Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
They will know where it is shipped from, but the shipper details are almost certainly fake. Even if it had been delivered, though, they would have been able to figure out the shipment details. I am curious to know if the destination was the target or if they were possibly targeting FedEx employees themselves.
So are you saying the person may have been targeting FedEx all along? If all packages were FedEx then we'd know but they haven't released any information.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
So are you saying the person may have been targeting FedEx all along? If all packages were FedEx then we'd know but they haven't released any information.
They indicated that the earlier three packages were not sent via shippers, but rather physically left on the porches with a trigger manual switched on after setting the packages down. They implied or actually said (I am not sure now) that they boxes were not 'branded' as Amazon, FedEx, etc.

I don't think the shippers have been the target at all; however, it is possible that they are trying to vary their MO to 'scare' as many people as possible - i.e. watch out for unexpected packages! Watch out for 'expected' packages! Watch out for trip wires! The level of uncertainty goes up each time a different method is used; targeting a shipping company would further that confusion.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 AM

445 posts, read 413,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
when they said the boxes detected motion, they meant if you moved the box, not that you got near the box.
How do you know that? Motion detection can mean detecting motion nearby, such as a motion detecting camera. Not that it's easy to do inside a closed box but possible. Also, vibration on the ground nearby can trigger it, depending on the mechanism.

I wouldn't risk going near a suspicious box not knowing what kind of trigger mechanism these guy(s) have been using.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
They seem to have identified the location where the Schertz package was shipped from - Brodie Lane (Sunset Valley). Police investigate suspicious package at FedEx near Austin airport

Surely there are cameras there.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

Surely there are cameras there.
That is what we were discussing this moment - seems pretty brazen to go into a store like that. It is possible he employed someone else to take it in, though, or just dropped it off with a pre-paid ticket of some sort.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
One thing I notice, flipping through stations as I work from home, is that the breathless newscasters spew a lot of bad information, speculation and conjecture. For example, one on KXAN just referred to the FedEx location near ABIA as a "large FedEx distribution center in North Austin". Uh, it's SE Austin. Just one small example.

I get the feeling that those "informing" us don't really know that much about local geography or how to separate Facts from Guesswork.

I'm starting to think TV News is about as useless as Facebook.

Edit: The Austin Police Chief communicates very well though. I like his press briefings and how he summarizes the situation.

Steve

Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
As I pulled this thread up, the doorbell rings and it's the mailman having dropped a package at the door. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve
I'm starting to thing TV News is about as useless as Facebook.
I worked in the pre-Facebook world of print. Actual rolls of wood pulp with yesterday's news that used to be thrown on your doorstep. We had no respect for TV news even then.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 AM

103 posts, read 113,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
One thing I notice, flipping through stations as I work from home, is that the breathless newscasters spew a lot of bad information, speculation and conjecture. For example, one on KXAN just referred to the FedEx location near ABIA as a "large FedEx distribution center in North Austin". Uh, it's SE Austin. Just one small example.

I get the feeling that those "informing" us don't really know that much about local geography or how to separate Facts from Guesswork.

I'm starting to think TV News is about as useless as Facebook.
National news is even worse--so much information truncated and assumptions relayed as fact.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Edit: The Austin Police Chief communicates very well though. I like his press briefings and how he summarizes the situation.

Steve
Complete agree on this - he is a very good speaker, at least. I have not really listened to him before.

As for 'accurate' news, I still stand by the BBC for some measure of reporting integrity, even when it is about 'local' news.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Complete agree on this - he is a very good speaker, at least. I have not really listened to him before.

As for 'accurate' news, I still stand by the BBC for some measure of reporting integrity, even when it is about 'local' news.
Agreed, the British BBC is a great News organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin