Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:59 AM

240 posts, read 272,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Who is Dale Watson?
I assumed he was famous for the AT&T GigaPower commercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_ATX View Post
I assumed he was famous for the AT&T GigaPower commercials.
"Some people are afraid of change, but it is all in how you look at it..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZGEC68WCWA

Old 03-26-2018, 11:40 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
"Some people are afraid of change, but it is all in how you look at it..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZGEC68WCWA
I recognize him now - have seen him a couple of times on the local early morning TV shows.

Kind of ironic - him lamenting the changes in "his" old Austin so he's moving - while he made a commercial touting the tech industry which has "forced" the changes.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:01 PM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
I thought it was kind of ironic and funny too, but I'm not going to criticize any artist/musician for trying to make a buck. It's not always easy.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:20 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_ATX View Post
I thought it was kind of ironic and funny too, but I'm not going to criticize any artist/musician for trying to make a buck. It's not always easy.
Musicians in Austin have never had it easy, really. Very hard to make any money with so much competition willing to work for less. The draw has pretty much always been the camaraderie and collaboration, not the cash. It wasn't there in the 70s and it isn't here now. In some ways, there is probably a little more opportunity to make money, but nothing that will really sustain you as a primary job. My cousin has been a musician living in Austin for decades, but makes their money touring Europe.

I am not knocking Dale - those aren't his words, just the script and he got the money - but it is kind of funny all the same.

In the end, I don't think any 'large' city is going to be able to maintain the 'cozy' music scene that Austin has/had. The music scene contributed to the growth - Austin couldn't stay 'small' and stay a dynamic music locale at the same time. Stagnant cities don't generally support that kind of creativity. It is probably natural over time that some other location will take up the mantle. Although I miss those 'old' days, I am not going to bemoan the fact that Austin didn't stagnate, since that would have ended up in a similar place - a shrinking music scene - except in a much worse city than where Austin is now.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:51 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
In the end, I don't think any 'large' city is going to be able to maintain the 'cozy' music scene that Austin has/had. The music scene contributed to the growth - Austin couldn't stay 'small' and stay a dynamic music locale at the same time. Stagnant cities don't generally support that kind of creativity. It is probably natural over time that some other location will take up the mantle. Although I miss those 'old' days, I am not going to bemoan the fact that Austin didn't stagnate, since that would have ended up in a similar place - a shrinking music scene - except in a much worse city than where Austin is now.
So very well put. Thank you.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:00 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Quote:
I think that ship has sailed. Nothing left for the old Austin crew to do but rent/sell your property and find someplace comfy to settle. That is what my family is doing with our property.
Yep, that's the answer for many of us who lived in Austin for decades, had middle class incomes, ie teachers, state workers, etc. and could no longer afford the prop taxes. You know it's time to leave when a house on every other block comes tumbling down to be replaced by a 4000 sf house. And apparently time to sell your own little shack. There are plenty of hidden gem towns and cities across the US that aren't marketed on "best of" lists ad nauseam.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:26 PM

716 posts, read 539,734 times
My daughter left Nashville last year for the same basic reason- property became real valuable- rent doubled in two years, traffic etc- she left for New Mexico - but thats the price we all pay for Freedom - Freedom to live where we want, free to start a business, free to pray or not - growth is inventible and some places grow others shrink - you can see it all over America -

if your corner of paradise is not to your liking expertise your right to move- 12 days of hell left for me in Calif where i was born, raised and raised my family and we have chosen to leave- and thank god we live in America where we all can make that choice

Old 03-26-2018, 08:39 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It's already been bought...
It just was reported being on the market feb 22. Do you have a link? I cant find any news about a sale.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:04 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
I bought a large acreage in town with great views. A neighbor had been landscaping a small portion of it for a long time with permission of the former owner. The city was upset about the landscaping since it is a drainage/conservation easement. I asked him to stop and he wouldnt so I put up a fence to keep him out. the fence is "wrought iron" and built to match his fence.

He is really upset because in his words my fence is ugly (almost exactly the same as his fence) and blocks the great view which the entire neighborhood used to enjoy. I suggested that he take down his fence and let people enjoy the view from his yard if it was so important to him. Of course that wasn't an option.

People dont like change, old people really dont like change. I hope to never become one of those old people. I loved austin when I moved here and I love it now. I love most of the changes to the city and bemoan some of the growing pains.

THL (and NIMBYS) never will see the irony that they were the many that created massive change when they first moved here and are now complaining about the change from their snapshots. This story is repeated infinitely backwards through history. Some people are forever looking backwards at what they have lost, while the truly happy appreciate what they have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin