Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 04:17 PM

61 posts, read 71,469 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I'll be travelling to Austin in October for a conference downtown, and my wife and 2 year old daughter will be coming with me as a vacation. I'll be tied up during work hours and so I'd like to find some activities for them to do during that time, for a four day stretch.

I haven't decide where to stay yet, because I'm not sure if there are any/enough things to do within the walkable downtown area to warrant paying the prices to stay at a downtown hotel. If there are enough, then I'm looking at a hotel on Congress and E 7th. If the things to do stretch out more to the surrounding areas though, I'll book out further and just give them the car for the day.

The kiddo likes playgrounds and dinosaurs a lot, neither of which I think I'll find in the downtown area. She does OK with museums. Doesn't like walking by herself a whole lot so I think the places need to be stroller friendly. Any suggestions?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,721,374 times
I might suggest the Marriott on 51st near 35. It would be easy to get downtown and is very near the Mueller area with the Thinkery (children's museum) and two parks (one with a pretty rad dragon art installation thing your two year old might like). When is the trip? If it's summer, aka soon, then there are a few splash pads in town. If it's later wen it's cooler then there are other things that someone with kids might be able to chime in about.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanks! We'll be there in mid-October, but it looks like temps average in the 80's there still which for me (Chicago) is still summer weather. I did check out that Residence Inn Marriott you mentioned, and its about as pricey as some of the downtown places for my dates. I think because there are two conventions (at least, that I know of) going on during those days. But that Thinkery place looks neat, wherever we end up I'll ask my wife to head over there for an afternoon for sure. THanks for the heads up.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,721,374 times
October is a pricey time of the year for Austin. Theee of the four weeks we have HUGE events going on. The first and second weekend is ACL snd the third is F1. You may want to check air bnbs as well.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,118,706 times
The Thinkery is great! Definitely go there! Great playground right outside too.

Very close to downtown, technically you could walk there but not if you were two years old, is Zilker park with a large playscape under the live oaks, as well as Barton Springs pool, AND THE ZILKER ZEPHER TRAIN!! also in this area of the park is the Zilker Caretakers Cottage which has been restored. My two year old nephew was fascinated because the coteage is where you can meet PARK RANGERS! which he found amazing! Zilker also has the Austin Nature and Science Center (in an adjacent area of the park), the Science Center has displays of (living) native animals and a dinosaur pit where you can "dig" up dinasaur bones. The UT Memorial Museum on UT campus has a very kid-friend display of dinosaurs! Perfect for age two.

Zilker Park Visitors Guide | Austin, TX
Zilker Metropolitan Park | Parks and Recreation | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin
Austin Nature & Science Center | Austin Parks and Recreation | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

https://tmm.utexas.edu/

Old 08-27-2018, 08:51 PM

Aaah good to know, thanks. I kind of feel like these were the price levels I saw last month for the same stay dates, so I don't feel like I "missed out" on affordable hotels.

centralaustinite: Thanks for those suggestions. My daughter loves dinosaurs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: