conditt reportedly took part in a conservative outdoors club called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT), in which home-schooled young people studied the Bible and were taught gun skills.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
My immediate family wouldn't qualify as "extremely" conservative, but as someone who grew up absolutely steeped in evangelical culture in Texas, I can tell you that seeking help for mental health issues outside the church is extremely stigmatized. Showing any emotion besides anger is seen as feminine. Suburbs and homeschooling are isolating by design.

I hate to resort to stereotypes, but two days ago, when I was talking to coworkers, I kept referring to the bomber as a "he". One of them said, "Well it could be a 'she'", to which I could only say "I'd put money down that it's a white dude in his 20s that can't get laid."

Scoff at this next statement all you want to, but as someone who grew up post-Columbine, my experience is that young, involuntarily celibate men are some of the most dangerous people out there. Just about every terrorist, domestic and foreign, Christian, Muslim or atheist, lone wolf or organized, fits this profile. It's the profile that gangs and extremists use to recruit people because they're so filled with pent-up frustration, and violence is often the only outlet that isn't seen as emasculating.
Yep, the solution is to legalize prostitution. For some men that's the only way as they have game. Laid men are happy men.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Yep, the solution is to legalize prostitution. For some men that's the only way as they have game. Laid men are happy men.
I mean, I suppose that's one way to address it. Increasing access to mental healthcare and not having such a fragile code of masculinity are administrative and cultural approaches, respectively, to the issue as well.

One thing I can tell you, from someone who used to be on the inside and is now looking in, is that evangelicals, particularly the small denominations and independent congregations, are increasingly militant and hostile because they perceive losing cultural prominence as persecution.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
The mayor said the "takeaway" was that we all need to get to know our neighbors better.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, we used to have block parties all the time in the milder weather.

When I lived in KC, we used to have a "street party" twice a year.

When I lived in Louisiana, we used to have crawfish boils where everyone from the street was invited.

Maybe we need to start having block parties and other social events in each neighborhood? The way these things should run, the street is blocked off and each person brings potluck and a few guys bust out the smoker and smoke some brisket. Alcohol needs to be allowed too so more people can attend.

I've noticed this just doesn't seem to happen in Austin like in other cities I've lived in. Maybe it's about time we start doing this?

Maybe if one person could've reached out to that guy this could've been prevented?
hyde park has a huge halloween party every year, northwest hills does as well. Where we lived in great hills had many blocked off cul de sac parties.

It has nothing to do with austin, it has to do with the particular street.

Wherever we live we are outside and we create the crowd.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I mean, I suppose that's one way to address it. Increasing access to mental healthcare and not having such a fragile code of masculinity are administrative and cultural approaches, respectively, to the issue as well.

One thing I can tell you, from someone who used to be on the inside and is now looking in, is that evangelicals, particularly the small denominations and independent congregations, are increasingly militant and hostile because they perceive losing cultural prominence as persecution.
I've been on the inside and outside (now) as well. Part of my 20's and 30's was spent wandering from religion to religion seeking "the truth" but I quickly found that the truth is not in any evangelical organization.

I think the bomber's homeschooling served to isolate him further. Maybe had he grown up in a normal school he would have been exposed to different viewpoints that may have shaped him differently. I've found exposure to different things makes you more open-minded and less judgmental of anyone.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:45 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
I saw that NY Times article after I posted but before I read this. I posted before I had to go do some errands and while waiting I read the article. Yes it explains quite a bit.

Apparently he is a far right conservative. He wrote a paper on his views and the NYT got a hold of it. He believes in the death penalty (ironic?) and is against same sex marriage. He was home schooled by extremely conservative Christian parents. Not sure any of that is relevant or not.

Great information in the NYT article about how it was pieced together.

With modern technology these cases that used to take years now take weeks to solve.
It wasn't an essay. He wrote a few blog posts for a class when he was sixteen. He also thought it was a good idea to abolish the sex offender registry. https://definingmystance.blogspot.com/?m=1

Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I was not terrorized in the least. The probability of being impacted was as close to zero as any other highly improbable event, lower than getting hit by a drunk driver.

If you changed your behavior one iota, you just fed into the fear.
Would you feel the same way if you found out at least one of the bombs he shipped via FedEx was sent to an address in your zip code?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
It wasn't an essay. He wrote a few blog posts for a class when he was sixteen. He also thought it was a good idea to abolish the sex offender registry. https://definingmystance.blogspot.com/?m=1
Your point being?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin