Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

The City of Austin Code Department is asking for public input about a proposed City ordinance that would require property owners to install insect screens on windows and exterior doors. All input received will be submitted to the Austin City Council on or before June 30, 2018, to inform the Council’s decision about the proposed ordinance. After this public input period, the Code Department will submit a recommendation to Council for an insect-screens ordinance in Austin. This recommendation will be based on the current language found in the International Property Maintenance Code: “From [date] to [date], every door, window and other outside opening required for ventilation of habitable rooms, food preparation areas, food service areas or any areas where products to be included or utilized in food for human consumption are processed, manufactured, packaged or stored shall be supplied with approved tightly fitting screens of minimum 16 mesh per inch (16 mesh per 25 mm), and every screen door used for insect control shall have a self-closing device in good working condition. Exception: Screens shall not be required where other approved means, such as air curtains or insect repellent fans, are employed.”

The above is from the Communications and Public Information Office of the meddlesome City of Austin.

Dang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 02:27 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The City of Austin Code Department is asking for public input about a proposed City ordinance that would require property owners to install insect screens on windows and exterior doors. All input received will be submitted to the Austin City Council on or before June 30, 2018, to inform the Council’s decision about the proposed ordinance. After this public input period, the Code Department will submit a recommendation to Council for an insect-screens ordinance in Austin. This recommendation will be based on the current language found in the International Property Maintenance Code: “From [date] to [date], every door, window and other outside opening required for ventilation of habitable rooms, food preparation areas, food service areas or any areas where products to be included or utilized in food for human consumption are processed, manufactured, packaged or stored shall be supplied with approved tightly fitting screens of minimum 16 mesh per inch (16 mesh per 25 mm), and every screen door used for insect control shall have a self-closing device in good working condition. Exception: Screens shall not be required where other approved means, such as air curtains or insect repellent fans, are employed.”

The above is from the Communications and Public Information Office of the meddlesome City of Austin.

Dang
Which will be a requirement on approximately 0% of Austin homeowners (as the number of houses with AC is ~100%).

It seems directed at food service restaurants.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Which will be a requirement on approximately 0% of Austin homeowners (as the number of houses with AC is ~100%).

It seems directed at food service restaurants.
Well if you ever open a window, it would be required to have a screen. I actually open windows quite a bit in the spring/fall.

This also means that everyone will have to have a self closing screen door on the front and back door. Most people already have this, but it would codify it.

The reason for this is because some food trailers have questionable hygiene practices, but homeowners would be impacted.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:40 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I can argue with the wording a bit, but the phrase "required for ventilation" eliminates the requirement for every door and window in my house - none of the openings are required for ventilation.

As stated above, AC eliminates the requirement, more or less.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I can argue with the wording a bit, but the phrase "required for ventilation" eliminates the requirement for every door and window in my house - none of the openings are required for ventilation.

As stated above, AC eliminates the requirement, more or less.
One could easily make the case that AC isn't the determining factor as to the "requirement" for ventilation by open windows. Plenty of folks eschew AC for personal/cultural/health/economic reasons.

It's pretty hard to believe an ordinance like this would throw private residences under the same 'blanket' as food service establishments.

Was there a malaria outbreak or other flying-critter-borne scourge that I missed?

Dang

Old 04-10-2018, 03:13 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
One could easily make the case that AC isn't the determining factor as to the "requirement" for ventilation by open windows. Plenty of folks eschew AC for personal/cultural/health/economic reasons.
But if I can spend most of my time in my house with all the windows and doors closed without asphyxiating or dying of heat stroke, then they are not required for ventilation. So you could easily make that case, but lose it if it went to court, imho .

I think this target and would only affect facilities (i.e. food trailers) that are uninhabitable (by, say, OSHA standards) during normal operations without the windows/doors open.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
But if I can spend most of my time in my house with all the windows and doors closed without asphyxiating or dying of heat stroke, then they are not required for ventilation. So you could easily make that case, but lose it if it went to court, imho .

I think this target and would only affect facilities (i.e. food trailers) that are uninhabitable (by, say, OSHA standards) during normal operations without the windows/doors open.
Yes the intent is to make sure flies don't end up in your breakfast tacos that you get each morning at the food trailer. I agree that the rules as written would be hard to enforce a screen for homes, but most homes already have screens on every window anyway I thought?

I kind of have a problem with this ordinance because many food trailers have windows and you order and get the food at the window. A screen is going to make it more cumbersome as they are going to have to open/close the screen for each interaction. I'm guessing that since "air curtains" are considered the same as a screen in the language that air curtains will be mandatory in food trucks. Much easier to have an air curtain than constantly open and close a screen.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
They're now explicitly calling out that it wouldn't apply if you have AC.

Public Input | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Ok then this is obviously aimed at food trucks. I've seen questionable practices at some but not most food trucks.

The biggest thing is I've seen bees hover near snow cone stands. They like that sweet syrup.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Having AC and USING AC can be entirely different!!! Will the city have patrols checking to make sure the AC is running???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin