Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 PM

15,262 posts, read 35,588,664 times

Advertisements

No one changes a neighborhood - that is a false analysis. They change their own property. You do not like how their house looks. You need to go buy into an HOA, then, which is basically a group of people agreeing not to change their property without their neighbors approval. You are arguing with just as much entitlement, if not more, than the people you are complaining about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:06 PM

3,435 posts, read 4,443,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
No one changes a neighborhood - that is a false analysis. They change their own property. You do not like how their house looks. You need to go buy into an HOA, then, which is basically a group of people agreeing not to change their property without their neighbors approval. You are arguing with just as much entitlement, if not more, than the people you are complaining about.
The "basically" description is pretty far off the mark. Try finding a subdivision where the HOA was actually imposed by the people living there as opposed to a developer long before a single house was built. HOAs are designed to shift control away from homeowners while shifting liability onto them. About the only thing accurate about the statement above is that individual homeowners are disenfranchised with respect to their own property.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 PM

550 posts, read 496,795 times
Pretty sure the OP's head has exploded by now.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:49 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,575,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yeah, pretty sure you fall into the category of people who want neighborhoods to change to suit their own pocketbook or personal preferences regardless of what the neighborhood itself wants. And development entirely out of tune with the existing neighborhood, even if it's one house, changes the neighborhood dramatically. (And indicates an architect in name only. Any architect worth the name knows that the first thing you consider when designing a home is where it is going to be located and the surroundings.)

It also does a disservice both to the individual house AND the neighborhood. A house or building in a style or size unsuited to the existing neighborhood can look atrociously ugly when, in a different neighborhood where it fits in, it might look beautiful.

Change happens. However, change is not change is not change. There is considered change, and then there is change in worship of Almighty Change. The former takes into account consequences and what already exists and what will be lost and what will be gained. The latter just wants what it wants when it wants it and how it wants it and considers itself to be entitled to that, and declares itself to be inevitable.
Since when can one person change a whole neighborhood?

Old 03-22-2018, 05:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,790,687 times
Very few homes in my neighborhood actually go on the market. They are purchased through back channels I guess you could say, torn down, replaced with something that doesn't fit, and then put on the market. We've lost some architecturally significant homes that way. I can't help but think that if the eventual occupant purchaser had seen the original, they would have chosen it in a heartbeat over what was built on the property, then made a few changes/updates. That is exactly what's happened with homes that have ever had a for sale sign out front.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Very few homes in my neighborhood actually go on the market. They are purchased through back channels I guess you could say, torn down, replaced with something that doesn't fit, and then put on the market. We've lost some architecturally significant homes that way. I can't help but think that if the eventual occupant purchaser had seen the original, they would have chosen it in a heartbeat over what was built on the property, then made a few changes/updates.
Highly unlikely, and those remodels - in all honesty - are ridiculously cumbersome. Most of those post-war houses simply weren’t built to last.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Highly unlikely, and those remodels - in all honesty - are ridiculously cumbersome. Most of those post-war houses simply weren’t built to last.
Maybe some, but you're wrong in these cases.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe some, but you're wrong in these cases.
And unfortunately those simply just are crazy hard to adequately update to apeal to the same buyer that will snap up that ultra-modern quasi-industrial new build that is 10x more efficient, spacious and flexible.

I’ve done a lot of research on buying one of those crafstman-ish homes doennin that area and looking into remodeling. In every case it’s come out cheaper to scrape and start over.

If they didn’t sell - they wouldn’t be built. I’m sorry you don’t like the look of them.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
And unfortunately those simply just are crazy hard to adequately update to apeal to the same buyer that will snap up that ultra-modern quasi-industrial new build that is 10x more efficient, spacious and flexible.

I’ve done a lot of research on buying one of those crafstman-ish homes doennin that area and looking into remodeling. In every case it’s come out cheaper to scrape and start over.

If they didn’t sell - they wouldn’t be built. I’m sorry you don’t like the look of them.
True, someone will fall for the McModerns, but that style will be laughable in a couple of decades. It's just poorly done. I've restored two homes I've lived in over the past 3 decades (no remodel), and it was affordable, even recently. It's worthwhile, IMO.

Last edited by capcat; 03-22-2018 at 05:38 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
True, someone will fall for the McModerns, but that style will be laughable in a couple of decades. It's just poorly done. I've restored two homes I've lived in over the past 3 decades (no remodel), and it was affordable, even recently. It's worthwhile, IMO.
I could just never get the floor plans to work for me. I hate closed off kitchens and how choppy the layouts are in most of those. Most of the scrape and rebuilds are usually pretty far gone when it comes to remodeling too. Seems that foundation damage was prevalent in many.

Some of those moderns are kinda fugly - but I’ve seen a few that are very well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin