Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:15 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Not calling you anything, just saying if someone is being an ass, they aren't going to fit in. And saying you aren't likely to run into NYC style politics here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 01:48 PM

17 posts, read 16,177 times
Ahh my bad, and as long as it's not NYC style politics, then that's all I'm hoping for

Old 11-02-2018, 05:08 PM

62 posts, read 77,581 times
I moved to Austin from PA a long time ago. Based on your posts and my experience here I would advise you to probably look elsewhere or focus on suburbs around Austin.

I felt like I should elaborate......full disclosure I'm a liberal.

I walk my dogs around my neighborhood daily. I have not seen one Cruz (or other Republican) sign in anyone's yard. There are easily 100+ Beto signs. I live in South Austin. The discussions on the Nextdoor app are also pretty telling.

At work (financial industry) there are few native Texans in my building. I see a lot of Beto stickers on cars in the parking lot and many of the people that I have met have a liberal bend. We have Pride days at work.

At play - I play organized for fun sports softball and kickball. Politics seems to come up everywhere......and the great majority are pretty liberal. I'm also friends with a lot of them on FB so I see their political posts.

I have friends that live in a 55 and older community and Georgetown and even there I was surprised at all the Beto stuff. I drove to Wichita Falls last weekend and there are an abundance of Cruz/Republican signs up that way.

I'm not saying don't move here......but I would highly recommend you spend some time here before you decide to move. I lived in Philly for 12 years and to me Austin is A LOT more liberal.

Last edited by tick-tack; 11-02-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 09:29 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykme20 View Post
Mostly the latter.
Come and visit. See different parts of the city. Don't come during big events like SXSW or ACL (even events like marathons and motorcycle rallies can change the make-up of the city). You don't get the real Austin. Try to visit over the summer and then decide if we're a good fit. The summers are brutal. The months of October to March (maybe late April depending on the year) is what people live for in Austin. But those other months it sucks.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:31 PM

550 posts, read 498,511 times
Please move here and create a daily blog that we can follow to track your complete fail with moving to Austin.
Not because of your political views but because your perceived political views will be the beginning of the end of your time here.

Nobody here cares about your politics unless you want then to.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:42 PM

You seem to know a lot about me, and you seem to know my future too. That's some amazing insight.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick-tack View Post
I moved to Austin from PA a long time ago. Based on your posts and my experience here I would advise you to probably look elsewhere or focus on suburbs around Austin.

I felt like I should elaborate......full disclosure I'm a liberal.

I walk my dogs around my neighborhood daily. I have not seen one Cruz (or other Republican) sign in anyone's yard. There are easily 100+ Beto signs. I live in South Austin. The discussions on the Nextdoor app are also pretty telling.

At work (financial industry) there are few native Texans in my building. I see a lot of Beto stickers on cars in the parking lot and many of the people that I have met have a liberal bend. We have Pride days at work.

At play - I play organized for fun sports softball and kickball. Politics seems to come up everywhere......and the great majority are pretty liberal. I'm also friends with a lot of them on FB so I see their political posts.

I have friends that live in a 55 and older community and Georgetown and even there I was surprised at all the Beto stuff. I drove to Wichita Falls last weekend and there are an abundance of Cruz/Republican signs up that way.

I'm not saying don't move here......but I would highly recommend you spend some time here before you decide to move. I lived in Philly for 12 years and to me Austin is A LOT more liberal.
Yeah, I think I should do just that. Thanks for the advice

Old 11-02-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Come and visit. See different parts of the city. Don't come during big events like SXSW or ACL (even events like marathons and motorcycle rallies can change the make-up of the city). You don't get the real Austin. Try to visit over the summer and then decide if we're a good fit. The summers are brutal. The months of October to March (maybe late April depending on the year) is what people live for in Austin. But those other months it sucks.
Hmm I guess, I can see how it is in the summer. Though if the weather is anything like how it is in Egypt. Then it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:06 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykme20 View Post
Hmm I guess, I can see how it is in the summer. Though if the weather is anything like how it is in Egypt. Then it shouldn't be a problem.
Ahh. I think I know your type. You're a bro with a "passport" and lots of "stamps" who wants to find their paradise in Austin. You'll fit in fine until you match someone on Bumble or Tinder who is a native Austinite/Texan who knocks you down a peg or two when you start complaining about how dreadfully "humid" it is in April. Just wait until it's 5:30am on July 15th, 100% humidity with 0% visibility from the fog that doesn't lift until 11am and you're driving to your hip startup job in domain from your apartment in Kyle because that's the only place you can afford. Also a fun trip to Egypt for even a few weeks is different then 4 months in Austin, even if the climates are similar.

PLEASE visit. PLEASE talk to people your age and with your background before moving here. There is a Young Republican group, maybe get connected to them. There are facebook groups of "young professionals" in Austin that can give you honest insight, whether that be similar snark that I am giving you or their success stories.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:00 AM

Well, I grew up in Egypt until I was 15 before I moved to NJ (I'm 22 now). My family moved, cause being a Christian over there wasn't the safest place to be. Though, the only place I do have a stamp on my passport is probably Japan. But, I'll look for the FB groups and see how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin