Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: cilantro, beans, and corn/flour options
love cilantro, love beans in chili, like flour tortillas 25 32.89%
love cilantro, love beans in chili, like corn tortillas 20 26.32%
love cilantro, hate beans in chili, like flour tortillas 8 10.53%
love cilantro, hate beans in chili, like corn tortillas 10 13.16%
hate cilantro, love beans in chili, like flour tortillas 3 3.95%
hate cilantro, love beans in chili, like corn tortillas 1 1.32%
hate cilantro, hate beans in chili, like flour tortillas 5 6.58%
hate cilantro, hate beans in chili, like corn tortillas 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Also the corn tortillas used in many San Antonio beef enchiladas are red due to added food coloring (completely safe), a reminder of dipping the tortilla in Red Chile sauce in the days of yore.
I didn't realize this, I thought it was due to the "chili sauce" being red or extra tomatoes in there.

In SA the beef sauce is red and the chicken tomatillo sauce is green (verde) and it makes a very nice contrast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:03 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
I like Wolf Brand Chili, (WBC) I know it's canned, but it still tastes good. It's the best canned chili there is, and it's not even close. Whenever I have tamales, I like to cover the tamales with a frito pie made with WB Chili and top it off with some frito corn chips and shredded cheese and diced onions. Heat it up in the oven at about 250 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. That makes a really good meal.

WBC also makes a good topping for enchiladas.

When I do eat WBC, I always take a Zantac as preventative maintenance from heartburn.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I like Wolf Brand Chili, (WBC) I know it's canned, but it still tastes good. It's the best canned chili there is, and it's not even close. Whenever I have tamales, I like to cover the tamales with a frito pie made with WB Chili and top it off with some frito corn chips and shredded cheese and diced onions. Heat it up in the oven at about 250 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. That makes a really good meal.

WBC also makes a good topping for enchiladas.

When I do eat WBC, I always take a Zantac as preventative maintenance from heartburn.
I like WBC as well.

I'm going to tell you the best recipe ever. It kinda combines poutine with a breakfast combination.

Placed french fries on a plate, cover with an cheesy omelette, then pour heated WBC over it.

There is a place in New Orleans called Camellia Grill and this is their signature breakfast plate and I love it and it's really easy to do at home too!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
I don't love Cilantro, but like it just fine - DH HATES it. When a recipe calls for it, I substitute Italian Leaf Parsley.
I like Beans in my Chili - that's how mom made it, that is how I make it. DH eats it - would prefer chili w/o if having on hot dog; but goes along with me on with beans.
I like crunchy corn tortillas home-made - DH likes store bought crunchy
both like Flour tortillas for fajita's and breakfast taco/burrito.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 AM

Some tallies:

Loves cilantro: 38
Hates cilantro: 5
Loves beans in chili: 31
Hates beans in chili: 12
Prefers flour tortillas: 22
Prefers corn tortillas: 21

Based on these numbers I can say:
Most Austinites love cilantro, if you hate cilantro you are in a small minority. My advice: Add the cilantro!
Most Austinites like beans in chili, if you hate beans in chili you are in the minority. My advice: put in those beans!
Most Austinites are equally split on flour vs. corn tortillas. My advice: get both!

I think these numbers should end the previous debates about "no beans in chili" and "cilantro is disgusting". While the people that hate such things are very vocal, they are in the minority. That's why we have polls like these!

I'll keep the poll open for a while longer to gather more data.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
I'm an older Houstonian who has ties to Austin, so I'll chime in. Cilantro: I enjoy it certain ways, like adding it to chicken soup or when I assemble a taco. I guess in pozole, too, along with the oregano, onions, and other condiments. However, growing up in the 50s and 60s, I was completely unaware of it. I still love the Tex-Mex of my youth, which I actually think doesn't exist any more. Austin had some of the best, but I don't know where to find it there any more.

Flour vs. corn tortillas: it depends. From grocery stores, neither are particularly interesting. Some restaurants in Houston make really good flour tortillas and I suspect the lard content is partly why. Strangely, I've only had really good corn tortillas in Mexico, usually from some neighborhood corner tortilleria. My big complaint about places like Torchy's is having one of their corn tortillas fall apart while trying to eat one of their (inauthenically) overstuffed tacos.

I love beans, but usually separate from "chile con carne". Frijoles borrachos or charros can be great, especially if they have a bit of cured pork added. Adding a bit of cilantro can be good, too.

So ... I have my own preferences, but I'm also perfectly cool with other people having their own. It's fun to know what other people like.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
My Darling would have zero interest in anything sweet I bring home, the same way I would have zero interest in her blue cheese dressing. Somehow the stars aligned when we both developed our dislike for cilantro...no need for a single sprig in this house! More for you all!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 02:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Some tallies:

Loves cilantro: 38
Hates cilantro: 5
Loves beans in chili: 31
Hates beans in chili: 12
Prefers flour tortillas: 22
Prefers corn tortillas: 21

Based on these numbers I can say:
Most Austinites love cilantro, if you hate cilantro you are in a small minority. My advice: Add the cilantro!
Most Austinites like beans in chili, if you hate beans in chili you are in the minority. My advice: put in those beans!
Most Austinites are equally split on flour vs. corn tortillas. My advice: get both!

I think these numbers should end the previous debates about "no beans in chili" and "cilantro is disgusting". While the people that hate such things are very vocal, they are in the minority. That's why we have polls like these!

I'll keep the poll open for a while longer to gather more data.

Now, here's something else for that - where are the most "Austinites" responding to this poll from originally and how were the responses according to that?

Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Now, here's something else for that - where are the most "Austinites" responding to this poll from originally and how were the responses according to that?
Is the A/C not working in your house today TexasHorseLady? Have a margarita, this was in good fun. You've had a really negative attitude with everything you've said today...

Old 07-24-2018, 03:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Is the A/C not working in your house today TexasHorseLady? Have a margarita, this was in good fun. You've had a really negative attitude with everything you've said today...
I think THL makes a good point. Folks who grew up with cilantro are more likely to prefer it in dishes. NOT in my case, however; as I am one of those who very distinctly taste SOAP when I eat fresh cilantro.

I don't think the "no beans in chili" folks are any more fun than the "pork ain't barbecue" crowd. There's more to life than beanless chili and brisket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin