Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,021 times

Advertisements

If you want to be only 30 min to downtown, I would consider Steiner Ranch or Lost Creek (in Eanes, one of the more cost-friendly and family friendly areas in Eanes) for good schools. From Lost Creek, you can be downtown in 15 minutes. Other Eanes options might be Senna Hills or some of the neighborhoods off of Cuernavaca.

Another good option would be the "Laurel Oaks" neighborhood near 183 and Spicewood Springs. It feeds into Laurel Mountain and Caraway schools, which are technically Round Rock schools, except that they are really located in NW Austin, not close to Round Rock. (Other Round Rock schools would be much farther from the city.) Laurel Mtn and Caraway are excellent schools and you could be downtown in 15 minutes I think.

You might also consider Lakeway or some of the other neighborhoods along 620 (Canyon Creek)? There's also the Uplands, across the street from Senna Hills off of Bee Cave Rd (technically in the town of Bee Cave and feeds into Lake Travis schools).

So many choices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 PM

106 posts, read 376,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkitln View Post
Hi All!!!

My daughter and I are moving to the area this summer. My brother lives in Harker Heights and wants us to move out there near him. Can anyone give me information on the area? I like the city life so I considered moving to Austin, but with a 9yr old little girl, I think the quiet life maybe better. I moved her away from the DC-MD-VA life because of the crime rate rapidly growing. Can anyone give me information on schools in the Harker Heights-Killeen area? Or even what side (if there are sides to those little towns) to live on.

Thanks!!!!!
North Killeen if you are going to move there. Harker Heights is just north of Killeen and there's alot of development in the area. I would recommend the town of Salado because you can get to HH in about 20 minutes and Austin in less than an hour. It's a small artisan village with great schools, but it is very small, so I don't know if you will like it if you like city living. Georgetown is about halfway between Salado and Austin.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 30,317 times
Georgetown??? Is that near the big shopping area? Round Rock I think they call it...

Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM

Salado...I hadn't heard of that one yet. I'll have to look it up. I'm glad you mentioned good schools, that's definitely a deciding factor for us. We're coming down there on the 8th of May to look around some more. Hopefully our final move will be sometime in the beginning of May. Thanks everybody for your responses, you've been very helpful.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
The Round Rock ISD is considered good, as is the Leander school district. I personally would prefer Eanes.

Harker Heights, Coppperas Cove and Killeen are not good places to live IMO! Crime and problematic schools. A lot of social instability generally. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I wouldn't choose that area as a place to relocate.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Hi Doctorjef!!! Thanks so much for the information. Unfortunately my brother is sick so my daughter and I didn't make it down this weekend. I called him and gave him the other cities to look at for me. Right now I'm kinda at his mercy, since I can't get there. Making this move is nerve racking enough without having to worry about schools, a social life, and the cost of living. I appreciate all the advice I've been getting from people. Thanks again!!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,729 times
Salado is a small school. I would not say it is a "good" school. adequate maybe, good, not. as with any small school (it is a 2A school, which means it has maybe 1500 kids district wide, probably 400 kids in high school). as with any small school, the academic offerings are limited.
use justforkids.org to compare schools.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM

310 posts, read 575,632 times
Round Rock ISD. You can live in NW Austin and still have your kids go to RRISD. Spicewood Elementary, Canyon Vista MS and Westwood HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin