Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 PM

286 posts, read 569,489 times

Advertisements

It doesn't need a three minute boil. Honestly, it doesn't even need 1 minute, unless you're at altitude. All you need to do is get to boiling temperature. Not sure why people think it needs that long.
https://www.offgridweb.com/preparati...-boiling-time/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 02:32 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Come on out to the normally placid Lake Travis and watch the current. Come out and watch all the debris floating by the water's edge. Come watch a normally clear lake be as dirty as the Mississippi. This was a catastrophic flood in case you didn't realize.

Normally clear? Lake Travis is normally clear???????? What definition are you using for "normally clear"?

As a diver, the only time I've seen that lake as "clear" is through an IR camera.

Now, I imagine in the current state, I imagine what I know as visibility is ZILCH! Maybe not black but gone. Further, it is currently off the dive site list; it is closed.

As far as the situation, I "like" it that it breaks the meme of the picture of the black child saying something like, "Let me get this straight, you are buying up the bottled water because you are worried about too much water falling from the sky?". Yeah, well there is logical reason to that.

So tell me my Austin neighbors, are 5 gallon coolers being bought out as well? Way back when my mother was in her last years in her house with her caretakers, one of the emergency items I put in her house were 1 or 2 5 gallon drink coolers (and water purification tablets). These days, those coolers are part of 4 or 5 at my place, part of the camping equipment. Further, as the camp cook, they are things I occasionally pick up another as it is determined that camp needs have increased........but I don't suppose this would be the week for that.

The comment about the ice in one's refrigerator I wonder about. Is it unsafe because it is assumed that everyone has an ice maker and it is on constant feed? I don't think I've had such a refrigerator since 1990 if not before; still use ice trays.

As far as the panic state in Austin......well, glad I decided not to live there.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I realize that. Just wonder with all the progressives in local government they didn't anticipate the effects of climate change and ASKED THE QUESTION what do we need to do to prepare. Oh, wait a minute, soccer club...
If we would have proposed a similar filtration system to WCID #17 (we don't have that problem in Steiner), then you would've cried "I don't want no GUBMINT in my wallet".

Can't have it both ways...

Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
It is astounding to me that a city of almost 1 million people can't provide fresh water for its residents. We've had floods before, why is this the first time this is happening? Is it suspicious to anyone else that the boil water order came on Monday morning after COTA and all the rich foreigners were on their way out this weekend? Holy crab, our local government can ban plastic bags, declare sanctuary city status, coddle every developer with million dollar condo plans, and the Mayor can hang out at Beto rallies, meanwhile our infrastructure is totally failing us, apparently for years. KXAN may be doing a story on this. Wake up folks! This election matters not only nationally, but locally. Your politicians are failing you miserably. Think about that as your boiling water so your kids and pets can drink water safely. This is outrageous!
It is suspicious that the boil water notice did come after everyone left. I am wondering if it might have also had to do with all the hassle that hotels and restaurants would have to deal with if they had to boil water. Would hotels have had to have provided that water for all their rich European guests? As a resident I find it suspicious, but I can understand why they would have put it off.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 AM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
the progressive leadership would rather spend their time and your money on the homeless, substize housing, food recycling and on and on. they hire similar people with similar views and are ill prepared for emergencies.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
It doesn't need a three minute boil. Honestly, it doesn't even need 1 minute, unless you're at altitude. All you need to do is get to boiling temperature. Not sure why people think it needs that long.
https://www.offgridweb.com/preparati...-boiling-time/
I will tell you something even more surprising. The tests of the Austin water supply have all turned out clean. So you actually don't need to boil.

This advisory was issued because they can't clean and disinfect to the levels they usually do. So the water quality is on the decline and EVENTUALLY it will require boiling. This is why they could wait until after F1 to announce boiling.

Now, it's easy for me to say this from the confines of my extremely high quality WCID #17 water, which we got taxed for extra filters a few years back. You get what you pay for.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It is suspicious that the boil water notice did come after everyone left. I am wondering if it might have also had to do with all the hassle that hotels and restaurants would have to deal with if they had to boil water. Would hotels have had to have provided that water for all their rich European guests? As a resident I find it suspicious, but I can understand why they would have put it off.
The water tests all came back clean, this is why they delayed. They actually could've waited a day or two more to announce the boil but they can't wait until the water is already contaminated. The tests show a declining water quality, you have to proactively warn slightly ahead of time. But... you definitely don't want to jeopardize the biggest event of our calendar with negative press, ESPECIALLY since the water was clean during F1.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:05 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Lol @ all the conspiracy theories. Maybe the flooding was just photoshopped special effects so HEB could sell more bottled water....

Old 10-23-2018, 07:16 AM

So the question is... Has anyone drank or brushed their teeth with the water since they announced the boil and lived to tell about it????

Old 10-23-2018, 07:17 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Lol @ all the conspiracy theories. Maybe the flooding was just photoshopped special effects so HEB could sell more bottled water....
Yup, it is all a conspiracy. Apparently everything that happens these days is.

The loss of water volume is more of an issue than quality, more likely....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin