U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 15,173 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Austin and are house hunting in North Austin. At this point, we are leaning towards building a home (3000 sq ft, 4-5 bd, no more than $450k) as we are not seeing any of the pre-existing homes having everything we are looking for. I see there is a big new community in Leander called Crystal Falls. Then I see another big new community called Mayfield Ranch (the part that is not Georgetown ISD). My fear is that they are too far up there with nothing around them (I haven't seen them yet in person, just Google Maps which I hope is outdated). Any insight on either of these? Are there other new communities I should be looking into (Leander or Round Rock ISD)? From my research, the areas like Brushy Creek, Avery Ranch, maybe even parts of Cedar Park look ideal but we would be spending the same $ for an older home or building a new home a bit north. For reference, I'll be working 2-3 days per week in the Domain. Our kids are in elementary school now and we need great schools all through High School as we don't want to move again. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:06 PM

896 posts, read 1,013,509 times
Out there compared to what? We live in Leander and i work in Austin .. it takes me no more then 25 minutes to get to work less if I use tolls.

We have the heb center 5 minutes away which has concerts, Disney on Ice, circus, cirquese
el, AHL hockey, basketball etc.

The park shopping is literally 5 minutes away (has everything from dicks sporting goods to ultra to Whole Foods)

New st David’s hospital is being developed

New Austin community college opens this summer

Railroad

North line development might bring a town center next to the train station

YMCA coming

Have heb/Randals and a bunch of food options within 10 minutes

Round rock/georgetown are both not far of a drive at all (outlet mall, ikea, new Kalahari being built)

Domain is 15 minutes away

CedAr Park is actually building a mini domain and re developing bell road which would mean even closer access to these things (bars, eating, shopping and walkable area)

Leander has ton of retail/food/housing in the pipeline values are booming (ours is 45k more then what we bought for just a few years ago).

Main event, pinballs, shooting range, ifly, Alamo drafthouse (building another in cedar park), movies, bass pro- all a short drive away.

Lakeline mall right down the road

Like Travis down the Road

So I guess question would be close to what in particular? If you work downtown from 9-5pm it might not be the best although tolls help a bit. But gettin downtown really isn’t all the hard or that far during non rush hours. We were looking to buy a piece of land to build later on in crystal falls at some point. Tons of great neighborhoods in Leander they’re popping up all over but from 1431 to 29 (cedar park/Leander), lakeline road from new hope to 2243, and behind the heb are some i prefer personally.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Guess I overread the domain Part- that’s a piece of cake drive. Using the toll road we can get to the domain in 15 minutes (183A-45E-MopacS to burnet rd). No tolls just take bell road to 183 to braker ln.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 PM

I guess my question was more around those 2 specific new communities as we are looking at brand new construction. I know that Leander is not Downtown Austin or anything, and that's fine, but I also don't want to be in a very nice community, as I'm sure Crystal Falls is, and once I leave the community, the roads are surrounded by undeveloped land all over the place. I wish Google Maps was updated and I can actually visualize what Leander looks like before being able to visit it.

How long does it take to get to the Airport usually from Leander?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:19 PM

Do you think the Leander area will just continue to grow in property values? Or is this perhaps the peak, since from an outside standpoint, I feel like Austin has been booming for so long now that it's bound to level out, no?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:33 PM

Nah there’s development all around crystal falls. If you go west it runs into travisso (a new development) and the lake. If you take 2243 west towards 1431 then there is some open land there but Areas around crystal falls are pretty developed and whatevever little open land there is will not be that way for long. Leander is exploding. We keep hearing things will level out in the metro but hasn’t happened yet. There is so much development in Leander current with many new homes/subdivisions being built and homes still don’t last long at all on the market. It’s hard to find much under 200k in the area- when we were looking at homes a few years ago there were tons of homes from 130kish to 200k. As long as the area keeps growing I don’t see values going anywhere but up.

Cedar park has also been doing a great job at bringing jobs to the area that don’t rely on Austin as much as this area once did.

Mayfield ranch is nice as well- close to all the things I listed as well with Leander and even closer to some. I can’t think of much negative with it. They are potentially going to have to run electrical poles from 2243/183 in Leander to round rock near 35 and I believe they are going to go through 1431 so keep that in mind if that’s something that may impact you.

Crystal falls has much nicer topography in comparison (hilly/more Tuscany feeling).

Old 05-16-2018, 08:35 PM

Leander to the airport just depends on the time you go. Later in the evening/early in morning about 40 minutes give or take. During rush hour or with traffic- anyone’s guess.

It’s an easy drive taking 183 almost the entire way. If there’s traffic or it’s during peak traffic hours you could always use the toll roads (45/130) to bypass that.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 PM

I keep hearing about these toll roads and that they are so much faster than non toll roads. Is it really that big of a difference? How much are these tolls that people want to avoid them?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,066,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Leander to the airport just depends on the time you go. Later in the evening/early in morning about 40 minutes give or take. During rush hour or with traffic- anyone’s guess.

It’s an easy drive taking 183 almost the entire way. If there’s traffic or it’s during peak traffic hours you could always use the toll roads (45/130) to bypass that.
Realizing that you live along 183A and have a bad watch.

From Avery Ranch Blvd and 183A to ABIA long term parking is 27 minutes at 4:30 AM. At 8:30 AM that same drive is 52 minutes. I have hundreds of drive clock data I can present you with. If you are at Nameless and 1431, if that time was doubled I would be amazed it was so low.

45/130 won’t bypass a damn thing. The bottleneck at 130/290 is a ****show.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:56 AM

Just looked again, and of course I as well Have done the drive numerous times. It’s aboit 40-45 minutes during non rush hour time. Rush hour all bets are off. I just said sometimes ma you can use the toll road to navigate around some of the congestion if your forced to go during the rush hour commutes.

I use the toll roads frequently enough because I don’t have a lot of patience to sit in traffic. And quite honestly the drivers here (probably because there’s people from everywhere ere with different driving styles who don’t know the roads) are the worst I’ve ever seen.. ride your butt when your doing the soeed limit- or there going 20 under the speed limit. No turn signals. Agreesove drivers etc. needless to say because the toll roads are so underused I could get from one side of Austin to the next super quick using them. It’ll cosr ya but if you get a tx tag it’s a bit cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin