Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 03:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
And the insular close-minded morons who thought that this wasn’t something that could happen when they restricted the ability to build near the main job/entertainment source at the time.

Your need to flee was created by you and your ilk.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but stupidity and partisan single-issue politics have existed for so damn long that people fail to see past the end of their own ever-growing nose.

By this do you mean tear down the lovely single family housing that made it a desirable place to live and replace with multi-family ant hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 03:34 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Correct. And look what it got us. I realize it’s been pointed out to you about 7,432 times.

You ran anyway, rather than try to help the city through it. You created a problem and ran from the result.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:27 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
There are lies, damned lies...and then there are statistics.

A percentage growth rate is hardly what many people see on a daily basis. They see actual people, so that moderate growth rate still means really crowded festivals, water features, concerts, restaurants, bike rides, streets, etc etc compared to just a decade ago(when we arrived, give or take).
That is true, and the greater growth of the suburbs (compared to CoA) is a significant factor; but my real point is that growth is also a factor in desirability. There are way more festivals and options than there used to be; the difference I see is in the things that don't expand at all - the hike-n-bike trail, Barton Creek, etc. That 'lovely single family home' had nothing at all to do with my situation in Austin in the 1980s or most of the 90s, since I lived in dumpy MFUs of one sort of another.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Correct. And look what it got us. I realize it’s been pointed out to you about 7,432 times.

You ran anyway, rather than try to help the city through it. You created a problem and ran from the result.

Heck, if I could have kept my horses on our city lot (five minutes from downtown), I would have stayed - it was still livable when we moved to the ranch (I'm still in Austin often, sometimes five days a week, sometimes once, and until he retired my husband was there 7 days a week, 12 or more hours a day). As it is I kept the house and it is rented to some native Austinites that I've known all or most of their lives.

And glad you admit that your "solution" is to turn Austin into something entirely different from what enticed people to move here in the first place and to turn it into your preferred ant hill. Which is no solution at all.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:56 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
I've lived a lot of places, but one consistent theme through living in fast growing cities, everyone wants it to be what is was when they moved there. Not realizing that they are just as much a problem as the ones moving there today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin