Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Driving the length of Mopac (620 to Ben White) after 3:00pm has not improved for us from what it was prior to the start of the project.
Of course it is moving better now than it was when the years of FUBAR reconstruction was going on.
Quote:
For example, southbound travel times in the MoPac Expressway general purpose lanes between Parmer Lane and Cesar Chavez Street during the morning peak hours have dropped by more than half. Between 7 and 9 a.m., that trip used to take more than 30 minutes. Now, a typical run takes just over 13 minutes.

However, during the afternoon rush, the typical travel time peaks higher at 35 minutes, five minutes longer than what a driver would typically expect before the express lanes opened. Drivers heading north on MoPac’s non-tolled lanes, particularly in the evening, also still face significant delays.

Part of that is due to the 28,000 extra vehicles each day that are filling the roadway between Enfield Road and RM 2222 since the express lanes opened.
New lanes will rarely reduce congestion, but they will allow more throughput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Part of the problem with MoPac is that they only have two entrances to the northbound Express Lanes south of 183 so it forces all downtown people to enter at Cesar Chavez. This means that someone that may normally enter at 6th would enter at CC and that extra traffic is now on MoPac. There really should be another entrance somewhere to the Express Lanes and it would solve some of the problem.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:55 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
New lanes will rarely reduce congestion, but they will allow more throughput.
The 3rd lane expansion of I-35 reduced congestion for a few years. Made my commuting a lot easier in the 1980s.
And from personal experience the Mopac project has not facilitated travel for my family. More lanes can work, fewer lanes certainly do not.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The 3rd lane expansion of I-35 reduced congestion for a few years. Made my commuting a lot easier in the 1980s.
And from personal experience the Mopac project has not facilitated travel for my family. More lanes can work, fewer lanes certainly do not.
Well MoPac went from 6 lanes to 8 lanes so it was additional lanes, but the two added lanes are tolled. They still are lanes, if you're willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: