U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,214 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there is adequate emergency medical serivces around Wimberley?
I am considering moving there and want my parents to settle there as well but since they are in their early 70's I want to make sure they have they best medical care available.
They are not sickly and a spry 70 but I want to take zero chances as they are the light of my life.
Also, is the commute from Wimberley a slow crawl to Austin or is it do-able in around an hour?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 120,811 times
Wimberly is a beautiful place to live! There are many animals and wildlife which is great to see but frustrating if you are into gardening. The commute will depend on where you are going into Austin and what traffic is like for the day. Generally speaking, it would be as good as anywhere you live in the Austin Metro area. As to 911, I am not sure. I am thinking that they operate with a volunteer fire department which handles all emergency situations. I do not know if you are familiar but in central Texas most areas are serviced by volunteers who are just as good and respond in lightning speed. You would not know that they are all volunteers accept for the fundraisers done every year. There is a small hospital in San Marcos, not far from Wimberly. In kyle, also in close proximity, the city is planing on building a hospital. There is also a large hospital in South Austin.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:01 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,583,442 times
I have a question about Wimberley as I have a relative that might be moving to the area, and is trying to encourage me to do the same. How is the flooding situation in Wimberley? I looked at some FEMA maps and there seems to be a "Flood Alley" between Austin and San Antonio. How is Wimberley affected by this?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:42 AM

389 posts, read 1,491,409 times
Default Flooding

We are in Driftwood , 9 min from wimberley center.
Most new people are moving into the hills surrounding wimberley ( if you can afford it), very scenic, and once you are up a couple hundred feet flooding is obviously no concern.
The flood plains are VERY well known and defined, just ask any local before you buy IF theres a 100 year plood plain nearby. If there isnt , you are fine, remember Wimberley is hill country, unless you buy/build in the bottom of a valley you'll have no worries. I will say though the nearly every descent storm brings water over many low water crossings, do NOT attempt to cross these, seems someone dies every time theres a sizeable storm for no reason, "turn around, dont drown" and even better, take the day off!

Back to the OP. Wimberley was "planned" as a retirement community and many do still retire there, but seems just as many young families are moving in now. Some of the older sections are quite reasonable, and there are lots of "acreage" hill country subdivisions popping up all around the town now. The closest major hospital is Seton SW in SWest Austin and a good 30 min from Wimberley center.

Wimberley I must say, isnt particularilly for of sprawl or big box stores or even newcomers for that matter, so the closest Home Depot, Wal-mart, Target etc is allways AT LEAST 20 min away, and with the price of gas this is going to hit you're budget. I personally think the town will cave to the big box before long, but it hasnt happened yet!

Finally, check out this site, (http://www.visitwimberley.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi ) its a newsgroup specific to Wimberley and will give you a real good feel for the town and its people.

Cheers,

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,583,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
We are in Driftwood , 9 min from wimberley center.
Most new people are moving into the hills surrounding wimberley ( if you can afford it), very scenic, and once you are up a couple hundred feet flooding is obviously no concern.
The flood plains are VERY well known and defined, just ask any local before you buy IF theres a 100 year plood plain nearby. If there isnt , you are fine, remember Wimberley is hill country, unless you buy/build in the bottom of a valley you'll have no worries. I will say though the nearly every descent storm brings water over many low water crossings, do NOT attempt to cross these, seems someone dies every time theres a sizeable storm for no reason, "turn around, dont drown" and even better, take the day off!

Back to the OP. Wimberley was "planned" as a retirement community and many do still retire there, but seems just as many young families are moving in now. Some of the older sections are quite reasonable, and there are lots of "acreage" hill country subdivisions popping up all around the town now. The closest major hospital is Seton SW in SWest Austin and a good 30 min from Wimberley center.

Wimberley I must say, isnt particularilly for of sprawl or big box stores or even newcomers for that matter, so the closest Home Depot, Wal-mart, Target etc is allways AT LEAST 20 min away, and with the price of gas this is going to hit you're budget. I personally think the town will cave to the big box before long, but it hasnt happened yet!

Finally, check out this site, (http://www.visitwimberley.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi ) its a newsgroup specific to Wimberley and will give you a real good feel for the town and its people.

Cheers,
Thanks Driftwood1, your answers to the questions are extremely helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin