Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:13 AM

71 posts, read 56,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Big Cat BBQ in Cedar Park is my personal local favorite. They had something called "Burnt Ends" that they offer every now and then which I could have inhaled by the pound. That's not a Texas style thing to my knowledge, but daaaaaaamn it was good!
Burnt ends are fairly common, Franklin's hands them out for free as tastes to people standing in line once you are near the counter. I agree they are lovely. It's just the crusty/fatty/burnt bits from near the end of the brisket (though some places try to recreate something similar with pork belly. One of the top places in DFW does a lovely "pork belly burnt end" appetizer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
Actually, I think I'm not giving him enough credit. I was talking specifically about Austin BBQ, which as ScoPro said was never really all that until Franklin came along. I know he didn't invent it but I'd argue that he kicked the whole Texas BBQ scene into another gear, and not just in Austin.
That's just absurd.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
He certainly did for the Austin BBQ scene. There is no denying that.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's just absurd.

Yep, absurd. (MAN, do I miss Jerry Jacobs!)

Yesterday I was showing property out near San Saba. We stopped on the way to the property for lunch at Young's Burritos and BBQ (I'd looked for someplace likely for lunch on Yelp and the reviews there convinced me). Oh. My. God. The brisket was incredible (and I was only able to eat half of it - the rest came home with us), and my husband said the sweetbreads were likewise. It's a two hour drive each way, but we will be going back SOON. VERY soon. Is it too soon to go back now?

Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yep, absurd. (MAN, do I miss Jerry Jacobs!)

Yesterday I was showing property out near San Saba. We stopped on the way to the property for lunch at Young's Burritos and BBQ (I'd looked for someplace likely for lunch on Yelp and the reviews there convinced me). Oh. My. God. The brisket was incredible (and I was only able to eat half of it - the rest came home with us), and my husband said the sweetbreads were likewise. It's a two hour drive each way, but we will be going back SOON. VERY soon. Is it too soon to go back now?
Haven't had sweetbreads in a while. I thought only the French did that.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Haven't had sweetbreads in a while. I thought only the French did that.

Well, my husband, when he saw them on the menu, said the last time he had any was long ago at Chez Nous. But our waitress (who is also the Matriarch of the place and a doll) said that when her son suggested them, she thought he was crazy but they are selling like hot cakes.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
He certainly did for the Austin BBQ scene. There is no denying that.
Austin TX had amazing BBQ before Franklin was born, those who believe he started some big awakening in the BBQ world are the same people who believe that waiting hours in line for his BBQ is worth the wait.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Austin TX had amazing BBQ before Franklin was born, those who believe he started some big awakening in the BBQ world are the same people who believe that waiting hours in line for his BBQ is worth the wait.
It IS worth the wait, just not on a regular basis. And no, I don't think he is the best joint in town either (though he does have the best brisket I've had ~anywhere~). But I also understand why it wouldn't be worth it for some.

You are right that he wasn't the start of great Austin BBQ, but he was the start of a revolution in it. He brought the tradition of Mueller's to us, which although close enough for us to go to isn't properly considered Austin of course. Not just that, but he expanded on that solid foundation (Mueller's being one of the Grandaddys and highest forms of Texas BBQ), and reinterpreted it in a way that would be ignorant to say hasn't been very special. In fact many other top BBQ spots not just in Austin but all over Texas were directly inspired (and often learned from and under) Aaron.

Just as some think that it's "hipster" to like and enjoy Frankin's, it has definitely become hipster to undersell it and look down on it sadly. But Aaron earned his reputation, and it's not just hipsters, it is BBQ experts, cullinary experts and chefs from everywhere who give him his high (and deserved) praise.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityTodd View Post
It IS worth the wait, just not on a regular basis. And no, I don't think he is the best joint in town either (though he does have the best brisket I've had ~anywhere~). But I also understand why it wouldn't be worth it for some.

You are right that he wasn't the start of great Austin BBQ, but he was the start of a revolution in it. He brought the tradition of Mueller's to us, which although close enough for us to go to isn't properly considered Austin of course. Not just that, but he expanded on that solid foundation (Mueller's being one of the Grandaddys and highest forms of Texas BBQ), and reinterpreted it in a way that would be ignorant to say hasn't been very special. In fact many other top BBQ spots not just in Austin but all over Texas were directly inspired (and often learned from and under) Aaron.

Just as some think that it's "hipster" to like and enjoy Frankin's, it has definitely become hipster to undersell it and look down on it sadly. But Aaron earned his reputation, and it's not just hipsters, it is BBQ experts, cullinary experts and chefs from everywhere who give him his high (and deserved) praise.
I don't disagree with any of that, I disagree with the people who claim that he somehow taught the greats of Austin BBQ what they know. In reality he learned from them just like everyone else smoking meat in Austin today.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with any of that, I disagree with the people who claim that he somehow taught the greats of Austin BBQ what they know. In reality he learned from them just like everyone else smoking meat in Austin today.
Absolutely. There is a lineage. But it is fair to say that he DID teach and train those who started not only other top Austin locations, but also top places elsewhere in the state.But great central Texas BBQ certainly existed before him and goes on after him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin