Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 06:22 PM

11,668 posts, read 7,811,243 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I'm pretty used to this. It was everywhere in Atlanta and its much worse in California, and Washington State...

I will however admit Austin does have quite a few homeless under the highways and many of them are much further out from the city center than I expected to see. (Alot of them off U.S. 183 and a few under TX 45)

I feel bad for those people and often wonder why there's so many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
When I'm in my truck the homeless don't bother me.

However, once I was on the street and a homeless guy asked for money. I only had around 35 cents on me (I usually pay with credit cards) and so I gave it to him.

He cussed at me and said "You cheap m***** f*****. I only want the green stuff."

After that I stopped giving to the homeless. I don't think they should be arrested but I am no longer giving to them. If he was truly poor, even 35 cents would help him.
I try not to get hard hearted about it. When I give I give without condition meaning it has nothing to do with the person but more so to do with me. If he has an issue with it, his problem... I'm only trying to be of help. But for this person specifically, he probably has an addiction and needs the green stuff to feed his addiction... I personally try to realize there really are alot of innocent people out there who have really struck bad luck...and more importantly...that it could be me in their position.. I feel its not my job to tell which ones are and which ones are not honest... life will sort them out by itself... all that matters is I do my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 06:44 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,173,864 times
You could be much more effective in doing your part by donating your money to the Salvation Army or another homeless shelter.
But do whatever you like.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,784,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I try not to get hard hearted about it. When I give I give without condition meaning it has nothing to do with the person but more so to do with me. If he has an issue with it, his problem... I'm only trying to be of help. But for this person specifically, he probably has an addiction and needs the green stuff to feed his addiction... I personally try to realize there really are alot of innocent people out there who have really struck bad luck...and more importantly...that it could be me in their position.. I feel its not my job to tell which ones are and which ones are not honest... life will sort them out by itself... all that matters is I do my part.
Yes, but shouldn't he be grateful I'm giving him the 35 cents? I mean if 10 people did that he would have $3.50 and could buy a meal at McDs?

Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 PM

535 posts, read 1,285,824 times
I had an interesting experience with those orange vest people at Dessau and Parmer one time. While I was stopped at the light the lady came up to my window with hand gestures for me to roll my window down. I just shook my head no as in “I’m not interested” kind of way. Not that I’m not a giving person, but I’m not familiar with their charity” and I have my own personally chosen charitable causes I give to on a regular basis.

She got angry that I wouldn’t roll my window down for her and loudly called me a racist and asked me where my “red tattoo” was. ( I have tattoos on my arms) I don’t even know what she meant by a “red tattoo”, but I got the feeling she was being the racist one, and very aggressive, rude and certainly in no way or form church-like to boot.

I wanted to report her, but I had no idea where in the heck I’d report her or if it would even do any good, so now I just avoid those orange vested folk like the plague.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,784,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
She got angry that I wouldn’t roll my window down for her and loudly called me a racist and asked me where my “red tattoo” was. ( I have tattoos on my arms) I don’t even know what she meant by a “red tattoo”.
She meant a swastika.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 AM

11,668 posts, read 7,811,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes, but shouldn't he be grateful I'm giving him the 35 cents? I mean if 10 people did that he would have $3.50 and could buy a meal at McDs?
Oh definitely yes! Anything helps and its the thoughts and consideration that count.. and definitely not calling him or anyone who is ungrateful innocent even in these circumstances...but when you lose everything and know you have absolutely no hope in getting your life back together...its easy to see why people can become ungrateful, more less. He's more than likely extremely tired of being on the side of a highway and wants a "quick fix" and a way to quickly get out of his circumstance and just doesn't see that happening so in a sense he's trying to "force" it as he see's himself as the victim.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 AM

895 posts, read 1,231,738 times
Driving to work today in areas where I have never seen panhandlers and homeless- under 183 on lake creek underneath 45/lake creek and then underneath 183 in front of the mall. Nice!

Have you seen what 183 and Cameron looks like? I can’t believe that the city allows that. It’s one thing to be homeless and needing help, it’s another to completely destroy an area and make it a completely uninviting place. Litter everywhere, feces and **** smell in the surrounding area, dirty mattresses scrattered, broken bottles in the street. There’s a point where it becomes not only a safety issue for others/an eye sore but a serious serious issue.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 AM

895 posts, read 1,231,738 times
I’m sure if west lake hills started getting this problem that it wouldn’t be allowed to go unresolved.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:02 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Driving to work today in areas where I have never seen panhandlers and homeless- under 183 on lake creek underneath 45/lake creek and then underneath 183 in front of the mall. Nice!

Have you seen what 183 and Cameron looks like? I can’t believe that the city allows that. It’s one thing to be homeless and needing help, it’s another to completely destroy an area and make it a completely uninviting place. Litter everywhere, feces and **** smell in the surrounding area, dirty mattresses scrattered, broken bottles in the street. There’s a point where it becomes not only a safety issue for others/an eye sore but a serious serious issue.
...and your solution is....?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 13,173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...and your solution is....?
Don't know what Antny's is, but I'd suggest that the homeless arrested for their usual "trespass" violations (illegal camping, crapping in public places, littering) & sentenced to community service be hauled around town to clean up the messes left by their ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin