Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Ive been to the one in Wisconsin Dells. Its pretty fun ... especially when its cold and theres nothing to do....you have a indoor water park
Sure, it makes sense in the Wisconsin Dells, but Austin? Not so much. We go kayaking all year around, and live blocks from a city pool that is also open all year. If anything, winter months are when it is easier to be active outdoors. No way would my kids set foot in an indoor water park, they didn't even like the Schlitterbahn at SPI for that reason.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
Yeah I’ll take the indoor water park over the above. Water slides, wave pools, surfing thing, and so on are all more fun to me.. plus it’s indoors and away from the brutal heat win/win. We’re excited.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:04 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Yeah I’ll take the indoor water park over the above. Water slides, wave pools, surfing thing, and so on are all more fun to me.. plus it’s indoors and away from the brutal heat win/win. We’re excited.
Agreed. My kids both under the age of 10 would love to be at that indoor water park place in December and January. July and August would work as well to escape the heat, sunburns, etc.

This looks pretty cool: https://www.greatwolf.com/grapevine/...ver-canyon-run

Old 04-20-2018, 03:49 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
First and foremost, it is NOT a Great Wolf Lodge, Kalahari is a different company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Kalahari's current locations are in the Poconos, Sandusky, OH, and the Wisconsin Dells. None of those places are remotely similar to Austin/Round Rock.

I guess it’s the conference center and large hotel that sold the project.
There is a Great Wolf Lodge up in Grapevine, so they do have a pretty reasonable comparison point.

Quote:
Sure, it makes sense in the Wisconsin Dells, but Austin? Not so much. We go kayaking all year around, and live blocks from a city pool that is also open all year. If anything, winter months are when it is easier to be active outdoors. No way would my kids set foot in an indoor water park, they didn't even like the Schlitterbahn at SPI for that reason.
Nothing wrong with that, but just because it doesn't fit your lifestyle doesn't mean it it won't fit others. Plus if the quantity of families that go to places like Great Wolf were to start going instead to local creeks, rivers and lakes, I don't think most folks who currently frequent those areas would consider that a good thing.

I would agree with some of the commenters though that places like Great Wolf are geared towards the pre/early teen set, but given the growth rate here in Austin, I would think that they have a pretty reasonable shot at success.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
The Schlitterbahn in Galveston is convertible, so in the winter it is closed and heated with warm water and in the summer opens up. I've heard that on a cold day like 20 degrees, the heating is not adequate though. They are supposed to keep the air temp at 84 and the water temp at 80 but it's very hard to do that when a blue norther comes in, mainly because the facility isn't "air tight". Mainly people have said the covered facility only works from like 50+ degrees. I imagine that WI Dells because they are used to the winter weather there, have designed it better.

You can swim year round in Barton Springs. The way it works, Barton Springs is like 70-72 degrees from September to about March and then 68 from April until August. It's because the ground is delayed, it takes a long time for the ground to heat up and by then the outside weather is cold. It takes a long time for the ground to cool off and by that time the outside air is hot.

Because of that, Barton Springs on a very cold day feels like bath water. On a very hot day it feels like ice water. I much prefer that to some indoor water park.

If I live up north, I would love an indoor water park, but only one like the one in Edmonton, where it has a skylight and it feels like you're at a tropical paradise because the sun is beating in. Great Wolf is indoors and dark.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
The Schlitterbahn in SPI has both an indoor and and an outdoor component, so you could go to the outdoor component. At Great Wolf it only has indoor components.

Also at SPI the facility is "convertible" although they keep a tinted roof. The sides open up in the summer for an open air experience.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:39 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
They also have a outdoor water park. Its indoor and outdoor. Both are open in the summer then the outdoor closes in winter.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
My part of town is getting Kalahari, which is the equivalent of a Great Wolf Lodge. That's enough for me really. I just wouldn't spend the money at an amusement park, not when there's so much other stuff to do that's cheaper.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My part of town is getting Kalahari, which is the equivalent of a Great Wolf Lodge. That's enough for me really. I just wouldn't spend the money at an amusement park, not when there's so much other stuff to do that's cheaper.
You’ll spend just as much there as any amusement park

Old 04-21-2018, 06:41 PM

I went to Hawaiin Falls once and it was "cheaper" than Schlitterbahn but then you had to add on parking costs, they didn't let you bring food in, etc...

It was actually cheaper to go to Schlitterbahn because I usually bring a large ice chest full of sandwiches, chips, soda, etc... and parking is free there.

Also the quality of the rides is so much better in Schlitterbahn...

I'm assuming it's the same with Kalahari.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin