Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 08:33 PM

11,653 posts, read 7,787,734 times

Advertisements

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Just wondering here. Are these super storms with lightning pulverizing the earth / downpours and semi-tornadoes normal? Just seems it's been pretty rough so far as far as rain goes lately.

I drove home from work in it. It wasn't 'awful' but it sure looked scary outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 08:44 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Honestly, it seems there are less of these systems than there used to be (20+ years ago). But maybe that is just me .

Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Honestly, it seems there are less of these systems than there used to be (20+ years ago). But maybe that is just me .
Interesting.

Honestly I've always have been feeling the weather in general has not been normal across the nation almost like I'm just waiting on something to happen.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
The thing is, the weather is rarely 'normal'. The 'average' weather is no now way indicative of what to expect. 2" average rain in a month could be 0" for 4 years and then 10" in the fifth. The average is 2" but it never rains 2". Just an example, of course, but not unreasonable at all with tropical systems and other weather patterns.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:19 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,438,169 times
Moved here in '08 after one of the wettest years...then it didn't rain for the next five. We were told the "cycle" was 2 years of one type of weather, followed by 1 year of the opposite...then reverse and rinse and repeat. Seems like we are on more of a 4-5 year seesaw...with one outlier month thrown in each year.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:19 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
2019 is shaping up to be a "wet" year rather than a dry one. But tropical downpours with "walls of water" falling from the sky with basically no visibility at all are not uncommon in Texas and this was true 20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.

During one storm during our early years in Texas, it rained so hard during a tropical system that we had tree frogs squeezing in under our door frame and the next morning found an entire FIRE ANT colony had moved their mound under our first floor dining room carpet!! (older apartment complex). During the peak of that rain, you couldn't see more than 6 inches in front of you!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
2019 is shaping up to be a "wet" year rather than a dry one. But tropical downpours with "walls of water" falling from the sky with basically no visibility at all are not uncommon in Texas and this was true 20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.

During one storm during our early years in Texas, it rained so hard during a tropical system that we had tree frogs squeezing in under our door frame and the next morning found an entire FIRE ANT colony had moved their mound under our first floor dining room carpet!! (older apartment complex). During the peak of that rain, you couldn't see more than 6 inches in front of you!
I guess I have always thought of Central Texas as a dry and arrid place...some rain yeah - but semi-desert.

Does DFW get hammer storms often?

Old 07-09-2019, 02:29 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,568,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I guess I have always thought of Central Texas as a dry and arrid place...some rain yeah - but semi-desert.

Yes. They are in tornado alley. Austin is not. Dallas is drier in the summer. Anyone who looks at a climate map that a 4th grader can read would see Sustin is not in the desert.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

The Dallas area and all of NE Texas gets hellacious storms pretty regularly. Personally, I like them but they are sort of an acquired taste - LOL!

Central Texas is not a desert or semi desert. Austin has had a rainier than average year but big "frog stranglers," as my dad used to call heavy rainfall and storms, are common in that area, as is flooding.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:56 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,568,881 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;55626613

Central Texas is not a desert or semi desert. Austin has had a rainier than average year but big "frog stranglers," as my dad used to call heavy rainfall and storms, are common in that area, as is flooding.[/QUOTE]

After all, south and south central Texas are called the flash flood capital of the world. Some people just don’t research an area much before relocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin