Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, the non-Disney amusement park market isn't doing so well. The big growth is all overseas anyway. Even though I worked for Six Flags for several years as a teen, I've never taken my kids to an amusement park or even Disney. Too much $, not enough value. We do love the Schlitterbahn in NB though. Looks like the business model is at risk however due to over-expansion, and criminal negliance stemmng from chasing more time on the Travel channel and "most extreme" titles. Pity.
Part of the reason why Disney has succeeded so well is because:
(a) it is year round not just summer (but this means it has to be in a warm weather city)
(b) it is clean
(c) all rides and areas are themed

Six Flags tried to basically just make thrill rides but a lot were rusted out, there was litter almost everywhere, and a lot of unsupervised teenagers. They also over-expanded, similar to what Schlitterbahn has done.

Schlitterbahn should've just kept the 3 parks in New Braunfels, Galveston, and S. Padre. They should've never expanded to KC or Corpus Christi.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:03 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They are being charged with second degree murder charges, not only manslaughter. I think it's the right charge as they knew about issues with the waterslide going airborne.

“Experts in the field of amusement ride design and safety examined Verrückt and found physical evidence which indicated that other rafts had gone airborne and collided with the overhead hoops and netting before the fatality,” they said. “These experts noted that Verrückt’s design violated nearly all aspects of the longstanding industry safety standards published by ASTM. In fact, the design and operation of the Verrückt complied with few, if any, of the industry safety standards.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/water-...urder-charges/
That just sounds odd.
Second-degree murder: any intentional murder with malice aforethought, but is not premeditated or planned.

Involuntary manslaughter: a killing that stems from a lack of intention to cause death but involving an intentional, or negligent, act leading to death.

I don't know how you proved the murder was intentional, I don't think that will stick. I suppose there may be caveats within Kansas itself, though.

Edit: this does appear to be unique to Kansas, at least based on a quick google search.
Quote:
Unintentional but reckless second-degree murder in Kansas is an unintentional killing committed recklessly, but so recklessly that it evinces “extreme indifference to the value of human life.”

On the other hand, reckless involuntary manslaughter is an unintentional killing committed just recklessly.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:29 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Kalahari is opening a Great Wolf Lodge in Round Rock ...theres your amusement park.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...en-round-rock/

Old 04-19-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Kalahari is opening a Great Wolf Lodge in Round Rock ...theres your amusement park.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...en-round-rock/
I never saw the appeal of Great Wolf Lodge beyond the toddler years for kids.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
I never saw the appeal of Great Wolf Lodge beyond the toddler years for kids.
Winters, up to about age 13.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Winters, up to about age 13.
No way, my son would never set foot in one, it's not "cool" enough.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:11 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Kalahari's current locations are in the Poconos, Sandusky, OH, and the Wisconsin Dells. None of those places are remotely similar to Austin/Round Rock.

I guess it’s the conference center and large hotel that sold the project.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:27 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
No way, my son would never set foot in one, it's not "cool" enough.
When its been sub 40 for months and my water-addicts needed an outlet, they overlooked it.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:49 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Kalahari's current locations are in the Poconos, Sandusky, OH, and the Wisconsin Dells. None of those places are remotely similar to Austin/Round Rock.

I guess it’s the conference center and large hotel that sold the project.
Ive been to the one in Wisconsin Dells. Its pretty fun ... especially when its cold and theres nothing to do....you have a indoor water park

Old 04-20-2018, 12:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Too many major metros with big airports and amusement parks already. Plus, don't think there is a big local desire.
This, and most local amusement parks don't make all that much money, outside of California or Florida which have a larger tourist draw.

The highest attendance of any amusement park in America that isn't in California or Florida is Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, which draws from across three states and even beyond. It would not be, if Cleveland/Detroit/Indianapolis etc. all had their own, and they would all be smalltime like Kennywood in Pittsburgh, which is good enough for the locals but will never be something that draws people to Pgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin