Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:46 AM

5,859 posts, read 11,884,535 times

Advertisements

Thanks Steve - at the time I was aware that there were some legitimate reasons you could maintain homestead, which is why I called TCAD (in case anyone thinks I was out to commit deliberate fraud). I found out that I was was not eligible to keep the homestead even though at the time we considered our move temporary. They "caught up with me" based on that conversation but not because I submitted anything in writing to them, which is what was told to me by TCAD over the phone.

When we submitted the request for homestead on the Wilco home, they required copies of both of our DL's as well as a utility bill. It certainly makes sense that they would want to ensure those exemptions are only given to people who qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 05:52 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,950,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It appears that TCAD is 'auditing' at least some properties (including ours) to make sure the exemptions claimed are accurate. For us, that is strictly the HSE. I really don't have a problem with it, I guess, just curious is anyone else has gotten these requests?
It's about time. I'm so tired of seeing people rent out their properties while continuing to claim the homestead exemption (or in two cases I know of, also claiming the over 65 exemption as well.) I think we should be required to re-file on a regular basis.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 PM

15,260 posts, read 35,541,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
It's about time. I'm so tired of seeing people rent out their properties while continuing to claim the homestead exemption (or in two cases I know of, also claiming the over 65 exemption as well.) I think we should be required to re-file on a regular basis.
That would be a nuisance, especially since they want copy of DL, etc.; however, I think they should be able to 'investigate' when you should have lost the exemption (if/when you are caught) and back-charge the taxes plus penalty....

Old 08-21-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCguy512 View Post
I find it hilarious that so many Austinites would fruadulently use homestead exemption since they are so keen on getting others to pay for their beliefs via taxes.
Who is claiming to want to use the HSE fraudulently? I have seen no one in this thread propose it. If someone was claiming it after moving away, then they live elsewhere and are not part of your proposed 'beliefs', I suppose.

Anyway, all around nonsensical statement....

Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to do your reading comprehension for you. It's mentioned several times, perhaps you should go over the thread more carefully.
LOL, well, thank you for small favors, I suppose, your comprehension explanation would likely be painful. One person mentions two cases that they are aware of.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:59 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,023,306 times
Quote:
LOL, well, thank you for small favors, I suppose, your comprehension explanation would likely be painful. One person mentions two cases that they are aware of.
Ha, always nice to have Newbies join the forum and tell everybody what's what. We could all use some straightening out and reading lessons I suppose. Thank god for small favors.

I do think most instances of "over stayed" exemptions are probably people moving and it simply not occuring to them to call TCAD to provide an update. "Hey, I moved. Y'll need to charge me more taxes". Perhaps willing forgetfulness, and for sure some blatant intentional cheating. An address change with TCAS triggers an automatic removal of the exemption, as does a deed change.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:02 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,571,528 times
Quote:
That would be a nuisance, especially since they want copy of DL, etc.; however, I think they should be able to 'investigate' when you should have lost the exemption (if/when you are caught) and back-charge the taxes plus penalty....
It’s actually a misdemeanor false statement.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 AM

39 posts, read 41,952 times
Quote:
I find it hilarious that so many Austinites would fruadulently use homestead exemption since they are so keen on getting others to pay for their beliefs via taxes.
What are you talking about? My friends in Williamson County have a higher tax rate than I do.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:56 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,718,546 times
I was looking at the from:

GENERAL RESIDENCE HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION (Tax Code Section 11.13(a) and (b)). You may qualify if:
• you owned this property on Jan. 1;
• you occupied it as your principal residence on Jan. 1; and
• you and your spouse do not claim a residence homestead exemption on any other property.

I could see ways people would test this system to their own benefit, e.g. spending the night of January 1st at their house and then having a renter move in the next day with a lease ending December 31st. Overall I think we should be trying to get away from exemptions (businesses don't get that many) as there are overhead/monitoring costs and of course lots of fraud.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:33 AM

7,120 posts, read 11,791,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Overall I think we should be trying to get away from exemptions (businesses don't get that many) as there are overhead/monitoring costs and of course lots of fraud.
Um......you might want to look at what the average business pays on property tax. It's nothing for a piece of commercial property to be valued at, say, $500k - but when put on the market, they sell for millions. The businesses will fight Tax Appraisal Districts tooth and nail in the courts over valuation, and they know it - so they don't get nearly what they should on them. And understand something - I am VERY pro business, and have owned commercial property. I did the same thing, simply because the taxes often represented more than I was making on the business - and if it shut down, my employees would also be out of a job. IMO, ALL property taxes should be eliminated, and sales taxes adjusted accordingly - but that's never going to happen, because if the "Average Joe" had ANY idea as to just HOW much taxes they were paying there'd be a revolt. Remember that the next time some politician talks about raising tax on something - or adding a NEW tax (which they're ESPECIALLY good at - look at the add-ons for your vehicle registration alone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin