Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM

2,267 posts, read 7,304,648 times

Advertisements

Roaring-rox,

There is no way you can walk to Hyde Park from your chosen hotel. In fact, the only neighborhoods you can walk to from there will be the So-Co area. You really need to get a car.

Whole Foods is at the corner of N. Lamar and W. Fifth Street. Go to Maps.Google.com and put in your starting address of 300 S. Congress Ave, Austin, TX, and then click on the "From Here" button and type in 500 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX. It's about a mile and a half walk.

There is a nice neighborhood by Whole Foods called Clarksville that you may want to check out. I'm not sure if you're thinking about buying or renting or what your housing budget is. I'd be happy to help if I had more information.

I honestly do not see how you can check out the neighborhoods in Central Austin without a car, especially considering you are staying on South Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 PM

148 posts, read 602,857 times
Default thanks for response!

Thank you, AustinGuy and AustinTraveler, for your responses!

Kind of thought a car would be necessary (just was hoping to get around it).

Down the road, AustinTraveler, I could possibly afford $225,000 to the $300s, but the problem is that I cannot risk doing that now (and by the time I decided to move if I fell in love w/Austin and made the plunge, those prices will look cheap). The other option is I could decide that ownership bugs me too much and would rather rent the rest of my life...preferably a house in those areas...all these realistic things seem too complicated to me because of the speculative nature of housing these days.

AT, you are from Orlando at one time, I think? I guess Tallahassee, FL seems like a backwards place to you also. Kind of curious b/c I visited there with a friend recently who has relocated there. It was much prettier to me after looking at the cookie-cutter developments around here. But I know Tallahassee is considered 'Deliverance' country and that it is more southern and conservative. The only thing that surprised me is that there were a few very good cutting-edge/funky and fun restaurants and some attempts by cool people in the downtown to make the downtown come alive. It may be slow, but kind of think it could happen eventually. It seems like b/c of the suburban sprawl going on everywhere, any place that has a lot of natural beauty still could attract the kind of people who demand changes (Californians, etc.). If so, I should shut up and say Tallahassee is a hideous backwater and to stay away. Only bringing this up b/c you have lived in Florida and I think I know what you mean by comments have read in your posts. Plus, deeptrance mentioned he thought Nashville was too conservative and the food was horrible, to a guy who wants to leave Nashville for Austin, which helps me b/c I was thinking Nashville was maybe a possibility. So, curious of any impressions you might have on Tallahassee, if you visited in the recent past. Easier to move there and live with it as is, especially if feel it will get more hip as time goes on.

Hope this makes sense and not too rambling (probably is). And sorry to go on about Florida things, but people seem the most open and friendly on this forum, so I kind of mix up my Florida questions on here along with the Austin questions. Feel more in sync with the outlooks and thoughts of people on this forum, so hope the Florida obsession is not too bad since I'm on the Austin forum.

Well, anyway, thanks for your help, guys!

Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,883,514 times
Cultural Creative Areas--areas where Crunchy Conservatives like me, and Creative Liberals can talk without shouting at one another, who can coexist in community. Like Burlington or Brattleboro Vermont. Mt Pleasant SC, Portland Oregon(lived there and loved it except for the skinheads and rain).
HOpe Austin is better

Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 PM

2,267 posts, read 7,304,648 times
Hey again rox,

Nope, not from Orlando but actually the Panhandle of Florida. I don't know Tallahassee very well although I've been there a few times. Personally, you couldn't pay me to move back to Florida. Whenever I go back for a visit, I am reminded again of what an angry, intolerant place it is. People are nice on the surface but everyone seems to hate some group or another. Just my opinion of course.

I think it would be a great idea to rent in Austin. Property taxes are very high so renting is actually a good deal. Also, real estate downtown is extremely expensive so if you rent you can actually afford to live in Central Austin.

Anyway, feel free to ask whatever questions you want, whether about Austin or Florida.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Default will do as need arises

Hi AT,

Thanks for your feedback...food for thought your observation re: Florida. And have seen that tendency in a lot of instances (prejudices, etc.), so something to keep in mind.

Well, I may be moving in a couple of years and from various things I see going on, think I may stop worrying about getting a 'good deal' and just rent...and Austin could definitely be worth a try.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM

631 posts, read 2,443,401 times
Hi Roaring Rox - I am the person that was told how cool Austin is compared to Nashville. I grew up in TN and moved when I was 18 (17 years ago). I had been told it had changed and was full of Californians (who else?!) and New Yorkers. That much is very true, but that didn't change the climate. It made it worse. I honestly have not seen such blatant intolerance in my life. The suburbs are lifeless and all the natural beauty of my home state is going away fast. Let's just say I live 30 miles south of the city and my job is 11 miles north......at LEAST 45 minutes to get to work and over an hour on the way home. Nashville is a dirty, ugly city with no good infrastructure, high crime and hands down the worst drivers in the world. If you had asked me a month ago I would have said Orlando, but against all odds, Orlando has been beaten.

On the topic of Florida, I would also never go back. And that pains me to say. I LOVED Orlando.....I am heartsick at how hateful and mean it has become. My homes more than doubled in 2 years time so I sold while the getting was good. I couldnt ever afford to go back and have the same quality of life even if I wanted. I am not against growth at all, but I AM against reckless growth and sadly Orlando is a sprawling nightmare.

Feel free to ask me anything as well since I know both states fairly well. But I am coming to Austin in a couple of weeks and if all goes well, I am OUT OF HERE! haha.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:28 AM

Default will be interested

Hi Blueoctober,

Thanks for letting me know you were the one from Orlando...will be interested in how Austin goes for you!

It makes me sad too about Florida b/c there are a lot of things I love about it---it was the original fun, funky place to live (along with California, I guess)---I mean decades ago, even as far back as the 1920s (before any of our times!). I lived in Orlando a long time ago and do remember always feeling happy driving by Lake Eola or whatever the lake was near the art museum. There was a certain charm to Orlando back then that was unique to Orlando. The Big Mouse changed that.

Thanks for responding and I will keep you in mind to ask questions. Right now, am thinking will end up renting in Tallahassee and if don't like it, then it would be easier to move myself and my dog on out to Austin (Tallahassee is closer to Austin than Tampa). Kind of a Texas 2-step move!

Will be interested to see how Austin seems to you as everyone's impressions can cast a bit of insight (although we all vary in our first-hand experiences).

Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 AM

34 posts, read 166,798 times
Default Art Culture and Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
what part of town is best for the cultural creatives--artists, intellectuals, musicians, interracials, jewish, gay, non conformist?

any websites to look at to tell us about Austin and places to live, restaurants, attractions, schools, etc?
Hello Carolinajack,

Depending on your budget some of the best parts of town for this enviroment are close to town. Anywhere in Travis County you would be welcome. Williamson County is more conservative. The South Congress and South Lamar areas are where many musicians live. East Austin is growing very fast and that may be a very good opportunity for you to find a place that is close to where the action is and a good investment.Many of the intellectuals live off of Barton Springs and in the area around 35th and Lamar. Since you are new to town I might suggest you lease a place close in, and get your feet wet!

You need to check out the Saxon Pub, Threadgills, Trudy's and the shops and resturants near the South Congress and South Lamar area.Pick up the Austin Chronicle (free every Thursday). To get a feel of the town!

I hope that helps!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,883,514 times
Thank Ellen,

the Intellectuals live in Barton Springs, is that a neighborhood or town. I am conservative but i hang around the artsy crowd and am counter culture, since the culture is mainstream and pretty materialistic.

so Barton springs is where the academics-profs at UT; creative types like artists, writers, musicians and songwriters live and environmental minded folk??

I live downtown of a big city with starbucks and wholefoods and cafes and restuarants and coops and shops, within walking or biking distances and i can walk to my job in 5 minutes or take public and or ride my bike.

Is that area bike and dog friendly? Friendly to gays, blacks and other minorities, Interracial families, openminded to odd balls, conservatives and liberals living together, older homes, apartments and trees trees and trees and parks? working class, middle class families and individuals?

Old 01-06-2007, 10:37 AM

944 posts, read 3,944,859 times
carolinajack, hope you're not sick of my responses to you, but when you said you were familiar with Burlington and Brattleboro I had to bounce back in here!

Vermont is WAY less tolerant of dissent than is Austin. In fact, one of the things I LOVE LOVE LOVE about Austin is that you can go to a dinner party, the white guy with dreadlocks to his waist is a Republican and the guy with short hair and a tie is a leftist --- it's impossible to know who is who here and that was something I was completely surprised by when I first arrived in 1990.

Coming from California, and having lived in western MA and spent many weeks in Vermont, I can tell that both CA and VT are way more "fascist leftist" than is Austin. Your vote will be drowned out by liberals here, but your voice will be heard and you will be respected. The rage that I see in a typical San Franciscan towards anyone who is a Republican is something I have never felt in Austin. I arrived here a committed party-line leftist and became very independent as I encountered so many interesting people with a wide diversity of views, including a VERY conservative born-again Christian who opened my mind to his way of seeing the world. He helped me become more tolerant, just as he is, of all points of view.

While Austin votes very liberal, you'll find that a lot of people have unique ideas that don't fit neatly into the left-right paradigm. It seems like you would fit in PERFECTLY here.

Everywhere is dog-friendly, you asked about that. Most of central and east Austin is non-racist, whereas the westside and some of the suburbs are a bit less tolerant in my experience but don't take my word for it because I don't know what it's like to be a minority in a white area of suburban Austin. Maybe it's fine.

As for bikes, they're encouraged politically but the roads are very dangerous. We have a serious problem here with collisions between cars and bikes, I personally knew 2 people who were killed in separate accidents while riding their bikes on busy commuter roads. If you ride, do it with the recognition that drivers here aren't accustomed to dealing with lots of bicycles. And in the summer, it's so hot that I doubt you'd want to ride much but maybe you're tougher than me.

Barton Springs is the name of the city's heart-and-soul, it's a spring-fed swimming spot at least 20 times the size of an olympic pool, and it's in the middle of the city! There are hiking trails connecting it to many other parts of town along greenbelts, and you can bike those trails to avoid dealing with the narrow crowded streets. Barton Springs Road is mostly known for its restaurants and is close to the springs. Barton Hills is a neighborhood that is integrated, relatively cheap for central Austin, and is located above and south of the springs. It has a weird mix of housing and that helps to keep prices down because some of it was clearly designed to be Section 8 or just cheap and profitable for the developers. But it's all upgrading and a very good area to invest that is close to all the things people love about Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin