Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,818 times

Advertisements

I am in Houston and have lived here for 40 years. I now have the opportunity to move to Austin, a place I have wanted to move to for years.

I searched the site for places to live, but not a lot on rent houses and apartments. Can anyone recommend any in decent neighborhoods? Looking for a one bedroom apartment or a two bedroom house that takes pets.

Also, I may or may not have employment when I get there. What is the job market like for PR or reporting? I have a degree in communications and have experience.

Also, I used to know people there, but do not communicate anymore. How can one get connected there? (I am male, 40, Caucasian)

I would appreciate any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 AM

63 posts, read 248,349 times
What kind of price range are you looking in?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
Look on craigslist -- you'll find everything you need. Info on jobs, housing...

To meet people, you probably want to see what kind of Yahoo or MeetUp groups there are in Austin. I've already found a new groups that I've joined and I'm not even in Austin yet.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM

63 posts, read 248,349 times
I have to respectfully disagree with atlanta hope. You'll not find "everything you need" on Craigslist. Especially as far as housing is concerned. They have limited information on housing, jobs as well. There are very few housing listings on Craigslist. If you are interested in renting a condo, house, duplex, triplex, fourplex, or in a smaller apartment complex, get a Realtor!!! If you are interested mainly in apartments , get an apartment locator. Both are free to you. I do agree however with looking into meetup.com.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
We "live" in Vegas and HATE it...looking to relocate to Texas, just don't know WHERE....thinking Addison, Austin or even Dallas. Neither one of us has a job yet and no idea of housing. Thinking about $600 month to start. We are not asking for much. Just a little of what everyone else is getting, ya know, decent people, nice place to live, fellowship at a worship, good wages for a days work and most of all, some kind of a life! Anyone out there???

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM

322 posts, read 847,112 times
$600 per month for an apartment? Very hard to find. Not impossible, but very hard. If you don't have employment lined up, I would NOT recommend just coming here without a good amount of savings. You will very quickly get yourself in a hole. There are plenty of service industry jobs out there, but remember that this is, really, a big college town. OP, there is a large RTF school at UT. Those students are looking for internships and working for free for many of the local "communications" businesses.
This is a good town. There is a lot here for just about anyone. But the job market is TOUGH for everyone without employment right now. (unless, obviously, you are a doctor or some such).
Most of all, good luck with your decision.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav2001 View Post
Also, I may or may not have employment when I get there. What is the job market like for PR or reporting? I have a degree in communications and have experience.
I have a degrees in journalism from UT and was also a former reporter. The job opportunities in those areas are -0-. I became a freelance writer and built up a stable client base. But nope, there are no jobs like that in Austin.

Don't move until you have a job, that's all I can say. Austin is more desirable than other Texas cities, and I suspect (although I don't know) that it's pretty much on par with the rest of the nation in terms of unemployment.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I have a degrees in journalism from UT and was also a former reporter. The job opportunities in those areas are -0-. I became a freelance writer and built up a stable client base. But nope, there are no jobs like that in Austin.

Don't move until you have a job, that's all I can say. Austin is more desirable than other Texas cities, and I suspect (although I don't know) that it's pretty much on par with the rest of the nation in terms of unemployment.
Which TX city is more desirable is very subjective, despite what many others may insist based off limited experience or bias.
BTW, OP's post is from 2008, and he never checked back in.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Which TX city is more desirable is very subjective, despite what many others may insist based off limited experience or bias.
BTW, OP's post is from 2008, and he never checked back in.
Ah, I didn't know that someone has resurrected a dead thread. Thanks for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin