Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:56 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Your point being?
The point being that many things can change in a human's development during that period of life. I'm sure most people would be mortified to read some of the things they wrote or thought when they were 16. In fact, there's actually an entire event series based on that concept.

People keep trying to find a motive - often political/ideological beliefs that are contrary to theirs - for these horrifying actions, which is natural. But the truth is sometimes people are simply insane.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
. But the truth is sometimes people are simply insane.
This being the reason we need better access to mental healthcare in this country. I actually believe it's more important to have mental healthcare access than regular healthcare access, i.e. even without insurance there should be ways mentally ill people can get help so they won't go crazy and start shooting up or bombing people.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that universal healthcare should be a basic right, but I believe society has an obligation to pay for mental health. The results are disastrous if we don't. Someone with diabetes isn't going to shoot up people. Someone with schizo may...

There should be mental health walk in clinics. You can simply walk in and get treatment free of charge. No 6 month wait for a psychiatrist.

I know, I have radical ideas but if implemented these kind of mass murders would go to zero. I know it's expensive but then how much was spent on FBI/police for this bomber??? "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"

Old 03-23-2018, 10:07 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
The history is irrelevant. But I think it is more and more obvious that a comprehensive mental health care system is critical to this country.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
The point being that many things can change in a human's development during that period of life. I'm sure most people would be mortified to read some of the things they wrote or thought when they were 16. In fact, there's actually an entire event series based on that concept.

People keep trying to find a motive - often political/ideological beliefs that are contrary to theirs - for these horrifying actions, which is natural. But the truth is sometimes people are simply insane.
Unless he unisolated himself, he likely had the same beliefs. That said, I made this profile when I was 16, and I had some super cringeworthy political posts on here in my first couple years, particularly regarding revisionist history I was taught.

That said, the first two victims' families knew each other and went to the same small church, which seems quite coincidental given that they lived about 8 miles apart from each other. Law enforcement hasn't released who the third bomb was intended for (the bomber put it at a different address than what was on the package), and they haven't released a larger list of intended victims that they found. It definitely wasn't random insanity.

Last edited by Westerner92; 03-23-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 10:12 AM

603 posts, read 445,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Unless he unisolated himself, he likely had the same beliefs. That said, I made this profile when I was 16, and I had some super cringeworthy political posts on here in my first couple years, particularly regarding revisionist history I was taught.

That said, the first two victims' families knew each other and went to the same small church, which seems more than coincidental given that they lived about 8 miles apart from each other. Law enforcement hasn't released who the third bomb was intended for (the bomber put it at a different address than what was on the package), and they haven't released a larger list of intended victims that they found. It definitely wasn't random insanity, and I feel like people are giving him way too much benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Anita Ward, a nurse at Austin Med Spa, said FBI agents and Austin police told her Tuesday morning that her daughter, who also works at the spa in downtown Austin, was to be the recipient of the unexploded bomb at a FedEx sorting facility at 4117 McKinney Falls Parkway near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

Ward and her daughter are white.
https://www.statesman.com/news/local...RhFdJkbF2ScOI/

Old 03-23-2018, 04:25 PM

423 posts, read 288,900 times
All the Its about race people have been debunked. He was just your standard nutcase according to his own explanation.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:59 AM

15,528 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:

In his 28 minute phone recording, he described himself as a “psychopath” and said he feels as though he has been disturbed since childhood.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:19 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
it wouldnt surprise me if evangelical christians would be in denial that their child is a psychopath and tried to achieve healing through christ. Since he was homeschooled he probably never had contact with people that could identify that there was an issue.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 AM

423 posts, read 288,900 times
Blame it on whatever religion you want.
He was just a classic paranoid schizophrenic. It came on at the right age too. Late teens early 20s.
Well, RIP (rest in pieces)

Old 03-24-2018, 11:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
The history of mental health "asylums" in this country was as follows:

60's/early 70's: there were a large number of people in mental hospitals, primarily women. The saying was that "crazy men kill and then get the death penalty, crazy women do crazy things and go into a mental hospital". The mental hospitals go a long long way back and even Abe Lincoln used to control his wife by saying things like "I ought to get you committed."

In the mid to late 70's and continuing in the 80's they basically closed a number of institutions, many of which had performed nefarious practices on the patients (if I mentioned it here I would be censored...) so changes had to occur.

The original goal was to re-employ the psychiatrists and therapists at "family clinics" and that worked at first but budget cuts in the 80's reduced that system to shambles.

This resulted in a very high homeless population and an extremely large increase in crime. A lot of the mentally ill self medicated with drugs from the street like crack and stuff. This caused crime levels that hadn't been seen in the country since Prohibition.

When Bill Clinton was elected they told him he needed to reduce crime and he did, but unfortunately through mass incarceration.

So we had come full circle. Mentally ill patients went from being in a decrepit state hospital being tortured to being in a prison with a life sentence. Nobody can claim that was an improvement.

The thing is, since the 1980's, things have changed. Medicines have gotten a lot better and if we wanted to (as a society) treat mentally ill patients we could. The problems are that many people either (a) believe that mentally ill people can either pray their way out of it or "think positive", or (b) believe that government shouldn't have to field these costs. Both of these are conservative ways of thinking that have not helped at all.

The solution is: (a) recognize the problem, then (b) fix it. Some people haven't even gotten past (a).

Until these mentally ill people are treated, these mass bombings and mass shootings will keep occurring. Oh, and banning guns is not going to stop this problem, as you can see bombs can be homemade. This is a full fledge mental health crisis this country has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin