Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, it is. You're not from around here, are you?
Compared to most major US cities? No it's not.

Portland is a comparably sized city and has an extensive transit network. I agree with the other poster though, Austin's poor planning has landed it in the current situation. "Don't build it and they won't come" was a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:45 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Compared to most major US cities? No it's not.

Portland is a comparably sized city and has an extensive transit network. I agree with the other poster though, Austin's poor planning has landed it in the current situation. "Don't build it and they won't come" was a bad idea.
No kidding. The no-growth idiots really have screwed this town since the 1970s.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:22 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
OK, first time visiting Austin from Caifornia and I never thought I'd say this, but Austin roads and traffic are WORSE than where I live in Orange county. Every. Sing. Road. Is under construction. The freeways are a mess. My GPS couldn't even direct me correctly half the time because a road had been closed or bulldozed.

It kind of tainted my visit to the city because I sat in traffic an inordinate amount of time. Not to mention, but Austin just isn't that pretty to look at. I took a walk on the new-ish boardwalk on Ladybird Lake down by the Oracle building.... I mean it was nice and all, but meh.... nothing to write home about. The neighborhoods are very blahh.. Everything looks very utilitarian, the roads, the sidewalks look all chewed up and things are just rough looking....all over. The neighborhoods had all kinds of random houses where some houses were cute, but the house next door was abandoned. The landscaping most places looked very bare.

I went to the Mt. Bonnell peak and looked around, that was cool,. I'll admit that. Was a nice view, but beyond that...very underwhelmed with Austin. I didnt see what all the hype was about.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:28 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
OK, first time visiting Austin from Caifornia and I never thought I'd say this, but Austin roads and traffic are WORSE than where I live in Orange county. Every. Sing. Road. Is under construction. The freeways are a mess. My GPS couldn't even direct me correctly half the time because a road had been closed or bulldozed.

It kind of tainted my visit to the city because I sat in traffic an inordinate amount of time. Not to mention, but Austin just isn't that pretty to look at. I took a walk on the new-ish boardwalk on Ladybird Lake down by the Oracle building.... I mean it was nice and all, but meh.... nothing to write home about. The neighborhoods are very blahh.. Everything looks very utilitarian, the roads, the sidewalks look all chewed up and things are just rough looking....all over. The neighborhoods had all kinds of random houses where some houses were cute, but the house next door was abandoned. The landscaping most places looked very bare.

I went to the Mt. Bonnell peak and looked around, that was cool,. I'll admit that. Was a nice view, but beyond that...very underwhelmed with Austin. I didnt see what all the hype was about.
Amen! Spread the word

Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Amen! Spread the word

We full up.
No Vacancy.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwreck20 View Post
amen! Spread the word :d

yes!

Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 AM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:

You were underwhelmed because you were not comparing Austin to the rest of Texas. It truly is beautiful when you look at it that way. I do have to agree with you that Austin is over-hyped and their PR dept. needs to take it down a notch or ten to match with reality.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:

Well you are one of the first people to not have blinders on.

To be honest, most of the people moving here have blinders on and they quickly realize after a few years what the real rub is.

Austin provides a semi-liberal area in the South, that's about it.

It has decent food, decent activities, decent trails, and good schools. It's a good place to raise a family and it has good jobs. It's cheaper than the coasts. The weather is rather benign, I mean it was -20F in Chicago today but 53F here. No snow to shovel and the extreme heat is dry heat instead of humid heat.

It's a decent place in the country, that's it. I like it but it's not for everyone. It is over hyped and a lot of people fall for it. If I had unlimited money, I'd probably be in California but I don't so I'm here.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:52 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well you are one of the first people to not have blinders on.

To be honest, most of the people moving here have blinders on and they quickly realize after a few years what the real rub is.

Austin provides a semi-liberal area in the South, that's about it.

It has decent food, decent activities, decent trails, and good schools. It's a good place to raise a family and it has good jobs. It's cheaper than the coasts. The weather is rather benign, I mean it was -20F in Chicago today but 53F here. No snow to shovel and the extreme heat is dry heat instead of humid heat.

It's a decent place in the country, that's it. I like it but it's not for everyone. It is over hyped and a lot of people fall for it. If I had unlimited money, I'd probably be in California but I don't so I'm here.
I mean, you could write off a lot of cities if you described them for their most basic features. Almost nowhere in the US is truly desirable except for San Diego.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 AM

502 posts, read 391,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
You were underwhelmed because you were not comparing Austin to the rest of Texas. It truly is beautiful when you look at it that way. I do have to agree with you that Austin is over-hyped and their PR dept. needs to take it down a notch or ten to match with reality.
This is true. I live in San Antonio and places like Mt. Bonell are heaven on Earth for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin