Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me why Austin seems to be the most popular destination in Texas for people from California? Is someone posting ads in the newspapers or creating commercials in California about Austin? I work for a developer in the Accounting office and 2 out of 3 applications I see are from California. Is it that bad in other parts of the state? You can't drive down the street without seeing numerous California plates. Is everyone in the state leaving for Texas these days or what?

Also, we've seen a huge increase in Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania families looking for housing. What's going on up there? Is this all a result of the housing/credit crunch going on? The weather?Oklahoma is a cheap place to live, why not there? Why not Kentucky or Arkansas? What's so attractive to people about Texas and Austin? I know the answer because I've lived here all my life, but I couldn't tell you a single place in the country I'd move to if I had to. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Well, my neighbors sister lives in CA and she says yes, Texas, and particularly Austin advertises like crazy there...

I don't think CA people are just coming here though. If you scan other forums here, everyone is complaining about Californians (sorry guys!). CA is a big state, that's heavily populated and a lot of people are leaving.... those people have to go somewhere.... but like I said, this same discussion is in all the threads...

You do know that these forums are often used for relocation discussion, don't you? So I think it goes without saying that you will hear a lot of ... shock!... relocation discussion here. Which typically means, people RELOCATING from OTHER STATES!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
The question is, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

And is it the State of Texas who's advertising there, or companies from Texas, or on craigslist, or what?

Given the things that folks from California say about Texas on craigslist (and some of them when they move here), it IS puzzling.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
State of Texas, same like you see the CA ads on TV here. Haven't you seen the commercial advertising California with Arnold, and other celebrities? TV, Radio, newspaper....

Old 04-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Nope, haven't seen those. But, then, we don't have cable or satellite (the latter of which is our only option here) - only get broadcast television, though, due to our location, from two separate areas.

I HAVE seen New Mexico and Louisiana advertising in Texas Monthly, but that seems to be more for the vacation market.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
The influx from CA to Austin has been going on steadily for over 50 years. I don't know how or why it started. Perhaps back in the 30's when so many Hollywood stars had homes in San Antonio the word got out about Texas and Austin's more liberal atmosphere became the most natural drawing factor for the average Californian.

I can understand why Austin more than Fredricksburg or Waco, even Dallas or Houston or San Antonio. The political climate is certainly closer to what they know in CA than most Texas cities.

I don't know that Texas gets a lot more Californians than any other state in general, but I am pretty sure that it gets a lot more than the wintery states just because of the snow factor. That would put us in a pretty tight race with Florida, Louisiana, New Mexico and Arizona though. Perhaps AZ loses just because they are so close to CA that it is not enough of a move.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 43,280 times
Californians are leaving because it's too darn expensive to live here. I'm choosing Austin because it seems like a hip, friendly place with a lower cost of living and good weather. Most of the people I've met from Texas seem pretty nice, too.
Also- Austin is a college town and more liberal, and people from California like that. Are you saying you don't want us?

Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM

17 posts, read 43,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
The influx from CA to Austin has been going on steadily for over 50 years. I don't know how or why it started. Perhaps back in the 30's when so many Hollywood stars had homes in San Antonio the word got out about Texas and Austin's more liberal atmosphere became the most natural drawing factor for the average Californian.

I can understand why Austin more than Fredricksburg or Waco, even Dallas or Houston or San Antonio. The political climate is certainly closer to what they know in CA than most Texas cities.

I don't know that Texas gets a lot more Californians than any other state in general, but I am pretty sure that it gets a lot more than the wintery states just because of the snow factor. That would put us in a pretty tight race with Florida, Louisiana, New Mexico and Arizona though. Perhaps AZ loses just because they are so close to CA that it is not enough of a move.
AZ loses because it doesn't have as good of a job market. Also, AZ has some unfriendly people over there!!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I don't think people don't want Californians, but as Texans I don't think we want to end up as liberal as it is out there.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Oh, absolutely! Texas must remain Texas. On this thread, however, I just was echoing the curiousity as to why so many Californians either (a) move to Texas or (b) hate Texas or (b) AND (c), and what motivates them to move here. Didn't realize that our State was advertising there until I was told so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin