Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:05 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Agreed, the British BBC is a great News organization.
I've listened to the BBC daily for more than 30 years! top notch without question

But when I wanted to learn about the Boston bombing I went to the Boston Globe, Katrina, The NO Times-Picuyne, the mudslides in San Bernadino => LA Times, Hurricane Harvey, Houston Chronicle

The best local journalists work for KUT, Texas Tribune, and the Statesman. Broadcast news ,I agree, is nearly useless.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
The newspapers now are pathetic shells of their former existence. They're glorified aggregators now. Nobody does investigative journalism anymore, because the model that paid people to do investigative journalism no longer exists.

The money is in likes, shares, social media interactions. Dry, hard-hitting truth does not perform in that format the same way sensationalist clickbait and utterly misleading headlines do.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
I'm starting to think TV News is about as useless as Facebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I worked in the pre-Facebook world of print. Actual rolls of wood pulp with yesterday's news that used to be thrown on your doorstep. We had no respect for TV news even then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmyu View Post
National news is even worse--so much information truncated and assumptions relayed as fact.
I think it is the nature of news reporting in general. There is so much pressure to be first to break a news story, often without adequate time to make sure they get the story correct. I worked for most of my professional career as project manager on many public projects that got lots of publicity in the news. It was rare for news stories to come out that did not contain factual errors about the projects.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
They seem to have identified the location where the Schertz package was shipped from - Brodie Lane (Sunset Valley). Police investigate suspicious package at FedEx near Austin airport

Surely there are cameras there.
Quote:
The Sunset Valley Police Department says the FBI is investigating "a confirmed link between packages involved in the Austin bombing investigation and a mail delivery office in Sunset Valley. It appears that the source of the suspect packages was a private package delivery office in Sunset Valley."
It appears this is a private mail delivery office at 5601 Brodie Ln Suite 1210, Austin, TX 78745. Only about 2 miles from the trip wire bomb on Dawn Song Drive. It was addressed to another address in Austin.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ar-san-antonio

Old 03-20-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think it is the nature of news reporting in general. There is so much pressure to be first to break a news story, often without adequate time to make sure they get the story correct. I worked for most of my professional career as project manager on many public projects that got lots of publicity in the news. It was rare for news stories to come out that did not contain factual errors about the projects.
To an extent, but there used to be editors who would rather be right than be first and issue a retraction later, because there was at least an outward concern for the publication's credibility. Now there is no concern and every publication and blog might as well be the Weekly World News.

There have always been journalists that have no clue about what they're writing about. Law and public opinion have been shaped by half-truths and outright fabrications in print.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
By withholding this information, everyone is scared to death of opening a package. I regularly get packages delivered and now I purposely use a metal pole to push them a bit before opening them because I don't want to become bits and pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They could give details like how far away do you have to be for it to detonate. Like don't get within 5 feet of a box or something.
If you can see it, you are too close. The scatter pattern of nails and other shrapnel propelled by explosives is too random to be easily predictable. If you find a package that is unexpected and/or in an unusual location, don't mess with it, call 911.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:24 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
The newspapers now are pathetic shells of their former existence. They're glorified aggregators now. Nobody does investigative journalism anymore, because the model that paid people to do investigative journalism no longer exists.

The money is in likes, shares, social media interactions. Dry, hard-hitting truth does not perform in that format the same way sensationalist clickbait and utterly misleading headlines do.
Quote:
Quote:
To an extent, but there used to be editors who would rather be right than be first and issue a retraction later, because there was at least an outward concern for the publication's credibility. Now there is no concern and every publication and blog might as well be the Weekly World News.

There have always been journalists that have no clue about what they're writing about. Law and public opinion have been shaped by half-truths and outright fabrications in print.
I heard an old news guy on the radio one day quoting the stats of how many individuals used to work in news gathering vs news telling (i.e. - finding out stuff rather than talking about it) and it was, back then, vastly more journalists curating news than those talking about it.

Now it has flipped, absurdly, grotesquely, so, such that what most common people think of as "news" when they see talking heads on cable or wherever, are just dumbsh*ts talking bout what they were told or heard, and their opinion or thoughts or feelings or biases about it, not actually "reporting" anything.

InfoTainment has replaced Walter Cronkite, rest his soul. And the same people who consume that stuff think they are "informed".

Old 03-20-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I heard an old news guy on the radio one day quoting the stats of how many individuals used to work in news gathering vs news telling (i.e. - finding out stuff rather than talking about it) and it was, back then, vastly more journalists curating news than those talking about it.

Now it has flipped, absurdly, grotesquely, so, such that what most common people think of as "news" when they see talking heads on cable or wherever, are just dumbsh*ts talking bout what they were told or heard, and their opinion or thoughts or feelings or biases about it, not actually "reporting" anything.

InfoTainment has replaced Walter Cronkite, rest his soul. And the same people who consume that stuff think they are "informed".
What used to be the journalism approach is gathering information as it came in, working out what's truth and what's not, and not going to press (or the air) until you have determined what is truth. That's not to say that's what happened, but that was the goal. That was Cronkite's standard. He would have nothing to do with what passes for news presentation today.

When someone here or elsewhere comes at me commenting on my "MSM brainwashing" or "I must think everything CNN/Fox says" they don't realize that I hate everything about the very concept of the 24-hour news cycle, on a level they could not comprehend.

News is not 24 hours. There are a lot of things that happen that are not newsworthy. Some days it's a slow news day. Some days there's an explosion or a school shooting.

The cable infotainment bastardization of the journalism approach amounts to this: Let's hover around this building surrounded by emergency vehicles in a helicopter with a voiceover of two or three people in the studio in New York. People who have no more idea of what's going on than anybody on their couch at home. Let's speculate and throw in some contrived narratives and we'll run all the information as it comes in through this filter of intellectually devoid if not dishonest bull****. We may or may not get the "five W's" right in the process, and it doesn't matter because we're telling people what we want the story to be anyway.

It doesn't matter what your local TV people are doing, because their bills get paid (especially in election season) directly by campaigns who are running attack ads of questionable veracity. There is no way to have journalistic integrity in that format. Cronkite, for his part, was an advocate for free airtime for all candidates, which is great for truth and fairness but not good for business. Truth and fairness don't make money.

Social media is even worse because now we've skipped the middleman in the BS chain. I can create a meme with a misrepresented if not completely fabricated statistic and get more mileage than such hackery ever would before.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
It appears this is a private mail delivery office at 5601 Brodie Ln Suite 1210, Austin, TX 78745. Only about 2 miles from the trip wire bomb on Dawn Song Drive. It was addressed to another address in Austin.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ar-san-antonio
Yeah it would appear based on this circumstantial evidence that the perpetrator frequents if not lives in that area.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 PM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
wow.... yet ANOTHER one on brodie.. this is crazy, they need to find this person(s) ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin