Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:34 AM

95 posts, read 569,198 times

Advertisements

Hello-
We are looking to live in suburbia, don't want to live in Austin itself, but to be <30 minutes from downtown just for evenings, like dinners, theatres, etc...
The highest we would spend is around $650k...of course, if could spend a little less, that would be nice, but that is what we are thinking.
What surrounding towns do you recommend?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 AM

55 posts, read 224,946 times
Sounds like you would like Steiner Ranch. You may also consider living near Lake Travis, their schools are suppose to be very good and there are lots of nice places toi eat, shop, etc. Lago Vista is nice.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:07 AM

55 posts, read 224,946 times
Default PS Westlake or Rollingwood

Eanes ISD is good, and it is close to town. Other areas in Eanes would be off of 360 like Davenport, Rob Roy.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
You really don't need to look at surrounding towns if you want to be less than 30 minutes from downtown. There are plenty of places in Austin that will fit your bill. Like the previous poster said, Eanes is a good school district and a good place to start. The homes are expensive in that district but generally the area is the prettiest (imo) in Austin. Lots of hills and lots of land set aside as preserves.

Take a look at austinhomesearch.com and search by school district to get an idea of how much house your budget will accomodate.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:00 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
I agree that if you can get into the Eanes school district, that's your best bet. As an alternative, our neighborhood, near Steiner Ranch, is excellent and you can get a lot of home for your price range here. We are in Austin proper, but in the Leander school district. All of the schools in this area are rated exemplary. Steiner Ranch is great, but in traffic you might be pushing it to be less than 30 minutes from downtown. We are 10 minutes closer in than Steiner Ranch and we always get downtown in 20-25 minutes. Steiner only has one major entrance in/out and I understand that with traffic it can be a nightmare at times (I know picking up my kid from school there can be horrendous)!

As Austin Traveler said, I would look at Eanes, Leander and Lake Travis school districts on a real estate website. If you go too far north into the Leander school district, though, you're too far out from downtown and the schools are not as highly rated.

Or you can search 78730 zip code - that's our zip code - for an idea of what you can get. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2006, 05:10 PM

37 posts, read 161,269 times
We live in Steiner Ranch and I love it. There are actually two entry ways in and out so I just avoid the major entrance during school hours. Other than that...I work downtown and I can be there in 30 minutes (not in rush hour of course) Rush hour is more like an hour for me. Steiner Ranch has an excellent school district, if you are looking at schools. $650K will go along way there. You can get around 3000 sqft for mid to high 300K. Not to mention the lake is near by and hills and trees. It is a very secluded community. I can't say enough good things about it.

Eanes is also very nice. We looked there first and I loved it. I just found that I could get a little more in Steiner and I really liked the side walks, etc since I have children a dog. Plus, I like to run/jog in the mornings.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM

7 posts, read 30,309 times
Hi All!!!

My daughter and I are moving to the area this summer. My brother lives in Harker Heights and wants us to move out there near him. Can anyone give me information on the area? I like the city life so I considered moving to Austin, but with a 9yr old little girl, I think the quiet life maybe better. I moved her away from the DC-MD-VA life because of the crime rate rapidly growing. Can anyone give me information on schools in the Harker Heights-Killeen area? Or even what side (if there are sides to those little towns) to live on.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Default Crime Indices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkitln View Post
Hi All!!!

My daughter and I are moving to the area this summer. My brother lives in Harker Heights and wants us to move out there near him. Can anyone give me information on the area? I like the city life so I considered moving to Austin, but with a 9yr old little girl, I think the quiet life maybe better. I moved her away from the DC-MD-VA life because of the crime rate rapidly growing. Can anyone give me information on schools in the Harker Heights-Killeen area? Or even what side (if there are sides to those little towns) to live on.
Thanks!!!!!
Interestingly, just about every metro area I could find in DC-MD-VA -- except for DC itself-- has a lower crime index than Killeen. Harker-Heights is a bit lower than Killeen, but these places offer nothing in comparison to what DC does as far as culture, entertainment and social opportunities.... But if quiet is all your looking for perhaps try the towns surround the Killeen area, but not Killeen itself.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 30,309 times
Thanks Mlassoff...I appreciate your input. I'll look into the surrounding areas

Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
A lot of people stationed at Fort Hood in Killeen live in Georgetown; you might want to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin