Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:04 PM

16 posts, read 27,944 times

Advertisements

I'll be try to be brief but include all the info you guys might need to be helpful.I've been lurking for awhile and read almost every thread so now I am asking for a little help- I am a native Texan but my husband is not and we currently live in DFW. I'm thrilled with the move to Austin for my new job, while the hubs will be in school at UT and then (fingers crossed) law school as well. We have a seven year old daughter and another on the way.. so if you are up for a challenge read below and see what advice you can offer.

1) What is your budget?
If we rent $1800- $2,000 and it must be a single family home. No apartments. If we decide to buy right away $250,000- $325,000 or so. We would like to rent in the same area we would eventually buy or if we get enough good info just buy right away.

2) How large of a house do you need? what kind of views? what size lot? how old? updated? style? HOA?
I could care less about the type of house. If this was a dream world I love houses with character and HATE brick suburbia houses. Our house (prior to moving to DFW) in Savannah GA was built in the 40's and it was perfect. We do have two dogs a chi-weenie and a pit bull mix both rescued so some HOA's might have a problem with an "aggressive breed".

3) What part of town is your job? What type of job (planning for the next job)
My job is at home with meetings all over Austin area through out the day but I can schedule them when I see fit. I'm more worried about my husbands's commute to UT and would like to keep it as convenient as possible.

4) What kind of commute is acceptable?
Again, it doesn't matter much for me but I don't want him to have to drive hours in traffic if it can be avoided.

5) What kind of schools are you looking for?
We would love to have a decent public school if all this exists together. Our daughter is gifted and well above grade level in all things and I would like her to be challenged. BUT as long as overall it's a good school, then we are fine.

6) What hobbies do you/kids have?
We like to be active, outdoors, and explore new areas. We moved to DFW after meeting in Charleston SC and then living in Savannah GA so we really miss walking around downtown, farmers markets etc.

7) What kind of entertainment are you looking for?
Outdoor activities and overall I find that the suburbs in DFW are causing me a slow painful death so any entertainment that doesn't involve a mall or a chain restaurant.

8)Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
I love neighborhoods that feel like a neighborhood not a subdivision. I'm fine with older houses (actually prefer them) and love to have unique things to do see nearby ie: a coffeeshop maybe? that's not starbucks??

9) List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Okay- short commute for Husband, decent schools, in our budget

So far from my research it looks like maybe Lakeway area? But I am super concerned about the commute. I found some decent housing options in South Austin but I'm not sure about the schools as a whole and I have friends who live in Cedar Park Town Center but the schools look like they are not great there (but I could be confused).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:10 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,709 times
Lakeway would be a nightmare commute and in terms of the built environment looks very similar to Frisco, tract housing and strip mall big box shopping, though the topography is much prettier.

The only Austin neighborhood that meets your criteria in your budget would be French Place, the neighborhood immediately east of the UT campus - your husband could walk or bike to UT. It has become more expensive but with a little luck you could find a small house in your budget. The housing stock is 90% 1930s and 40s bungalows. You can walk to many restaurants, coffee shops, bars, even a few theaters. Willowbend creek - I think that's the name - winds through the neighborhood. The streets are tree-lined and the elementary school - Maplewood, while it sometimes gets a bad rap on these boards, if full of children of younger UT profs. There is a great farmer's market at Mueller about a mile away and you would be two miles from downtown. There are also many families with young children in the neighborhood. For what you say you want, this one is a no-brainer:

French Place - zip code 78722: boundaries roughly: North of Manor, south of 38 and a 1/2, east of 35, west of Airport.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellab18 View Post

So far from my research it looks like maybe Lakeway area? But I am super concerned about the commute. I found some decent housing options in South Austin but I'm not sure about the schools as a whole and I have friends who live in Cedar Park Town Center but the schools look like they are not great there (but I could be confused).
Oh, I think you must be disoriented.
Lakeway is the opposite of short commute to UT, worse than Steiner.

Check out Millwood (Mopac/Duval area west of Mopac)
Anderson Mill is further, but strongly matches your school and budget, and offer an acceptable commute.

You won't have the option to be picky about the aesthetics of the neighborhood. The average list price of pre-1950s homes within 12 miles of UT is $640K, the median is over $400K. The charming older homes ae all in expensive close-in areas.

Aside from Millwood and Anderson Mill, you might check Pflugerville or SW Austin. SW Austin to UT would be about 12 miles, but if most of the commutes are not rush hour, it will be acceptable.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 02-12-2015, 05:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Lakeway would be a nightmare commute and in terms of the built environment looks very similar to Frisco, tract housing and strip mall big box shopping, though the topography is much prettier.

The only Austin neighborhood that meets your criteria in your budget would be French Place, the neighborhood immediately east of the UT campus - your husband could walk or bike to UT. It has become more expensive but with a little luck you could find a small house in your budget. The housing stock is 90% 1930s and 40s bungalows. You can walk to many restaurants, coffee shops, bars, even a few theaters. Willowbend creek - I think that's the name - winds through the neighborhood. The streets are tree-lined and the elementary school - Maplewood, while it sometimes gets a bad rap on these boards, if full of children of younger UT profs. There is a great farmer's market at Mueller about a mile away and you would be two miles from downtown. There are also many families with young children in the neighborhood. For what you say you want, this one is a no-brainer:

French Place - zip code 78722: boundaries roughly: North of Manor, south of 38 and a 1/2, east of 35, west of Airport.
French Place would be out of their stated home purchasing budget and only marginally in their rental budget for a SF home.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 PM

Thank you guys for the help. We don't have to have an older home, it's just what we have had before and would prefer if possible. I was hoping there were areas we could afford that were not the suburbs with some character.
I didn't know how far Lakeway was out but I had only seen some houses for sale there that had good schools and when I google mapped (I know not the most accurate but all you can do from far away) it said the hubs would have about a 30 minute commute.
I'll check out the areas listed here! Any other ideas or opinions are welcome. I truly appreciate it!

Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 PM

515 posts, read 558,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellab18 View Post
I'll be try to be brief but include all the info you guys might need to be helpful.I've been lurking for awhile and read almost every thread so now I am asking for a little help- I am a native Texan but my husband is not and we currently live in DFW. I'm thrilled with the move to Austin for my new job, while the hubs will be in school at UT and then (fingers crossed) law school as well. We have a seven year old daughter and another on the way.. so if you are up for a challenge read below and see what advice you can offer.

1) What is your budget?
If we rent $1800- $2,000 and it must be a single family home. No apartments. If we decide to buy right away $250,000- $325,000 or so. We would like to rent in the same area we would eventually buy or if we get enough good info just buy right away.

2) How large of a house do you need? what kind of views? what size lot? how old? updated? style? HOA?
I could care less about the type of house. If this was a dream world I love houses with character and HATE brick suburbia houses. Our house (prior to moving to DFW) in Savannah GA was built in the 40's and it was perfect. We do have two dogs a chi-weenie and a pit bull mix both rescued so some HOA's might have a problem with an "aggressive breed".

3) What part of town is your job? What type of job (planning for the next job)
My job is at home with meetings all over Austin area through out the day but I can schedule them when I see fit. I'm more worried about my husbands's commute to UT and would like to keep it as convenient as possible.

4) What kind of commute is acceptable?
Again, it doesn't matter much for me but I don't want him to have to drive hours in traffic if it can be avoided.

5) What kind of schools are you looking for?
We would love to have a decent public school if all this exists together. Our daughter is gifted and well above grade level in all things and I would like her to be challenged. BUT as long as overall it's a good school, then we are fine.

6) What hobbies do you/kids have?
We like to be active, outdoors, and explore new areas. We moved to DFW after meeting in Charleston SC and then living in Savannah GA so we really miss walking around downtown, farmers markets etc.

7) What kind of entertainment are you looking for?
Outdoor activities and overall I find that the suburbs in DFW are causing me a slow painful death so any entertainment that doesn't involve a mall or a chain restaurant.

8)Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
I love neighborhoods that feel like a neighborhood not a subdivision. I'm fine with older houses (actually prefer them) and love to have unique things to do see nearby ie: a coffeeshop maybe? that's not starbucks??

What suburb of DFW are you from?
The thing is, the suburbs of Dallas and Austin are a LOT alike. The city of Austin itself would probably offer you better outdoor activities, however not better schools. Northwest Austin seems to come to mind however, and the only burbs I might suggest would be Cedar Park or Buda. Both could be a hectic drive to UT, depending on when classes start.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:20 PM

207 posts, read 345,774 times
Cedar park is in the leander isd which is one of the better school districts in the area.. So that bit about cedar park schools is not accurate. While I love the cedar park and leander area I feel as though it's what you're trying to escape from.. To be honest what your looking for is extremely hard to find in austin especially in the budget. Walkable neighborhoods are dew and far between, and outside of the Colorado river, lake Travis, zilker park, music fests and things UT related there isn't really a whole lot of entertainment options rant don't involve shopping-movies here. Just my two cents. Bigger cities= more amenities, more entertainment options, more diverse cultural neighborhoods, typically more walkable, and are more likely to have hat you're looking for. Austin is a great place but it lacks in a lot of areas- really my opinion would be to live near the metro station (lakeline, leander, etc) and commute to those outdoor activities/markets/fests or if UT isn't his only
Option check out other cities not in Texas (based on your criteria).

Good luck

Old 02-12-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowback View Post
Hijole - that's a tough list!

From a rental perspective, you can likely find something that will work for you - but it's going to be tough to purchase in that same area.

What size house are you looking for? 3BR?
We don't have a specific size house that we need. We've lived in 2/1 and been perfectly happy and a large 4/3. It really doesn't matter as much to me as the neighborhood.
I realize all the items on that I listed are probably a pipe dream, but thought I would give best case scenario and lots of details to get as much info as possible.
IF we have to live in the suburbs then we will. Just hoping to cut down on my husband's time in the car.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
What suburb of DFW are you from?
The thing is, the suburbs of Dallas and Austin are a LOT alike. The city of Austin itself would probably offer you better outdoor activities, however not better schools. Northwest Austin seems to come to mind however, and the only burbs I might suggest would be Cedar Park or Buda. Both could be a hectic drive to UT, depending on when classes start.
We live in Frisco. It's my personal purgatory but the schools are great and it's affordable and both my daughter's school and my husbands are within walking distance> I know we won't find that again in all likely hood but I was hoping to get as much info as I can on our best bets.
What's the real commute time ( or guesstimate) from Cedar Park to UT during rush hour? J

Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
Cedar park is in the leander isd which is one of the better school districts in the area.. So that bit about cedar park schools is not accurate. While I love the cedar park and leander area I feel as though it's what you're trying to escape from.. To be honest what your looking for is extremely hard to find in austin especially in the budget. Walkable neighborhoods are dew and far between, and outside of the Colorado river, lake Travis, zilker park, music fests and things UT related there isn't really a whole lot of entertainment options rant don't involve shopping-movies here. Just my two cents. Bigger cities= more amenities, more entertainment options, more diverse cultural neighborhoods, typically more walkable, and are more likely to have hat you're looking for. Austin is a great place but it lacks in a lot of areas- really my opinion would be to live near the metro station (lakeline, leander, etc) and commute to those outdoor activities/markets/fests or if UT isn't his only
Option check out other cities not in Texas (based on your criteria).

Good luck
Thank you for the info! I've been looking in Cedar Park the most. I think we will have to get there and see how it is in person.
Austin is where we are headed as there is no other option since I've already been offered and accepted the promotion.
I know as a Native Texan that most activities are centered around shopping-movies but I feel like Austin actually has way more options for outside activities and character than any of the other bigger cities here. It's one of the things we are really excited about with the relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: