Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times

Advertisements

Dang, I have been out of the dating world for about 10 yrs...what is "ghosting" and "tagging"?

I gave up the dating scene, because finding someone who wasn't shallow, and more down to earth became an impossible task. Unless you own a BMW and dress in a suit and tie every day, forget it. Dumping hundreds of dollars on a date, just to get ignored and blown off for someone with more money and a nicer car, gets old quick. Yes, I know guys are total jerks too...I've seen them do it.
I know there's someone out there for me, but unless it's a random meeting and we click, I'm not going to waste my time, effort, money and emotions on the dating scene....have plenty of other things that keep me busy and I enjoy doing.
Best of luck to everyone.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Dang, I have been out of the dating world for about 10 yrs...what is "ghosting" and "tagging"?

I gave up the dating scene, because finding someone who wasn't shallow, and more down to earth became an impossible task. Unless you own a BMW and dress in a suit and tie every day, forget it. Dumping hundreds of dollars on a date, just to get ignored and blown off for someone with more money and a nicer car, gets old quick. Yes, I know guys are total jerks too...I've seen them do it.
I know there's someone out there for me, but unless it's a random meeting and we click, I'm not going to waste my time, effort, money and emotions on the dating scene....have plenty of other things that keep me busy and I enjoy doing.
Best of luck to everyone.
Ghosting is when you leave without a trace, kind of how a ghost might do so. For instance you stop replying to text messages and stop returning phone calls.

Tagging is when you have a photo in facebook (or other app) with another person and you indicate who the other person is. Facebook frames the face and you can simply type in the name of the person. This will add the photo to their feed so they can get a copy of it. In twitter you simply tag them by name #handle. Same for other apps.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Maybe, but maybe not?

Birth control is still one of the most society-altering inventions in the history of the world. I went to college in the 80s (long before there was 'on-line') and the appearance of HIV/AIDS had a huge impact on the casual dating world. The short-term relationship is not new to the internet age; pre-internet, it was 6th Street and Dallas Night Club, etc.
From what I've heard, the 60's and 70's (I was just a baby so I definitely wasn't hooking up lol) were when everyone could casually hook up without a care in the world. Birth control had just been invented and the summer of love and things like that occurred.

I agree that AIDS brought all of that to a standstill. It forced people to be more conservative with their approach to hook-ups.

Once AIDS didn't become a death sentence, perhaps late 90's, that's when the hookup culture resumed but this time online dating had already been established.

I do agree that for the first time ever, women have the full options (or maybe even more) than men at their disposal and it's very easy for women to play the field, which was a "man's domain" until probably circa 1998 or so. What I don't think anyone could've predicted was that women would become better at playing the field than men, at least those women that desire to.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwreck20 View Post
maybe, but maybe not?
Dallas night club
rip

Old 04-10-2018, 08:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
Did men really exhibit that behavior before though? Prior to the rise of this technology people married more and those people sustained longer relationships.
You have to consider what fraction of people are included in the stereotypes and generalizations.

Value depends on attractiveness which is a combination of a lot of different factors, but there has always been stratification. Since the dawn of man the top most attractive men and women have always had their pick of the opposite sex.

What is different now is that the illusion of choice and the illusion is different for men and women because of how they use swipe based online dating. Men all swipe right on virtually all women to improve their odds, and women are picky, and the two reinforce each other. Now all women think those top fraction guys are going after them, but they're just among the many women those men swipe right on.

That's why you see so many articles where women complain that men are badly behaved. They don't mean all men, they mean the men they choose. But they don't get that 20 other women chose that model looking guy so of course he's going to ghost or move on when he gets bored.

Women aren't more "free to play the field" like people are saying. Very few women want to do that. Most women want to be in relationships and so do men, and they all suffer

Last edited by earthisle; 04-10-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
You have to consider what fraction of people are included in the stereotypes and generalizations.

Value depends on attractiveness which is a combination of a lot of different factors, but there has always been stratification. Since the dawn of man the top most attractive men and women have always had their pick of the opposite sex.

What is different now is that the illusion of choice and the illusion is different for men and women because of how they use swipe based online dating. Men all swipe right on virtually all women to improve their odds, and women are picky, and the two reinforce each other. Now all women think those top fraction guys are going after them, but they're just among the many women those men swipe right on.

That's why you see so many articles where women complain that men are badly behaved. They don't mean all men, they mean the men they choose. But they don't get that 20 other women chose that model looking guy so of course he's going to ghost or move on when he gets bored.
Yes, I was reading an article that women can have *any* man they want, "for a night" only.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/...p_20_of_males/

I encourage all women and men to read through these reddit comments. They are very insightful.

"One of Walsh’s pet observations pertains to what she calls the “soft harem,” where high-status men (i.e., the football captain) maintain an “official” girlfriend as well as a rotating roster of neo-concubines, who service him in the barroom bathroom or wherever the beer is flowing. “There used to be more assortative mating,” she explained, “where a five would date a five. But now every woman who is a six and above wants the hottest guy on campus, and she can have him—for one night.”

Old 04-10-2018, 09:02 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

I encourage all women and men to read through these reddit comments.
Maybe those in the 'dating pool', doesn't pertain much to the (faithfully) married folks.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:03 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes, I was reading an article that women can have *any* man they want, "for a night" only.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/...p_20_of_males/

I encourage all women and men to read through these reddit comments. They are very insightful.

"One of Walsh’s pet observations pertains to what she calls the “soft harem,” where high-status men (i.e., the football captain) maintain an “official” girlfriend as well as a rotating roster of neo-concubines, who service him in the barroom bathroom or wherever the beer is flowing. “There used to be more assortative mating,” she explained, “where a five would date a five. But now every woman who is a six and above wants the hottest guy on campus, and she can have him—for one night.”
In case anyone is wondering, /r/TheRedPill is a subreddit dedicated to the idea that women are actually the oppressive gender by wielding their sexuality as a weapon, full of whiny boys who believe that sex works like an economic exchange, completely unaware of how the world operates outside of the meat market of one-night stands and online dating. If you actually take advice from this, you're guaranteed to drive women away and become embittered.

Last edited by Westerner92; 04-10-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 09:51 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
In case anyone is wondering, /r/TheRedPill is a subreddit dedicated to the idea that women are actually the oppressive gender by wielding their sexuality as a weapon, full of whiny boys who believe that sex works like an economic exchange, completely unaware of how the world operates outside of the meat market of one-night stands. If you actually take advice from this, you're guaranteed to drive women away and become embittered.
They seem to have some observations that match what I see in online dating but I don't think women are the oppressive gender. I think dating is dysfunctional because of the illusion of choice and women being picky (whether it's 80% going for 20% or 90% going for 30% or whatever). Women suffer from the current state of things as much as men if not more so.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:17 AM

785 posts, read 954,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
In case anyone is wondering, /r/TheRedPill is a subreddit dedicated to the idea that women are actually the oppressive gender by wielding their sexuality as a weapon, full of whiny boys who believe that sex works like an economic exchange, completely unaware of how the world operates outside of the meat market of one-night stands. If you actually take advice from this, you're guaranteed to drive women away and become embittered.
Eh.. I moderately agree with some of the stuff. The whole 80/20 thing doesn't really transcend ALL women, meaning there are things that are considered attractive but aren't set in stone. I know some women will like me more for certain features than others, so I may be in her '20%' or whatever. Other women I might not raise their pulse lol.

Some social biology I agree with in there though but it's not as cutthroat as it is presented, BUT I do think human sexuality itself is pretty amoral. Human history is ridden with infidelity, extra marital affairs, people getting 'bored' in relationships, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin