Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Transplant is plants or organs, to me.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Well, I believe I said upthread (and several places) and meant that anyone who moves here and loves and/or respects the place is more than welcome, but that those who come here and start badmouthing Texas or trying to change it to reflect where they came from more than it reflects where they are is perhaps not in the best place for them OR us. Is that what you were referring to?

For the record, I'm not using this forum to advertise what I do for a living. I did sign up so that "real estate agent" appears under my name because, as far as I understand it, that's the rule (so that people will know if they're talking to someone who might have a very specific kind of knowledge and/or agenda) and I'm all about the rules.

As for Trader Joe's, I was familiar with the Trader Joe's cult long before I came to this forum OR was a real estate agent. Most folks that I know fully acknowledge that they're cultists, sort of how I am about Penzey's and IKEA. So I can understand the desire by them to have one.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 04-07-2008 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
Lightbulb Austin

Jenbar

Report what to the mods? People can move wherever they want, doesn't mean we don't have a right to complain about what it's doing to our city/state. I bet you, most Texans would tell you that they feel the way I do. I'm not being politically correct, and never will be. I'm blunt and I'll tell you like it is. If you want to hear a lie about how we enjoy seeing our home prices skyrocket, our streets get more and more crowded, and how we have to deal with rude and obnoxious people who move here, you're wasting your time and you're not very realistic. Texans are friendly and very caring, for the most part, but at some point it gets ridiculous when it's apparent that half the state is moving to Austin and/or Texas. That point is now. We dont' like it, but we can't stop it. I don't personally care what you or any other transplant says because I'd rather you stay where you are than move here. I'm just being honest and I bet that if you asked most Texans, they'd say the same thing.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:00 PM

17 posts, read 43,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I really think it's sad how people on this forum - a RELOCATION FORUM - treat others who want to move here. REGARDLESS of whether or not they wish for a Trader Joes (I want one too!!! But, I get by....) You do know that OTHER people are reading right?? It's not very friendly, nor hospitable.

Especially, if you use this forum to advertise your line of work....
Yeah, I'm not that impressed by that, either. Why be so negative?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
How do they know they are going to love it till they move here and try it on for size??

I had family here for years and years - so I visited often, so I knew... but not everyone gets that opportunity. Some people are brought here by jobs or whatever else... and they may be wistfull for what they had elsewhere (I think that's kind of natural, and dare I say... human? Do you mean to tell me if you moved somewhere else you wouldn't be wishing for Whataburger, or good BBQ... or something?) ... but that doesn't mean they can't learn to love it here, and acclimate... and get into it... but it's kind of hard when people are faced with this kind of "anti-relocation" hate. It also may put those moving here on the defensive... and so they are looking for a fight, or to hate it as soon as they get here.

If people moved here and the next day they were saying "Ya'll" and talking about how they wished it was like it used to be in the late '80's, while they hung a rustic star over their garage... you would be calling them on their fakeness...

Transplants can't win or lose it seems.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,316 times
That is exactly what I was expecting from some of the narrow minded people (I am not trying to put each one of you guys posted here in the same bucket please excuse me if I come across as rude). Yeah go ahead call me immigrant or let me guess ???, nah I do not think you would even know where Turkey is (assuming you already guessed where I am from), for you probably anything outside of Texas is considered foreign land. I think some of the people here in this forum should take their heads of out of the sand and try to understand we are all immigrants to USA unless you are full blood Indian. The only difference your folks landed here a century or so earlier and were very nice to the original owners of these lands. did not you guys also called them names too, like Ingian or something??

Texas Horse lady you make me laugh with your intelligent postings. Good job!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Texans are friendly and very caring
Seriously? 'Cause I'm not getting that vibe from you.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:07 PM

Hey FYI - it's not transplants moving here that is driving up your cost of living. It's called "inflation".

inflation - definition of inflation by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Inflation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It tends to happen over time. If you haven't noticed, burgers aren't .05 anymore and a loaf of bread costs more than .20 - and that has nothing to do with the Californians.

Frankly, you should be mad at the travel magazines and other places that keep rating Austin darn near the top of pretty much everything good!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:07 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
Default Austin

People are rude to Texans in Colorado.......very rude. From what I understand, they're not very fond of Californians either. I guess it's the basic stereotype or perception that all of you moving here are just doing it for financial gain, looking for "the next best thing."

I know first hand that thousands of people from California are in a rat race to try and buy up as much land/property as they can in Texas in anticipation of inflation and supply/demand and they're betting/hoping that prices will skyrocket so that they can sell high and make their millions. If you keep up with the articles on MSN, they had one months ago about all these billionaires buying up thousands and thousands of acres all over Texas. That Yahoo founder has purchased millions of acres in West Texas. That's not greed? I know of people calling agents/brokers here in Austin and buying property/homes without ever seeing the property in person. And as Texans, we're supposed to sit back and watch it happen and like it? Please, if you're looking for a welcome sign from most of us, forget it.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM

17 posts, read 43,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Hey FYI - it's not transplants moving here that is driving up your cost of living. It's called "inflation".

inflation - definition of inflation by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Inflation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It tends to happen over time. If you haven't noticed, burgers aren't .05 anymore and a loaf of bread costs more than .20 - and that has nothing to do with the Californians.

Frankly, you should be mad at the travel magazines and other places that keep rating Austin darn near the top of pretty much everything good!
I AGREE! It's not just the transplants, I realize that- living in the most inflated ridiculously overpriced city on the west coast- it's not just all the people moving here. It's also the fact that people are getting paid more and can afford more- therefore prices get higher. Gas is up to almost $5/gallon in SF!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin